Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 5,861 to 5,869 of 5,869

Tjuz

@Th3solution Well, well... I've given 13 Sentinels the proper shot earlier tonight. I finished the tutorial section, so I've met about seven of the protagonists and done an equal amount of combat in the around three hours of playtime. This game is a lot! Every single chapter it just throws new characters and storylines and sci-fi tropes at you to the point I can't differentiate my left from my right thumb. I am absolutely lost as to what's going on, but I think that's probably the expected reaction so far! None of this is necessarily a criticism, but I do hope the game gets a bit clearer about the happenings sooner rather than later. The key in a narrative like this is to at least feed the player regular reveals that it doesn't become just a tsunami of the unexplained. That would get tiring eventually, and I'll admit I'm already getting to a point where I'm needing a bit more of a baseline to hold onto before too many new plots or characters are introduced. I know the title promises thirteen Sentinels, but I hope they hold off on a few of those for a bit!

That said, the main gameplay loop has seemingly opened up now with the choices between Remembrance and Destruction. Looks like I'm going to have to be alternating in-between to progress the plot, which I assumed was just going to be a forced thing like it was in the tutorial. There the combat seemed to be fairly tied into the overall narrative, which if I can decide to do that at my own pace I imagine it's not so much going forward. I hope the combat part stays more than just a wave-based RTS from now on as busywork between story elements. I enjoy the combat though and so far it's been not at all challenging, so even if not I imagine I'll get through it fairly quickly and it won't be too much of a hassle. Not like I'm going to up the difficulty there to spend more time with it!

The art style is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's genuinely some of the most beautiful art I've ever seen in gaming. The animations too are so much more detailed and bountiful than I would've expected from what is essentially a fancy visual novel in its gameplay. My one complaint with it is Ms. Morimura's character design. It's... eh, a little repulsive. Now I get that Japanese art will often have overly sexualised character designs for female characters, whether it be in anime or in video games, but she sticks out like a sore thumb with the size of her melons. It's not like the character design of any of the other characters so far is quite to that level (apart from maybe the slightly too suggestive poses some have in their Sentinel portraits), so it just makes her look ridiculous. It's hard for me to take the character seriously when I'm constantly thinking about her design whenever she's on-screen, but I suppose I'll get used to it eventually. It's not like I'm a prude or anything, but I just don't think that type of art is very tasteful in these settings. At least not in what is otherwise a very serious narrative.

I'm also quite pleased with the English dub so far. I debated whether or not I should play the game in Japanese as my general rule with non-English entertainment is to watch/play it in the language it was originally created in, but I figured I probably cannot even differentiate subtitle language/audio language in this game. Besides, it's a very wordy one and playing in a foreign language definitely takes a bit more attention and energy, so I didn't want to burn myself out either if I was gonna get addicted to this. I know English dubs are often quite controversial amongst fandoms in terms of their quality, but I think this one in particular is on the right side of it all so far.

That's probably about all I've got to say for now, but I'll get back to you when I get further into the game or when more thoughts come to mind!

Tjuz

Ralizah

Maneater. It looked like a throwback to cheapo PS2 games I used to play back in the day, and... honestly, yeah, it fits that vibe. It's weirdly addicting power-leveling my shark by flipping around the ocean like a coked-up chupmunk as I eat humans and slam myself into the sides of their ships, murdering my way through a parade of absurd celebrity shark hunters. Underwater combat sucks, which is most of it, but, eh, I wasn't expecting a good game.

It is pretty funny when you get hunters sufficiently angry, because once enough boats are out on the water shooting at you the framerate absolutely tanks. We're talking single-digit slideshow territory.

But I'm a mutating killer shark, and the game cost me $5 on Amazon, so I'm satisfied!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

munkholt

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition. Yeah, got my first FF taste with 7Remake, and now I'm binge watching FF-retrospectives on youTube

munkholt

KidRyan

I've been currently replaying these 2 games. After I platinum FF7, I plan to replay Crisis Core: FF7.

No interest in playing Deltarune, until Toby Fox inevitably releases Chapters 3-5 in the future.

Final Fantasy VII (PS4 Port, replaying on my PS5)
Undertale (PS4 Port, replaying on my PS5)

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

chesheer

I'm currently playing Cyberpunk 2077 1.0 (disk version) on a PS4 Slim and it's a dumb fun. I heard and saw so much horror stories about release version, but I gotta be honest, it doesn't seem unplayable to me.
It's a catastrophe in its own right, that's for sure. But I'm ~7 hours in and had only one crash. Yes, most of the time I pray when something massive happens, yes, there's a ton of hilarious bugs, yes, view distance is a joke, yes, stable framerate left the building, but game kinda manages to hold on (I don't know how, it always feels like it's gonna blow).
I don't know, maybe it will get worse later.
Also, loading times are not that bad. Save file loads in ~50 seconds which I consider pretty good all things considered.

chesheer

LtSarge

Started up Far Cry Primal yesterday. Played it for a few hours now and it's good fun. I was a bit worried about what the story was going to be like considering the game takes place 10 000 years ago, so there are more limitations for what you can craft for a story. And it turns out the story is rather simplistic but it works. Either way, it's cool to play a game that takes place during the ice age. It's also been awhile since I played a Far Cry game, so it's nice to be back playing this series.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic