Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,987

RogerRoger

@Tasuki My partner tried out WoW Classic earlier this year, and it was a huge nostalgia trip for him. It looked really nicely implemented. Hope you enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

@RogerRoger Not so much of a nostalgia trip for me, I actually started playing WoW back during The Lich King expansion. I have heard stories from others about Vanilla WoW and was always curious about it. Plus this scratches my WoW itch nicely. The only thing I have noticed leveling up is alot slower then what I remember from WoW but that's ok with me.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

Link's Awakening on Switch.

Got it in just in time for the long Thanksgiving weekend, and I've been able to get through quite a bit of it, just finishing up the Face Shrine (6th dungeon) before I came here to post (I've also already done the Color Dungeon).

I've played the original before, though I have no nostalgia for it (I first played it on 3DS VC), and have to say I'm really enjoying the remake. It's not the deepest, most complex game, but it's the kind of game that just puts a smile on your face & is turning out to be one of my favorite games of the year.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@Tasuki Yeah, I think my partner told me that lots of things were sped up in many of the expansions, including the levelling system. Which is only natural for a long-running, hugely-popular MMORPG, I guess, given how it has to adapt and cater to a wider audience as it grows. Glad you're enjoying it thusfar!

@RR529 That's quite some rapid progress! You'll be done with it soon, so make the most of it whilst wrapping up those last couple of dungeons.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Since I'm now entering an extended Christmas period peppered with family disruption, I felt like trying to focus on something new would've been a mistake (sorry, Shenmue, but it's a good thing because I actually wanna like you). So I'm indulging in some comfort gaming.

First up, I've started a new save file on Sonic Adventure DX and am halfway through Sonic's story. This isn't my favourite Sonic game, but I remember preferring it over its sequel. There's goofy charm in its uneven presentation, and some of its levels are ridiculous (remember, this is Sonic we're talking about here) but it's providing a dose of easy nostalgia right when I need one.

Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

I just got Super Lucky’s Tale on Switch, I played the demo and quite enjoyed it. It reminded me of Croc on PS1 for some reason. I have about 7 other games that I should be playing but I’m not really feeling any of them at the moment and things are a bit stressful at the mo so hopefully this hits the spot. Otherwise I might just stop trying to play games until FF7 lol.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Tasuki

@KratosMD After reading your I am going to have to check it out now. I have been on the fence on getting it especially after the last few Lego games didn't sit well with me.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

Spent the past couple days playing Super Mario Party on my partner's Switch (it was his Christmas present, which he got early so we could actually play it before the whole darn holiday was over).

Overall, it's a lot of cute fun. I didn't like having to play with one of the JoyCons (the gaming equivalent of drinking tea out of a doll's tea set) but it made sense, given the whole point of a party game and the abundance of motion controls in its various minigames. I also didn't like how, when playing across the main boards, our A.I. opponents would regularly benefit from an uncanny streak of somewhat-suspicious luck, putting us well behind them only to reach the end and see our scores dragged back up by randomised bonus stars; frankly, it felt like artificial suspense. Either that, or the whole game is just one giant Non-Competitive Sports Day for its human players, dictating that each must be a winner at some point and so throwing last-minute curveballs at the results screen until it looks right.

The minigames are the heart and soul of the experience and, brilliantly, you can just play them standalone (picking each one in sequence, or via a randomised shuffle). There's barely any loading and you always get to play a practice round first, regardless of whether you've encountered its type before or not. Some are quite challenging, others are just mad, but all are charming and given their quick pace, changing up every minute (or sooner), it's almost impossible to get bored. My partner isn't a big gamer and so, in half-hour chunks, it was the perfect way to break up our days.

Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

I'm currently playing through Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on Switch. I hated my Wii U and hardly bought any games for it because it annoyed me even just turning it on, so I never got round to this the first time. I'm marginally less annoyed using my Switch so I got this for Christmas, and I'm running it alongside more story based games when I just fancy some sweet Mario action.

I have to say I think it's really good, although from what I understand the "New" series is somewhat unpopular amongst a lot of Mario purists. I like it more than Mario Odyssey, if I'm honest, although I didn't really like Mario Odyssey so.

I'm hoping for a port of 3D World, which I've already played but would definitely play again. Totally underrated Mario game.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Glad you've found something worthy of following Trials of Cold Steel III because, given how much you seemed to adore it, I was worried all other games would pale in comparison!

Making It So Since 1987

QualityGeezer

Got a gaming PC for son so downloaded alot of emulators notably a commodore 64 collection including my personal favourite dizzy the egg

QualityGeezer

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I played a bit over Christmas and it didn't really do much for me. Will most likely pick it up again at some point but I'm not exactly rushing to get back to it lol. Glad your finding it fun though!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@KratosMD I had no idea Sports Story existed so thanks for that, Golf Story was a good fun game so I have high hopes for the sequel!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

Feeling miserable so thought I'd add another game to the rotation and started The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD on the Wii U. I've played the original Wind Waker multiple times over the years, but this is my first play of the remaster. It's still gorgeous, although the new lighting gives an unpleasant solidity to the characters in places. The shading in the original (especially at 480p) is sublime, so it's a bit of a shame. Other than that the QoL improvements are nice, although I dislike the gamepad and find it genuinely painful to use for long periods.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

vhsodre

Resident Evil 6 on PS3. A Great action game but a horrible addition to the franchise, like the previous two.

vhsodre

mookysam

@KratosMD It's delightful. Nah, I haven't got a Pro Controller although am not sure it's worth getting one at this point because of how few Wii U games I have left to play. I like aspects of the gamepad's utilisation such as the item switching, but it is otherwise so cumbersome and heavy.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Yeah, with so many LEGO games out there, I don't blame you for your story-focused approach to some of the older ones (especially LEGO Batman 2 which was the first to feature a voice-acted plot, so it's kinda the game's USP and the rest you'll find elsewhere). Glad you're still enjoying it but absolutely, don't get distracted on your way between missions!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD There'll be linear levels, yes, apparently six for each movie (so that's fifty-four in total; as a result, I'm not expecting any of them to be super-long) but they'll be connected by an open world... well, an open galaxy, by the sounds of things. I'm eagerly awaiting more information, and some gameplay footage, as it sounds ridiculously ambitious on paper.

But I'm the same as you. Sandboxes are sandboxes, no matter whether they're in LEGO form or rendered with ultra-realistic graphics. It's fun in short bursts, but the open-world challenges are always the last thing I do when trying to platinum a LEGO game. The linear levels are the best.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Continuing my run through the Uncharted series with Golden Abyss on Vita.

Played through it once on release and was thoroughly impressed. Coming back to it hot on the heels of the remasters of Uncharteds 1-3 was somewhat jarring initially.

The compromised visuals and the tiny Vita sticks inspired a feeling of 'perhaps I should just skip this one'. Thankfully, the overall presentation - the rousing Uncharted theme and nostalgia for my original 2011 awe at the wonderful achievement of a studio other than Naughty Dog transposing the Uncharted formula to a handheld experience won out. And I'm glad it did.

The gunplay still feels compromised, but the game does compensate with a better feeling hand to hand experience and somewhat dimmer-witted AI.

And while the visuals are a significant downgrade from playing the PS4 remasters, once away from the drab prologue Golden Abyss really shines, aided in no small part by the mostly good animation and tight direction. The cast is a significant factor in selling this game too and thankfully get to work with a script that feels every bit as Uncharted as 1-3.

While most of the expected control scheme remains intact from the home console games, there are of course the Vita specific inputs. I'd forgotten how annoyingly unnecessary some of it is. But for all of the forced screen swiping to cut bamboo and the pace stunting tilt to balance mechanic, there's the still pretty charming charcoal rubbings and labour saving path drawing for Drake to climb. There is a 'hold the Vita up a light' bit, I've not hit that yet, but it is a nice use of the camera I think.

I had also forgotten totally about the (now disabled) Black Market/Near functionality. Near! Remember that? I really liked that!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Kalvort

Started Mario Odyssey last night. Enjoying it so far! Not gonna get all the moons as trying to clear the never ending backlog.

Next in line will be: Link's Awakening & Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Kalvort

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic