Forums

Topic: You Died. The Dark Souls Series Discussion Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 162

CaptD

@Th3solution It is the lighting model, had they used the one in the initial reveal trailers then you would be saying "wow this world looks really warm and inviting"

CaptD

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore yeah, i remembered. The dodgeroll is a little wonky. Seems to have few iframes compared to DS1.
Unfortunately I went with cleric starting class and it has crap Adaptability. So I’ve got a long way to go.

@CaptD With a name like “Dark Souls” you’d think it would have rainbows and daffodils. 😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Excellent to hear that you've started DS2, best of luck on your journeys through Drangleic 😃 It'd be great to hear your impressions as you go along, especially given our prior discussions regarding it as the 'black sheep' of the Dark Souls family.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@Black_Swordsman So far, so good with DS2. I actually think it’s been relatively straightforward in its intro so far. The ability to immediately start leveling up is appreciated and the enemies are quite soft so far.

I went with a cleric and have done a little creative farming to get slightly OP early on. I still have a long way to go and I haven’t yet got my rapier yet, which is the weapon I had planned to main. So far the mace has worked pretty well though. Just saved up for the Ring of the Evil Eye. It hurt to spend 4500 souls but I needed another form of HP recovery since I only have two Estus flasks right now and 3 healing spells. Since my cleric is pretty squishy and I’m not going to focus on heavy armor, then I need as many ways to stay alive as possible. 😅

How’s Demon’s Souls coming along? I see that you’ve got your maxed out build and so now are tearing through bosses. Have you done Old Monk yet and if so how did it play out for you?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Old Monk is planned for later, and I am planning to play offline for that boss to get the NPC representative of Old Monk and make life easier for myself. 🤣 Also, yeah, Adjudicator went down in three hits after damaging his weak spot, and I didn't even have Curse Weapon enabled!, was pleased to get that trophy, next it's Old Hero with the Thief Ring enabled. I'm planning to clear the rest of World 4, then go through World 5, and then World 3, as Maneaters are the only other boss I'm slightly wary of after Allant so I'm saving them for later. Then just finish the game off and dive in to RotR!

Why did you decide to go with a cleric in the end? Not exactly a Greatsword-worthy build 😜 haha, just joking But yes, no, no I see you are going with the rapier. Did you go with the Covenant of Champions in order to accomplish the aforementioned farming? Keep me posted!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Yousef-

Speaking of DS2, I heard vanilla has better enemy placements than scholar.

Phoenix Wrong

My discord is “yousef.” All lowercases with a fullstop at the end. Send a friend request if you like and join my Yakuza server if you want.

colonelkilgore

@Yousef- aye but Scholar has 60 frames and the three dlc’s packaged in, all of which are better than base game.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Yousef-

colonelkilgore wrote:

@Yousef- aye but Scholar has 60 frames and the three dlc’s packaged in, all of which are better than base game.

Ahhh, true. Maybe the love for vanilla is overblown then? I saw it in some social circles who really disliked Scholar. And since I already beat Scholar and never played vanilla, I couldn’t help but ask around xD.
I still enjoyed scholar though, and the DLC.

Phoenix Wrong

My discord is “yousef.” All lowercases with a fullstop at the end. Send a friend request if you like and join my Yakuza server if you want.

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder 🤜🤛

@Yousef- I do get your point (& that perspective which is often mooted around various social media groups) but just feel the overall package of ps4 Scholar is the best overall Dark Souls 2 package (as the ps3 SotFS is still 30fps to my knowledge).

If you fancied playing through Dark Souls 2 again though and you’ve already beat SotFS, yeah why not go with the vanilla to taste-the-difference?

Edit. I could be wrong but I think the lighting in the dark sections that require torch light are dramatically improved in ps4 Scholar too.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@Black_Swordsman As for why I went with cleric — I guess it came down to a few guides I looked over and I liked the idea of starting with the heal spell which is like having a couple extra estus flasks early on. The mace was also touted as a stout weapon which could carry you a long way, even the whole game according to some.
I did a few ‘nontraditional leveling pathways’ to get a jump on grinding to get early access to Hexes and cleric was the best route for that. I haven’t done the Covenant of champions yet, but plan to.

HallowMoonshadow

Eyyy you started Dark Souls II @Th3solution? Nice!

Hope it's treating you well so far! I assume you're only at the Forest of Giants or Heide's Tower of Flame?

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow yes, you’re correct - did wander over to Heide’s Tower but am now concentrating on Forrest of Giants. I’m doing a little early grinding to stay a slightly over-leveled as I’ve been through enough of these games now to know my enjoyment is much higher if I make the game a smidge easier, especially in the early hours. For the most part the game isn’t as difficult, or maybe I’m accustomed to the From style now, but I’m sure it will probably get me frustrated in due time. So far the enemies are soft but they like to throw a lot of them at you from all angles. 😅

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah the gank squads are a bit common place in DS II's design @Th3solution

I would say you're right on the money actually and that DS II is a bit easier at first. It's especially quite easy to level up to like High 50's/Low 60's just in that Forest alone just by going through each part til you make the enemies despawn.

Plus there's a good amount of summonable allies too all throughout the game.

I've played the PS3 and PS4 versions of the game (Though the PS3 version was about 10 years ago) but other then the really notable enemy placements I couldn't tell you much about what changed

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow Yeah, since I do like to over-level, I’m bummed about the despawning enemies, ironically enough. So I’m planning to try the Covenant of Champions, although not thrilled that it makes the enemies stronger. So we’ll see.

I’ve read a lot about the change in enemy placement and quantity with the SotFS version. Was there fewer ‘gank squad’ encounters in the original?

woollypump

I bounced off DS2 a few times, but when it eventually clicked I really enjoyed it. Some fantastic bosses, and the DLC's are great.

I am replaying Elden Ring, thinking about getting a second character DLC ready before end-June. My previous character is pure melee/ strength, thinking of going for dex/faith for this one. I managed to beat Margit at RL1 with no summons or ashes, which I was pleased with. Won't disclose how many attempts that took though

woollypump

HallowMoonshadow

I honestly could not tell you @Th3solution.

I can remember the Dragon was added to Heide's tower of flame in the PS4 Version... But for the random soilder mooks I honestly cannot remember how they updated those. Bit too insignificant for me.

When I first played DS II on PS3... It actually took me a year to get around to playing it past the forest of the giants. It was only on PS4 where I actually really appreciated the game...

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow Sounds like when I tried Dark Souls 1 back on PS3 and just gave up after a few hours. Going back to it years later through the remastered PS4 edition, I made it past the area I got stuck on without much issue and of course went on to love the game.

Weird how these games are often all about timing; as in time period of one’s life as to whether they stick.

@Black_Swordsman Good to see you bested Old Hero and Storm King. Some really unique bosses exist in Demon’s Souls. Some of them are a bit gimmicky, but I really respect FromSoft for the effort. Especially since it was a completely new idea back then. They were throwing a lot of things up at the wall to see what would stick. 😄

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Yeah, thank you, old friend. I am more than half-way done with the game now. Just Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement to do now. I am a bit intimidated by the Tower of Latria, which is where I am now.

Edit: I changed my mind actually, about the order I would tackle the worlds/bosses in, Tower of Latria just seems to be more of a natural fit before Valley of Defilement, the 'Tower' appears to be quite challenging though, so I might hit a roadblock there, even with my op build!

How is your Dark Souls II playthrough coming together?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

HallowMoonshadow

I recall getting Dark Souls II on PS3 for christmas 2013 or something @Th3solution and I hadn't long finished Dark Souls I.

I wasn't really feeling it, ended up leaving it the entire year, came back the following december and finally played through it and thought it was LONG but pretty decent. Noticed a lot of the flaws that others were mentioning though.

I then played the PS4 version in... 2018/19 and I think it's mainly because of Dark Souls III on why I liked II more. Because it is vastly different to 1 and especially 3 (Which has a lot of callbacks to 1).

DS II may be flawed but... It did try to do it's own thing at least and I have to give it credit for that.

... Even if it has way too many humanoid knight character bosses!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic