Forums

Topic: Playstation 5 Recommendation Thread

Posts 141 to 155 of 155

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @OctolingKing13 Forbidden West directly continues the story from Zero Dawn, so I say it is essential to at the very least watch a recap on YouTube. I will always go for playing the game in the first instance, and only watching a recap if I need to refresh my memory.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ravix

@JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution @OctolingKing13

Yep, the overall plot is quite weird and there is a lot of world building via holodiscs and recordings in the first game too, so it is definitely a sequel to play as a sequel. I couldn't imagine playing it without the other as it is a rather bat**** crazy twist on the genre and you would have no reference to why there are robot dinosaurs and all the different teraforming systems and AI and characters from the 'before times' that get referenced within the first 30 minutes.

I think both the Horizon games are on PS Plus though?

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@Ravix Yeah, as @OctolingKing13 is new to the ecosystem, it might be worthwhile to join PS+ Extra. Both Horizons are on there, as is also FF7 Remake (Intergrade PS5 version including the Intermisson Yuffie DLC). But I know that subscription services aren’t for everyone. A year sub is $134 (you can usually get it twice a year on sale for $100/ year, at a summer sale and Black Friday), so it’s about thr cost of two full priced games. Or maybe 3-4 discounted games. So if you plan to play over 4 games from the service in a year then it’s a decent deal. (Not to mention getting cloud saves, online multiplayer access, etc). But, of course, you don’t own the games and so that is a dealbreaker for some people. Personally, I still buy some games and then play some from the service— so sort of a hybrid model of gaming.

I suspect Lies of P isn’t coming to PS+ for a while, nor Street Fighter 6 or HiFi rush.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ravix

@Th3solution that sale you mentioned is 'Days of Play' and it is usually pretty worth it for newcomers to the system and regulars, and it will be sometime soon (fingers crossed it is maybe in May again) But it is a bit random which week it falls on, and last year it was pushed back to June (according to my ps plus sub which I let expire to get it on sale a week or so later, and i'm currently due to pay June 2nd, which means that was the day the sale began last year lol)

The current pretty-rubbish sale is finished May 8th, might be a bit early to expect Days of Play to be May 8th/9th, but the sale date after that could be the winner 😆 was there rumours of a PS Showcase style event for May too?

Love a good sale and speculate 😁😁

⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@Ravix Oh that’s it - Days of Play. There’s usually quite a few good deals, including PS+.
I stacked an extra year right before the price went up so I’m actually good for a while.

As for this sale… I’m seriously considering RE4 for $20. I don’t think it will go less than that for at least another year or so. Question is, will I play it within the next year? 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

OctolingKing13

@CJD87 @Th3solution @Ravix @JohnnyShoulder wow, thanks for taking the time to help me! i think im going to try lies of p, i have watched several trailers and gameplay videos and it looks like I would love it. however, i have never played any dark souls games, so we shall see how hard it is for me. i was thinking about PS Plus, but dang it’s a lot more expensive than Switch Online if you want the Game Catalog. I’ll probably get it someday, but buy all the non plus stuff i want a lot first. will definitely watch a recap if i ever play hfw or ffvii, that’ll be useful. thanks for all yalls advice 🙂

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

Th3solution

Not sure where else to pose this question, but is there anyone who can recommend Balatro?

I can’t believe I even am considering it because at face value it looks so incredibly boring. But it’s come up from several sources as very enjoyable and addictive. I have some experience with Poker, although I don’t play a ton of it, I’m well-versed in the hands and some of the different styles of poker. But I’ve never felt the least bit compelled to play digital poker. It’s a game I think is best enjoyed in person with 3 other mates and a bunch of snacks and drinks.

I know Balatro isn’t quite a Poker game, and I’ve heard some descriptions of it but still have trouble gauging whether I’d like it. I’m particularly curious now because I’m on a weird card game kick (recently loved Inscryption and now enjoying Midnight Suns; didn’t quite gel with Slay the Spire though). And I think I can get it for “free” now if I use my PS Stars reward points on it. I have no idea how often they cycle those PS Stars offerings, but I suspect it won’t be an option forever.

Edited on by Th3solution

Ravix

@Th3solution just got to chime in a sec...

DO NOT SPEND STARS POINTS ON GAMES. ALWAYS TAKE THE WALLET FUNDS 😱

I have never seen any game on there that isn't cheaper in store when looking at the equivalent price. This game is £12.99 and for the same amount of points you get £15 credit. I don't know if it's different elsewhere, but in the UK it is clearly weighted slighty off and the value is always in funds that you can spend on any game 😁

As for the game itself, no idea 😅

Edited on by Ravix

⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@Ravix Thanks for mentioning that, buddy! I didn’t think to do the math, I just assumed it was a discounted “price” to buy the game fully rather than convert to credits and then use them to buy. Although when I do the math on the U.S. store, the game price of 3750 points converts to a value of $15, which is the base cost of the game anyways if just bought a la carte. So there’s absolutely no incentive to buy the game straight up with the points, it’s the same difference to convert to store credit on USD. That’s so weird that it wouldn’t be a least a slight discount to use your points for the game. And it’s also weird that the UK store has it costing more than just converting to pounds. I guess the issue is that you all get a better conversion rate for your Stars points. For 3750 you get £15 which equals almost $19. We only get $15. ☹️

Ravix

@Th3solution ah, yes, dollars to pounds finally paying off for something 🤑 yeah, thought it was worth mentioning as any saving is always worth it, digitally (a saving here anyway, as we now know lol) I always wondered why points weren't level to the price, but if it was designed with the US Market as a base and over there it is equal points to price it kind of makes sense that some countries get a better deal when taking the cash equivalent.

I usually just convert points any time I notice I've enough of them as the points scale to funds exactly the same regardless of which cash reward you take, so saving them up has no benefit either really.

It's been a surprisingly good reward scheme too, tbh. At first I thought it was a bit gimmicky, but the amount of games and subscriptions bought digitally add up to some decent savings, and every so often they just give you bonus points for random stuff you wanted to buy or play anyway 😁

If people that buy digitally haven't really tried it yet, they are definitely missing out on free stuff.

⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@Ravix It’s just a real missed opportunity for game publishers and Sony not to make the game exchanges a better deal than just cashing in the points. I would have likely purchased it if it was a little discounted during the promotional time period that they are spotlighting it on PS Stars, but now there’s no rush to buy, and in fact it could be on sale later, so I’ll just wait. $15 is really cheap, but it’s the principle of the thing. 😅 Full price = buy only if planning to play it immediately. Sale price = maybe I’ll grab it now while it’s discounted and play it later.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Colin incorrectly stated that it was cheaper to redeem games with the points rather than PS store credit on a recent episode of Sacred Symbols. A listener corrected him the following week! 😂

Personally I don't buy enough games of late to rack up enough points to redeem against anything. Maybe a 5 quid voucher. I maybe able to get a 20 quid one by the time PS6 comes out! 🤣

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

sorteddan

@Th3solution

I haven't played it myself but Balatro has reviewed very well on a lot of sites, should be easy enough to find some of them. Has made me pay attention too and currently sitting on the wishlist. I have way too much on my to play list to worry about it for a while though.
I also recently enjoyed the games you mentioned but don't think Balatro will be like either of those, more of a 10 minute poker game that hooks you in for hours on end. Would be interested to hear how you get on with it if you do purchase it.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Ah, I must have missed that, or not there yet. I’m only 1 or 2 episodes behind though. (As an aside, I finally tried Summon Sign and think I’m really going to like it)

But yeah, I’m with you, I haven’t accumulated many points and the majority have been through paying my subscription fees for PS+. Almost all my games played are physical copies or PS+ library games. But I occasionally buy a digital game outright. So I have $15 credit now! 😄.

It’s easy enough to get 50 points free for just starting up a game on their campaign lists but I can’t be bothered for what amounts to 20 cents in credits. 😂 My time is worth more than that!

@sorteddan For sure, buddy - I’ll certainly share thoughts if I do ever give it a go. But like you, I have more than I can handle on my plate right now and my interest was accelerated because I thought it might be a time-limited deal to claim the game. Since it’s not, I’m fine to wait until I reach that point where I’m ready to actually play it.

Because yeah, the reviews are overall quite positive. The one from Push Square was endorsing enough, but also Dustin on the aforementioned SS podcast was gushing about it. The description of the game is tough to really make sense of. The big hook sounds like getting jokers which can do different things to your hand and then stacking modifiers to make insane scores. I’m not big fan of ‘score chaser’ types of games. In most cases I like having a set path that has an ending. I usually ignore the scores you get in games. Even the rankings in games like Devil May Cry or at the end of Resident Evil runs or the MGS5 missions don’t particularly motivate me. I typically ignore them and am just happy to get through and complete the objective. 😅

Anyways, Balatro seems a perfect fit for my Portal also so I wanted to at least consider it.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah I listen to Summon Sign too. I rarely listen to the whole show, as there is always a couple of games I've no interest in. Brad is a good host and knows his stuff.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic