Forums

Topic: PlayStation Plus | OT |

Posts 41 to 60 of 751

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy to be fair there are some great indies like Crossing Souls and Celeste (both released this year). Problem is a lot of naff is distracting from the great ones.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah I still think the indie scene is quite strong. There will always be a few naff releases here and there.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tasuki

Started playing Mad Max tonight and this was a pleasant surprise for PS+. I almost bought this a few times but never did for various reasons kinda glad I waited.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

JohnnyShoulder

@Tasuki Yeah me too, it always seems to pop up in sales on psn for about a tenner. That and Arkham Knight.

I like the sound of building up your vehicle and the vehicle combat.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

themcnoisy

Q Bert is bottom of the barrel stuff. The original game is better than the remake, at least theres tension.

Im really hoping we get a sports or strategy game soon. Please Sony make it happen.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

With Beyond Two Souls releasing this month on Plus, I got to thinking — I wonder how much difference it actually makes to sales of a new game when they put a prequel or related game as a free game on Plus.

My personal experience is that it both can help and hinder my tendency to buy a new release. For example, a couple years ago I thought it excellent strategy to release MGS Ground Zeroes as a free game on Plus like 2 months ahead of Phantom Pain. It helped solidify my decision to buy TPP day 1. More recently, the inclusion of Bloodborne a couple months ago has been a real treat to play for me as a newcomer to Soulsborne games and has me actually seriously considering picking up Dark Souls Remaster. Now with Beyond TS, the intent is clear to amp up for Detroit, but I think they should have tried to release it last month or the month before because being in the same month as the Detroit release may actually deter some from buying Detroit day 1. For me, as interested and excited as I am for Detroit, I think I’ll just play the free Beyond TS first and wait on buying Detroit. I can get my Quantic Dream fix for free first before dropping $60. I realize they are completely different games, but they are the same genre and I usually like to mix things up and not play too similar games back to back.

In my opinion, if you’re going to try to amp up interest in a new release, you need to get the free game out there a couple months in advance to give people time to play the free one and then be ready to buy the new one day 1.

I don’t game as much as some, so maybe I’m way off on this and the statistics may show that most people complete the free game within the first week or two, but for me it takes time to get around to it.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

As a follow up to my comment 2 months ago, I am rather surprised that Sony put Heavy Rain on Plus 2 months after the release of Detroit. First of all, Detroit it out and has sold quite well. Will putting HR out there really stimulate interest in more Detroit sales? And wouldn’t the smashing success of Detroit actually enhance HR sales for those gamers who play and like Detroit but haven’t played the other QD games? Not to mention we just got Beyond 2 Souls 2 months ago.
Of course the sales success of Detroit shows that they evidently know more than me, because as per my comment above, I thought that giving out B2S in May was poor planning. I was obviously wrong. That’s why I’ll never make the big bucks.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

NecuVise

Well I think that Sony will focus on giving its first party games as part of the psplus offerings. That way they can have aaa games without any cost. That's what subscribers asked for, after all. Just look how many they gave away in the past year and a half and how many they gave away before that. And considering that most of Sony's first party games are single player games which lose most of their value in a short period of time after release, it's perfectly reasonable to do that. They are already selling hzd complete edition for $20 without sale...

NecuVise

WanderingBullet

Regarding the 14-days Free PS Plus Trial, if I didn't input my credit info into my account but I still have some PS credit balance left, will Sony charge my account once the trial ends? I'm asking because its for my alt. JP account.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Kidfried

I'm one of those people that pretty much plays and finishes one Plus games about every month. So, I figured... maybe we should post some more about our experiences with these games we might have never bought otherwise.

These are the Plus games I played extensively this year:
January

• Telltale Batman: Personally I found the writing in this game not good enough. It's not worse than Arkham Knight, but I would expect writing on par with the comics in a game that focuses on narrative. Also felt like choices didn't really matter too much. 6/10.
    February
  • RIME. Just in time released on Plus, because I was about to buy it anyway. Anyway, great game. Looks great, endearing story and the game play is alright. 8/10
  • Grand Kingdom. Great concept, and addicting game play. 7/10
    March
  • Bloodborne. One of the best games on the system. 10/10
  • Claire: Extended Edition. It's impossible not to constantly get lost in this game. You're constantly walking through hallways that look the same. The game isn't fun. I don't know if it's supposed to, being a psychological/horror/thriller. And the dialog and cutscenes are engaging, but overall gameplay just isn't. Sorry, devs: 6/10
    April
  • Mad Max. A lot of fun to be had in this game's first hours. Too bad it turns stale near the end. 7/10
  • Trackmania Turbo. Very good racer, that I still play regularly to this day. Don't think I'll delete it from my hard drive anytime soon. If you're into arcade racers and time trials this is the perfect game for you (online is fun). 8/10
  • In Space We Brawl. Very hard to recommend. 4/10
    May
  • Owned most games already.
    June
  • Trials Fusion. Fun and good looking, but I felt like I had done it all before in the previous outing of the series. 7/10 (add a point if you're new to the series and like arcade-y gameplay).
    July
  • Owned most interesting games already.
    August
  • Knowledge is Power. Fun quiz game with friends. Play it with varying groups of friends, or else it will run the risk of becoming repetitive too soon. 7/10
  • September*
  • God of War 3 Remastered. Played this game before, but never a lot. It's an excellent game if you like linear action. It's a type of game that wouldn't be made like this in 2018, but it HOLDS UP. Fighting is fun. 8/10
  • Another World. Played the original and this remaster already on other systems, but for some reason I really like the game. Its gameplay is really dated, though. But it's short enough of an experience to sit through. 7/10
    Foul Play. I'm supposed to like this game, as I quite enjoy brawlers, but this one is very slow. Too slow even. Game felt never ending, maybe as a result of it. I'd rather have these game be short and sweet, so I'm enticed to replay levels. 6/10
    October
  • Laser League. This is a cool game. Unfortunately I have no one to play with, and most online games end up being vs. AI games anyway. 7/10
    November
  • Burly Men At Sea. Super nice looking, but I reckon it's more of a kid's game than anything. The "choices" aren't very impactful, gameplay is non-existent and a lot of the game feels pretty superficial. There wasn't one surprising moment in here unfortunately. You can get the platinum in about 2 hours, by the way. 6/10 (add 2 points if you're 12 or younger)

PS Plus games that I had already bought (and played): Yakuza Kiwami (8/10), QUBE (7/10), Mafia 3 (6/10), Heavy Rain (8/10), Beyond Two Souls (6/10), Rayman Legends (9/10), Ratchet & Clank (9/10).

This so far has been a pretty good year for PS Plus, but unfortunately I had already bought most of its best games.

Anyway....... have any of you played Burly Men At Sea already? What do you think?

Also, I'm really interested if there are people that are going to play their first Yakuza game this month (and your impressions)!

Kidfried

Th3solution

I’ve had a few noteworthy experiences with PS Plus games this year. These are Plus games I’ve played in 2018, even though some were carried over from when they were given out last year (or the year before) and I finally pulled out of my backlog:
Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture -
I liked this quite a bit. Slow pace and certainly not without it’s problems (like the saving mechanic) but the game is beautiful and intricate and the story is interesting. I like the feeling of walking through a rural town in England. (7/10)
Bloodborne -
Became one of my favorite PS4 games. Fantastic. (9.5/10)
Abzu -
A nice chill game, akin to Flower under the sea. The music is phenomenal. (7/10)
Fez -
I’m not a puzzle fan, but I enjoyed my time with this. I have wanted to go back and get all the cubes but it’s been so long now I’d be lost. (7/10)
Severed -
Also was pleasantly surprised with this. Perfect for the Vita. Doesn’t over stay it’s welcome, and actually although it’s short and a pretty simple map, it ended up being a deeper game than I anticipated (8/10)

Some of this year’s offerings I had played already, like R&C and Batman, both of which I liked a lot.

*Some of the Plus IGC games I have targeted to eventually play and include in my official backlog: Rayman Legends, Beyond Two Souls, Rime, Valiant Hearts, Transistor, and Papers, please.

@Kidfried Wow, you are getting your money’s worth with your Plus membership! I don’t get to try nearly as many.
I also will play Burly Men eventually. I like a really short game once and a while. I’ll adjust my expectations accordingly, given your impressions of the game. For 2 hours, it’s hard not to go wrong as long as it’s decent. And I’m curious too how people who have never played a Yakuza game will respond to trying Kiwami. I’ve still yet to complete Zero. Alas, too little time.

JohnnyShoulder

I'll download Yakuza Kiwami, but I have no idea when I get round to play it. When the PS5 is out?

Gremio108

Rime has definitely been the standout from Plus this year for me. It's the classic example of a game I knew I'd like, but just never got around to buying - just the sort of game I want on Plus.

Telltale Batman was also fun, I tend to play them as a couch co-op game with the other half, so that was a laugh.

Trials Fusion and Trackmania proved to be good games to play with the kids, along with Rayman Legends (although we already had that on PS3, but it would be rude not to play through it again).

Burly Men at Sea and Yakuza Kiwami have been downloaded but, like @JohnnyShoulder says, no idea when I'll get around to them.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Thanks for posting and reviving this topic, as you reminded me to add Bulletstorm and Burly Men at Sea to my PS4's Library. Did that earlier this morning.

No idea when I'll get to them, but I'm curious enough to wanna retain the option (although I chuckled at your comment about bumping the latter up to an 8/10 if you're 12 or younger; I have a strong suspicion that I'll bound on here one day going "Woo, loved it!" because beneath all these eloquent posts, I'm a big dumb kid).

I have a much stronger intention to play Yakuza at some point, which is weirdly why I won't grab the free copy of Kiwami this month. I have a feeling I'll enjoy the entire franchise, based on the recommendation of your good self and others, so I'm much more confident in buying boxed versions and playing them in order. It's kinda why I don't take advantage of PS Plus all that often, really. They've either been things that I've played, things that I know I won't like / am not interested in, or things that I'm determined to play someday and wanna wait for the right moment.

Several times it's been the other way around; I've purchased a game full price and it's popped up on PS Plus a month later (like RiME) and I've kicked myself, but then loved the experience and ended up with no regrets paying for it (might've even felt guilty not paying).

This year, therefore, I've only grabbed two PS Plus games, because they hit the incredibly-specific sweet spot of "might give this a try someday, am only mildly curious, haven't gotten it yet and am not currently playing anything else". Ratchet & Clank (which I'd give 9/10) and Mafia III (which I'd give 7/10) were really, really great games that I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

belmont

For some reason in the EU store there is 15 euro discount for plus members in all Call of Duty IIII versions.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

WiiWareWave

Where the heck are the PS3 and Vita PS+ freebies for November?! Sony apparently couldn't be arsed with updating the IGC this month on those systems as the October games are STILL available and there's no sign of November's games at least here in the states.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Tasuki

@TowaHerschel7 They are available, I just checked the app and have been since day one. As usual I am going to have to ask to please stop spreading meaningless rumors.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic