Forums

Topic: Spider Man

Posts 121 to 123 of 123

Th3solution

Only 6 months late to the party, but I’m having a good time with Spider-Man 2. I’m clocked at 7 hrs of playtime and the difficulty has climbed quite a bit. I don’t remember either of the first two games being quite this challenging. I may need to drop the difficulty.

Some of it has to do with the emphasis on abilities and the fact most enemy groups now have at least some that have undodgable attacks with the new parry mechanic, and that many will block most standard punch and kick attacks.

I don’t mind the special ability cycling combat, but I actually just finished FF16 and this combat system is like a more dynamic version of that one. But my internal clock is still set on the FF16 combat and so I keep trying to trigger an ability and the cooldown isn’t over yet. The abilities and gadgets refresh much slower and are a little weaker than I would expect. Same for the focus bar. So it’s made for many frustrating deaths.

Leveling up does happen quickly however so I’m hoping I can use my skill points and all the bazillion kinds of leveling currency (I don’t even know how I’m earning “hero points”, or whatever their called 😅) to somehow make this easier. The game keeps prompting me to buy more suits, but I’m like “Quit tempting me — I need to stockpile resources to spend on making myself stronger and less fragile! I don’t care what I look like right now! 😂)

I think I’m around level 12 now, so I’ve just barely scratched the surface of all the skill trees and upgrades available.

Story-wise, I really like it so far. Both Peter and Miles have some meaningful arcs going on and I’m interested to know more. I actually really like Harry in the game. I never clicked with him in the movies, but his friendship with Peter is very well executed here so far. The whole Emily May Foundation and all the pseudoscience babble is a bit much as far as suspension of disbelief goes, but hey this is a story about superhero powers, so being able to splice plant genes with a simple hexagon puzzle or kill off bee predators with a bee drone and not expect to drastically alter the balance of the ecosystem… well it’s all just something I have to chuckle and go along with. It makes for unintentionally funny moments like when Peter is at the koi fish pond and the researcher starts a sentence and Peter finishes it for her with something about layered cellular molecular structures or something and she’s like “yes, exactly!”. 😂 Peter is basically a world renowned robotics, genetics, physics, botany, aerospace and electrical engineering, biochemistry, and apparently aquatic biology expert 😂 and the only job he could get was teaching high school.

But my enjoyment of the game is quite high, despite some of my early criticisms. Insomniac really are experts at keeping gameplay fluid and fun and they’ve effectively pulled me back into the world where each play session just flies by and before I know it it’s time for bed.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

Still enjoying SM2, although I went ahead and adjusted some difficulty sliders to make the combat less frustrating. I like the way they made customizable sliders, so I didn’t have to drop the base difficulty (yet 😅) but rather just adjusted a couple modifiers like dodge/parry timing window and enemy damage and now the game is much more forgiving, despite my still being on the default “Amazing” difficulty level. I reserve the right to drop it at any time though. 😅

There’s some inconsistency of difficulty in the different encounters though, which I don’t remember being a problem in the first game. Especially some of the Flame encounters are quite tough.

The best storyline continues to be Harry’s as far as I’m concerned. I’m still early days so time will tell but I’m enjoying swinging and punching.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

I hit a very emotional point in the game that I wasn’t expecting. Just out of the blue on a certain side quest, it really moved me. For those that played the game, I’m referring to Howard’s side quest.

Otherwise, I am really noticing so much the nice polish on this entry, with just the way the city is so smooth and expansive and the way the travel is even more impressive with the wing suit. I also am really enjoying the different kinds of activities that are included and the way that it keeps things fresh. Like the trip to Coney Island for example and the various side quests.

Edited on by Th3solution

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic