Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 1,992

nessisonett

Physically cannot bring myself to play more than 5 minutes of Knuckles’ Chaotix and Sonic 3D Blast. Both just baffling creative decisions and aren’t fun to play in the slightest.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

DemonStar89

I have recently been replaying FFX and Juiced on PS2. One I've never been able to finish because I'm a scaredy-cat is Haunting Ground.

DemonStar89

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger That's a wrap on Sonic Adventure. Took me longer than I expected, but I didn't recall seeing a few bits in the game the last time I played it, so I guess I did a bit more exploring than I expected. Enjoyed it, even if the janky camera angles ruined at least a few lives. Up next, Sonic Advance and it's sequels. Perhaps I should play Adventure 2 and then Frontiers instead, given they are direct sequels to Adventure. 😅

@nessisonett Fair. Some Sonic games have aged well, others haven't. Some people get confused by the idea of Sonic CD still, but as long as you don't see it as "gotta go fast" and more like exploration platformer, you'll be fine.

BeerIsAwesome

BeerIsAwesome

@DemonStar89 I love Haunting Ground! And I have to say the graphics are probably the best I've ever seen on the PS2!

BeerIsAwesome

nessisonett

@BeerIsAwesome I know some people can’t see past the jank with the Adventure games but I do think they hold up, if surely just by way of being insanely ambitious for the time. Considering the previous attempts to bring Sonic into 3D were a dodgy isometric platformer and Sonic Jam’s surprisingly cool hub world, it’s a gargantuan leap forward for the series.

BeerIsAwesome

@nessisonett Sonic games get treated unfairly for the same things Mario games get wrong, and still get lauded for. Not to say Sonic games aren't due their criticism, because they often are, but considering Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and Sonic Heroes are all 20 years old at this point, I would say they need more of a sympathetic eye cast over them these days.

BeerIsAwesome

nessisonett

@BeerIsAwesome Sonic Heroes is one I have really fond memories of, I had that and Adventure 2 Battle on the Cube, which is more than the Mario platformers on that system! I love Sunshine more than most but Sonic probably gave it a run for its money on that system.

BeerIsAwesome

@nessisonett As I recall, Sonic Heroes was a pretty solid game, even with the dubious voice acting. I'm looking forward to playing it again!

BeerIsAwesome

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome Adventure is absolutely one of those games where you'll invariably notice something new every time. It's packed with detail, and whilst its multi-story structure leads to a lot of repetition, it also guarantees that it's easy to miss a few cool things here and there. As somebody who enjoys frequently replaying his favourite games, that's not a complaint!

I wouldn't worry about Frontiers. It does a good job of telegraphing its connective tissue. I'm sure you'll still be able to appreciate its nods and references by the time you get around to it.

Darn it, I wanna replay the Advance games now. They should've added 'em to Origins.

@nessisonett You were lucky to have Heroes for your GameCube. I had the PS2 port and sure, it was good enough to make me love the game (and fall back in love with Sonic in general, after a brief hiatus) but when I eventually got to play it on GameCube, it was like night and day. If they ever decide to randomly remaster it, SEGA definitely need to use the GameCube version as a starting point!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger It balances itself out, I had the Wii version of Unleashed, which I gather is the inferior version!

theSpectre

Control on PC and Tears of the Kingdom.

theSpectre

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger I'll say. If I go by what I remembered of the game, it almost seems like I've forgotten entire sections of the game, so it was like playing an almost brand new version of the game entirely! Perhaps I should replay it more often. 😅

Origins or no, they should rerelease the Advance games on something other than the Japanese Wii U virtual console. And I'm pretty sure that store died at the same time as the 3DS stores. Maybe they have an exclusivity deal with Nintendo? I don't know, but I'd pay for a rerelease.

BeerIsAwesome

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oof. Yeah, here's hoping for an Unleashed remaster, so you can play the "proper" version!

@BeerIsAwesome It's one I frequently skip over, despite my previous statement, because of the sheer amount of stuff it's got going on. I get exhausted by the idea of playing through everybody's storylines and end up opting for the far more straightforward, far more linear Adventure 2.

Not sure about any exclusivity deal on the Advance games. I'd hope not. We've seen other third-party GBA and DS games make the jump over the years (the Ace Attorney trilogy, for example) and I'm pretty sure SEGA and Dimps worked on 'em in isolation, so it's not like anybody else would own part of the underlying code or anything. I'd pre-order any kind of Advance resurrection in a heartbeat!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger Fair enough. I grinded out a DC Universe Online platinum using the incredibly crossed over campaign. That was not the most fun I've ever had on that game. Sonic games didn't get much linear after that though, especially with Shadow The Hedgehog's 130-something endings.

It's hard to tell with Sega. They absolutely could be just fine to port over, but Sega has a weird relationship with the meta era of their games. Rivals 1 and 2 never came off the PSP either, and neither did the Wii games for obvious reasons. I feel like in an alternate timeline we could've got those games on the PlayStation Move.

BeerIsAwesome

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger Sonic Advance 1 down, helped massively by having the emeralds shared between each character. In Advance 2, they aren't, which means you have to earn them 5 times over. Never owned Advance 3, so that hopefully there will be a pleasant surprise for me. After those, it's Adventure 2.

BeerIsAwesome

RogerRoger

@BeerIsAwesome Kudos for collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic Advance. Despite being a huge fan of the trilogy, I'm ashamed to admit that I've never collected a single emerald across multiple playthroughs of all three games. I probably could if I really focused, but I seem to recall failing on my very first attempt and taking it as a sign. I know it means I've missed out on the "true" endings (same with Heroes, given that I have the PS2 port with its broken Special Stages) but that's what YouTube is for!

Shadow the Hedgehog is one of those games where I don't mind replaying certain pathways over and over, because I happen to think the ending is worthwhile (and Shadow's character arc, tracked from Adventure 2 through to Sonic '06, is excellent) but it still took me many, many years (and finding a near-complete save file on an old memory card) to bother seeing it for myself.

Best of luck with Advance 2. Are you gonna give the emeralds a shot, or not even bother? And I hope you end up liking Advance 3. I think it's very underrated, but it's also very tough!

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Started playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on Series X. First impressions are very positive! The game came out in 2003 on the original Xbox but it holds up so well and it feels so ahead of its time with mechanics such as wall-running. You can clearly tell Assassin's Creed was inspired by this series. The game also has excellent save as well as checkpoint systems. I'm definitely going to be enjoying this game a lot and I'm glad that I've finally started playing this classic franchise.

LtSarge

BeerIsAwesome

@RogerRoger Thanks muchly. I did kinda save scum a couple of them with the emulator I was using. If something is so obscenely difficult, I generally avoid it. I didn't get the emeralds in Sonic Blast because they were too much of a faff. Heh, ironically the bad ending is actually the canon ending.

I'm actually going to skip Sonic 06, but not because it's an awful game. Well, kinda because it's an awful game. Sonic P-06 is on the home straight in terms of development, because all it really has left is some open world content and the endgame levels. I'll be playing the game the way Sega originally intended it rather than how it was shipped. I'm told they had the team split in two to work on Sonic And The Black Knight, and future criminal Yuji Naka just upping and quitting halfway through production. Looking forward to it!

Thank you. As above, if they are too difficult, nah. I'll almost definitely like Advance 3. I have been playing this entire franchise through rose tinted glasses. Even the terrible physics of Sonic Spinball didn't bother me.

BeerIsAwesome

nessisonett

@LtSarge Sands of Time was one I had on the Cube as a kid and remember enjoying despite some difficulty spikes. There was a room with loads of gears that made me somewhat sick of the music that plays when you rewind!

Kidfried

@LtSarge Good choice! Sands of Time is easily the pinnacle of the series. From that game on it went somewhat slowly downhill. That being said, I can still recommend playing Forgotten Sands (it is set immediately after Sands of Time!) and Warrior Within (I like the edgy vibes).

I didn't like Two Thrones myself, but your opinion could differ from mine of course, so if you want to complete the series go ahead of course.

Prince of Persia 2008, though... I know the developers meant well, and had some great ideas, but ultimately the game is just very repetitive and doesn't have a lot going for it gameplay wise.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic