Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,982

Anti-Matter

Ni no Kuni PS3

Disney Universe PS3

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

I'm playing Jak 3 as a PS2 Classic on PS4 and yeah, out of the three, it's the one where the disappointment that these aren't the Mass Media remasters from PS3 is most understandable. Performance is lousy across the board, although it's still perfectly playable, I suppose.

Back when I played that HD trilogy, I thought Jak 3 was brilliant, mainly because I played all three games one after the other and had expected to burn out, yet never did. Coming back to it now, and after a long break from its predecessor, I'm less impressed. I love that they ditched all that overcrowded city and hover car nonsense, but I still noticed the fact that it took me a good hour to get to what I'd call a "traditional" level. The writing isn't as sharp, either. Daxter is still Daxter, but most of his jokes have been pretty weak and generic, almost if they were scribbled down the day before Max Casella showed up in the studio.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun; I just suspect that my previous opinion of the game will have shifted slightly by the time I'm watching the credits roll in a couple days, s'all.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Jak 2 is possibly one of the worst games I’ve ever had the misfortune of playing so I just never went onto Jak 3. I really liked the first one as well. It’s quite an odd series actually, never really knows what it wants to be.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oh yeah, no matter what, Jak 3 is a VAST improvement over Jak II. There's still a lot of vehicle nonsense, but it's all Mad Max weaponised dune buggies instead of those awful, broken hover cars, and the map is a sprawling wasteland instead of a claustrophobic city. When it stops mucking about and goes back to its roots, the platforming can be pretty solid, too.

But you're right, every game seems to have an identity crisis. After the kart racer (which, given how much time you spend behind the wheel in Jak 3, kinda makes sense as a follow-up) there's Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier, which is all about dogfighting space pirates. Because sure, why not?!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Jak and Daxter is an amazing game, Jak II is the biggest atrocity to ever touch this earth and Jak 3 is better than the second game, but that's not saying much. I actually played through Jak 3 last summer and I wrote down my thoughts on Pure Xbox. I managed to find them, so I'll post them here:

"Just finished Jak 3 on PS3. This game was much better than the second one. Better checkpoint system, less frustrating missions (but still quite a few frustrating ones that feel like they should belong in Jak 2), more variety, better weapons (without the rifle that bounces shots around, I think I would've honestly enjoyed this game a lot less) and a more interesting story. Not to mention that it was much shorter than Jak 2. I finished Jak 2 in 15 hours and Jak 3 in 9 hours, which is nice to see because Jak 2 had a lot of padding in my opinion. At the end of the day though, I didn't like Jak 3 that much. I thought it was a decent game but it just doesn't feel good to play and it leaves you frustrated more often than it should.

I honestly just don't see the appeal of this franchise anymore. The first game was brilliant because it had a clear focus, which was to be a 3D platformer collectathon game. And it worked out great, I loved that game! Then Naughty Dog decided to switch up the formula for the second and third games and I think the series became worse as a result. The mechanics just weren't as good as the platforming mechanics. Shooting sucks because you can't aim and there's no strafing either. Racing sucks because of wonky controls and dying instantly if you drive into a wall and you have to start the race over from the beginning. Driving in general was an absolute pain in Jak 3 as well. Like I just don't find these games to be fun at all and I don't understand how anyone would want another game in this franchise. I know people have been wanting Jak 4 but I don't want one at all if it's going to be just like the second and third games. If it improves the shooting and driving mechanics then yeah, I'm all in. But based on what I've played so far, I don't want to play more games like these. They're awful, I want more games like the first Jak in that case.

And I mean, just look at how the other PlayStation franchises have evolved compared to Jak. Ratchet & Clank is an amazing series because the satisfying gameplay has been preserved ever since the first entry. Sly Cooper is phenomenal as well, I played the second game last year (might play the third one soon as well) and it felt like such a huge step-up compared to the first game and most importantly, it still felt like Sly Cooper! These franchises have evolved nicely, while Jak seemed to have just poorly replicated whatever was popular at the time.

Regardless, I'm finally glad to be done with the PS2 trilogy after almost a decade of having it in my PS3 backlog. I won't be playing Lost Frontier on PSP because I'm done playing Jak games in the style of 2 and 3. However, I do have Daxter on my Vita because a lot of people have spoken fondly of it so I'm definitely giving that game a shot"

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge Wow, you didn't hold back there! You're not wrong, though. Even with my fond memories for it, and only having replayed its first few hours, I'm nodding along with everything you're saying about Jak 3 there (like how the yellow rifle with the ricochet shots is immediately the game's best and most useful weapon, and how the checkpoints are much improved, too). I think the decision to "darken" Jak II and use the series to chase trends is where it all went wrong, and everything that came afterwards was a desperate attempt to claw back some of the first game's magic without doing a full reboot.

Thanks for finding and sharing your thoughts! Despite being a fan, I do think the series is overrated, and a lot of its reputation has to do with blind reverence of Naughty Dog (who are very, very good developers, it must be said; they just aren't above making big mistakes every now and again, either). Speaking of which, Daxter and The Lost Frontier were handled by different studios. It's been a while, but I remember that I was slightly less impressed with Daxter. I enjoyed The Lost Frontier a lot, though, to the point where I recently double-dipped and got it digitally for my PS Vita. I might boot it up soon and see if my memories hold up, depending on how much of my tolerance is drained by completing Jak 3.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

I was really young, like really young, when Jak II released. And I loved it. I don't want to ruin that memory :')

Kidfried

LtSarge

@RogerRoger To be fair, I wrote that post right after I had finished the game so I was still very frustrated, lol. If I had written a piece today, it probably would've been more mild (but also less detailed). I think the post I wrote for Jak II was even harsher lol.

It's interesting that you feel like that about The Lost Frontier and Daxter because people usually feel the opposite about those games, i.e. Daxter is better and TLF isn't that good. Would love to read your thoughts about TLF after you've played it again. You might change your mind about it just like with Jak 3.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

themcnoisy

@nessisonett @LtSarge @colonelkilgore woah ECCO ze Dolphin. That's a proper blast from the past. Hated it then, hate it even more now. It had a terrible gameplay loop and was boring as heck. No idea why it's reviews were almost perfect. As it wasn't.

Compared to say Sonic, SoR or Thunder force it was a load of crap.

I've been playing on the x1x

Forza Horizon 5
Truly spectacular, great controls, awesome scenery, brilliant in the moment action. Ruined by having to trek for miles to get to a race and the Fortnite esque presentation is embarrassing. I would love to get rid of Avatars and to have a list of events you can click on, which transports you there. Otherwise it really gets it nails into you with a billion events all over the place and 700+ cars to collect which all look amazing so far. I have 50 cars in my garage right now, including a Supra (nearly ticked all its skills) I wanted to have for reals if it wasn't for my kids. Unfortunately my real car (Coralla GR Sport which has room for kids) is locked behind the bloomin season pass / car pass paid dlc. Forza has always been a great game and Horizon 5 is no different, truly is best in class control for a controller equal with GT. But the bloat makes me yearn for a next gen Forza racing sim or Gran Turismo.

Microsoft Flight Simulator
Truly a technical marvel I could fly from my house to yours @Ralizah and scoop up @RogerRoger on the way back ROFL. Issue here is the controller binds are such a wall to overcome. But I'm into planes and eager to learn so once I've finished Horizon will give this a proper go. Amazing game.

Spartan Assault
One of the worst twin stick shooters ever made.

Among Us
You've all played it. I wasn't impressed. (Mainly because I got murdered first, twice in a row).

One last thing which has worryingly become a thing is recurring spending. Both Horizon and Flight simulator have stores which encourage you to dip in. Although they are 'extra' content, as someone who wants the full experience it's alluring. Playing Minecraft with my daughter, the add-ons are essential really - these add-ons are pocket money. In Forza the first big add-on is £35 and in Flight sim there are planes for £10 and even city night lighting packs for equally absurd amounts of money.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ralizah

@themcnoisy That'd probably require a good deal of gas in order to cross the atlantic in both directions.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

@themcnoisy woah! You have to pay extra for cities to be illuminated at night on Flight Similator... that doesn't sound consumer friendly 🤔...

**** DLC!

Anti-Matter

DDR EXTREME 2 PS2 USA

The Sims Bustin' Out PS2

Anti-Matter

crimsontadpoles

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker (3DS). The Devil Survivor spin-off games have a weird mix of Shin Megami battling and demons, strategic fighting (including a Fire Emblem style grid based combat), and visual novel style story telling. It's an odd mix, but it works. I'm enjoying it so far, but I think the first game had much better story telling and characters.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2. This game unfortunately never released outside of Japan, but the fan translations are excellent. I'm in the middle of case 2 now, and having a blast with it.

themcnoisy

@colonelkilgore Sorry man I wrote that slightly wrong. In flight simulator you can fly the whole world. It uses a top down view from live satellite images to make the world. You have a full day and night cycle and stuff.

The downside is it looks weird close up, some areas look great like my local area strangely as I'm on the end of a built up area before a load of greenery and golf courses. Cities look weird as the building are the wrong height and wrong types of building etc which is understandable as the whole world is simulated from satellite images.

As an example the Merseyside river front is replaced by High rise towers. So with that in mind cities aren't correctly positioned vertically. So the lighting is off. In the game you have 40 fully accurate airports,with over 37000 altogether. Around 30 relatively accurate tours, one of which is London with the Tower of London and Houses of parliament. Almost everything else is from the satellite imagery.

You can purchase packs, such as planes, cities, night lighting, world artifacts and such from the store. The prices are staggering honestly for what you get. If you could grab say a plane, better version of say Norwich and some artifacts for a fiver I could be interested. But when it's £10 for a city lighting pack you lose interest quickly.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

PhhhCough

If non-ps4 we're talking about exclusives, halo infinite on the xb. Dread on switch. If not exclusives, control ultimate on xb with some max Payne 3, dying light on switch.

Edited on by PhhhCough

PhhhCough

colonelkilgore

@themcnoisy no problem buddy, I was just having a giggle more than anything, what with Microsoft’s almost saintly image as a friend to the consumer and so on. I appreciate the in depth explanation of Flight Simulator though 👍

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

themcnoisy wrote:

Microsoft Flight Simulator
Truly a technical marvel I could fly from my house to yours @Ralizah and scoop up @RogerRoger on the way back ROFL.

Ralizah wrote:

@themcnoisy That'd probably require a good deal of gas in order to cross the atlantic in both directions.

I'll go plant a tree.

We might even need one of those mid-air refuelling planes, like in Air Force One. Let's just hope the an absence of Gary Oldman keeps it from exploding in our faces!

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Started playing Renegade Ops on Xbox 360 today. I remember playing it for a while over 10 years ago (!) but I never finished it. Decided to pick it up again today, started a new save file and this game is bloody amazing! It's like Just Cause but as a fast-paced twin-stick shooter and it's soooooo much fun! I can't believe how overlooked this game is, especially since it was actually made by Avalanche Studios, the Just Cause developer. It also made me remember the good old Xbox Live Arcade (and PSN) days of getting these smaller digital titles that were absolutely outstanding. I personally loved all the twin-stick shooters, which we barely get any of these days. And when I mean twin-stick shooters, I mean ones with an arcade design where the goal is to just get through levels, shoot everything in sight and get high scores, i.e. simple pick up and play games. Because that's what Renegade Ops pretty much is, but it also has its own quirks and since it was made by the Just Cause developer, you're going to see a lot of destructible environments and explosions and it's just pure fun. I highly recommend playing this game, it's just so good!

LtSarge

mookysam

Started Fable Anniversary for the Xbox 360 the other day (via backwards compatibility), as I never played the first one and thought I would give it a playthrough before replaying Fable II. And it's effed, buggy and makes me want to throw it in the bin. The main issue is the save system, as autosaves are very infrequent, and you can't properly manually save. That's okay, there's Quick Resume, the naive Sam of Thursday thought as he turned the Xbox off for the evening. But no, Quick Resume in fact decided not to work at all, despite the game being compatible. So, I ended up redoing a load of stuff. Turned it off yesterday after I -did- get an autosave (the icon flashed and everything, and it's on the save menu), only to turn it on today and discover that not only did Quick Resume still fail, the game had not actually autosaved everything I'd done, reverting me quite far back. Worse still, the bloody thing has hard locked in a game-breaking bug preventing me from continuing. Early on there's a quest at the Heroes' Guild where you have to train by beating up a straw dummy, and then go off and kill some beetles just minding their own business in the woods, before there's a time jump. Now the straw dummy isn't there, so I can't progress. Just ugh. What a cheaply made, ugly and nasty port. And don't get me started on the jittery camera that gave me motion sickness.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

LtSarge

@mookysam I started playing Fable Anniversary last month actually and I definitely recognise the issue of not knowing when the game will save. I haven't encountered any bugs, but I've still not had a good time with the game because it just hasn't aged that well at all. Combat is so clunky and the story is so uninteresting. I've had a hard time getting back into it, especially since I've been playing other RPGs that are more compelling.

I've heard though that Fable 2 and 3 are better than the first game, but I still want to play through the first one before I get around to those games. It's just too bad that it's not that good, at least in the beginning.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic