Update: In addition to winning Most Original Game and Best PS4 Game at Gamescom 2019, creative suite Dreams also took home the overall Best of Gamescom 2019 gong. Yet another Sony published title, Marvel's Avengers VR, won Best VR/AR Game, wrapping up another sensational showcase for the Japanese giant.
Sony’s booth at Gamescom 2019 did look a little light this year, with heavy-hitters like The Last of Us: Part II and Ghost of Tsushima taking a backseat, and Death Stranding not playable. That didn’t stop the Japanese giant from taking home a bunch of awards, though, as Concrete Genie won Best Family Game and Dreams won Most Original Game. Media Molecule also secured the gong for Best PS4 Game.
Elsewhere, graphic novel adaptation Blacksad: Under the Skin won the award for Best Action Adventure Game, while the anticipated DOOM Eternal was successful in the Best Action Game category. We’ve included the full list of winners below, with more to come as the Cologne convention wraps up this weekend.
Gamescom 2019 Awards Winners
- Best of Gamescom 2019: Dreams (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Action-Adventure Game: Blacksad: Under the Skin (astragon Entertainment)
- Best Action Game: DOOM Eternal (ZeniMax Germany)
- Best Family Game: Concrete Genie (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Racing Game: Grid (Codemasters)
- Best Role-Playing Game: Wasteland 3 (Koch Media)
- Best Simulation Game: Planet Zoo (Frontier)
- Best Sports Game: Roller Champions (Ubisoft)
- Best Strategy Game: Desperados III (THQ Nordic)
- Best Multiplayer Game: Borderlands 3 (2K Games)
- Best Ongoing Game: Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (Capcom)
- Best VR/AR Game: Marvel's Iron Man VR (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Hardware: Xbox Elite Controller 2 (Microsoft)
- Most Original Game: Dreams (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best PlayStation 4 Game: Dreams (Sony Interactive Entertainment)