Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 1,585

KilloWertz

Metroid Prime Remastered

Does this mean I'll actually turn my Switch on and play a game on it again?

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Yeah there was, although I haven't heard many people talk about it. It could be because it came out early on during the Switch's life cycle and it was "just another" 2D platformer from Nintendo. I do want to give it a go down the line though. Seems like it's a hidden gem for the system!

Well it's interesting you say that because Nintendo is actually shutting down the Wii U eShop next month. I can't imagine how crazy expensive games for the system are going to get from then on. So it's probably a good idea to buy everything that I want to get now.

LtSarge

Ralizah

I actually liked the New 3DS version of Yoshi's Woolly World quite a bit more, since it also ran at 60fps, made fantastic use of the system's 3D capabilities, and felt more at home on a portable system. Also, some added content that wasn't in the Wii U version. You lose co-op, but I never liked playing that game with other people anyway.

It's a 10/10 platformer no matter where it's played, though.

Yoshi's Crafted World is a disappointment in comparison.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

LtSarge

@Ralizah What is worse with Crafted World compared to Woolly World if you don't mind me asking?

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge YWW is a traditional Yoshi's Island-style game that combines puzzles and exploratory level design with traditional platforming. YCW, on the other hand, significantly decreases the amount of traditional platforming and emphasizes interacting with background and foreground elements in order to solve puzzles/collect items, making it feel more like a scavenger hunt in comparison. There are still some decent 2D-style levels, but even its best levels never hit Woolly World's highs.

Also, the soundtrack is a significant downgrade from Woolly World. The game's dynamic resolution also goes shockingly low at times, although the game does a good job of hiding this if you're not sensitive to such things.

It's not a terrible game. There are significantly worse Yoshi games, in fact. But it's not a great follow-up to Yoshi's Woolly World, which is one of my favorite modern platformers.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Scored a copy of Live A Live for $30 thanks to the gift card I received for pre-ordering Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope. Not sure when I'll get to it, but since it was published by Nintendo, I doubt the price will go much lower any time soon.

It's a Square-Enix game with a stupid title, which means there an outsized possibility it actually ends up being amazing.

RogerRoger

@LtSarge @Ralizah Interesting stuff about Woolly World vs. Crafted World. I found the latter to be very cute but yeah, also kinda shallow. Didn't feel compelled to stick with it in the same way I have some other first-party Nintendo platformers. Sounds like I played the wrong one!

Also...

LtSarge wrote:

Well it's interesting you say that because Nintendo is actually shutting down the Wii U eShop next month. I can't imagine how crazy expensive games for the system are going to get from then on. So it's probably a good idea to buy everything that I want to get now.

...had no idea that deadline was due but you're right, get whatever you can, whilst you still can!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

@Ralizah @RogerRoger Apologies for the very late reply!

@Ralizah Thanks for the detailed explanation! I got a very good picture of the differences between the two games. I'm definitely more in favour of the Yoshi's Island formula as I love exploring and collecting stuff, so I think I'm going to enjoy Woolly World more than Crafted World. I might get Crafted World sometime down the line but I feel like it's not as much of a priority as Woolly World.

While we're on the topic of Yoshi's Island and the Wii U eShop shutting down soon, I remembered that Yoshi's Island DS is on Wii U. Is that game worth playing?

@RogerRoger Well, I do think that you probably had a better experience having played Crafted World first rather than Woolly World since the latter didn't set a high bar for you.

Out of curiosity, are there any Nintendo platformers you're looking forward to playing on Switch? I know that the Kirby's Return to Dreamland remaster is coming out soon and that's my favourite 2D Kirby game.

Just preordered Like a Dragon: Ishin on Series X. I'm very excited for this one! It's been a long time since I played a Yakuza game (not counting my playthrough of Judgment last year).

LtSarge

RogerRoger

@LtSarge That's true, and a nice way of looking at it. That made me smile, thanks!

Well, it's my partner's Switch, so a lot of what I play I'm playing for him to watch, as a lot of modern games are outside of his ability. I don't really get to pick the games (although I'm sure I could make a few suggestions, I'd feel weird doing so). I didn't realise that there was a remaster of a 2D Kirby game in the works, though! He skipped the latest Kirby because it was 3D and controlling a camera is borderline impossible for him, but he can manage some 2D platformers, so I'll bring it to his attention. Cheers!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Kirby and the Forgotten Land doesn't have a free camera system. The camera dynamically tracks the character across the levels on its own. It was actually one of my disappointments about the game, since it makes it feel not entirely dissimilar to a 2D game.

There's actually a demo up on the eshop, I believe. You could have him try it and see how he handles it.

@LtSarge I've never played Yoshi's Island DS. My understanding is that it's one of the more highly regarded Yoshi games in the series, though.

If nothing else, it won't murder your ears like Yoshi's New Island.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

I dusted off my Switch the other day and played the demo of Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I really enjoyed and seemed like a fun ride. Then went on the eshop and saw the price. I don't feel that it is worth that price, so that has gone on the wishlist whilst I wait till it goes on sale or I find a cheaper physical copy.

Also played the demo of Sea of Stars. Totally not for me unfortunately, too old skool in its design for my liking. Appreciate what it trying to do though, and it looks great with lovely animation.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

@RogerRoger Ah, I see. Well, the game is actually coming out next week! So if you're looking for a fun and relaxing 2D platformer you can play together (as the game has co-op), that would be the one to get.

@Ralizah Ah, okay. I might get it since it's so cheap, but the question is how well the controls are on Wii U. DS games on Wii U tend to be a hit or miss in terms of how well the controls translate to the gamepad. I'll have to do some research before buying it.

Haha, didn't know the music in New Island was that bad!

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge

Enjoy the beautiful sounds of Yoshi's New Island, where the key instrument appears to have been a dog's squeaky toy. It's like an entire soundtrack composed by clowns.

The game has some tolerable music, but most of it is composed of short, repetitive loops that eventually become wearisome on their own.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Oh, cool. Didn't realise that about the camera, thanks for the heads-up! It's funny 'cause I remember your review quite vividly, but mainly because it made for an enjoyable and informative Kirby history lesson, at a time I knew next-to-nothing about the lil' guy. I think I might've mentioned it to my partner, but he often takes "3D" to mean "unplayable" as a general rule, and the fact we didn't get it and play it tells me that's probably what happened here. Guess I'll go back and try again, then!

Making It So Since 1987

LtSarge

Made some more retro purchases today. For Xbox 360, I bought Driver: San Fransisco, Blur and Blood Stone: 007. Each game was around €20, which I feel is a decent price for these games. I've heard great things about Driver and Blur, and Blood Stone is apparently one of the better James Bond games (not to mention that it's an original story). So I'm looking forward to playing these!

For Wii U, I bought Yoshi's Island DS, Kirby: Power Paintbrush and Advance Wars: Dual Strike on the eShop for €10 each, which is an absolute steal considering the prices for physical copies. I now have access to all the Yoshi's Island games (except for Crafted World), so I'm looking forward to going through this series in the future. As for Kirby: Power Paintbrush, I wasn't interested in this title before. But I'm interested in the sequel on Wii U and I want to try out this spinoff series before getting the sequel. In terms of Advance Wars, I decided not to get the first two on GBA as they're being re-released on Switch in a few months. So I thought I could at least get the DS entry while I still can.

I think that about does it for eShop purchases on 3DS and Wii U, except for one title that I haven't decided on yet, which is Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. The game is €40 on 3DS eShop, but a physical copy costs €150. So I think it would be for the best to get the game digitally and save me a lot of money. But I might decide on that later on.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge Is Advance Wars: Days of Ruin not on the eshop? Real pity if so. It's arguably the single best game in the series. I guess even Nintendo wants to forget that weird moment when the series went grimdark and post-apocalyptic.

LtSarge

@Ralizah For some reason, no. Which is a bit of a shame since I just looked it up and it seems to focus more on the narrative side compared to previous entries, which is appealing to me.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just ordered Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush on Wii U for €30. I tried out Power Paintbrush for a while yesterday and came away very impressed by how fun and simple the control scheme was. It reminded me just how creative Nintendo was with their games during the Wii/DS era (at least in terms of controls), which is something that we sadly don't see much of these days with Switch games. So I definitely want to play the sequel as well now!

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

LtSarge

Just ordered Dirt 2 on Xbox 360 and Chaos;Head Noah/Chaos;Child Double Pack on Switch for €55 in total. Was only planning on buying the latter since I realised only one store has it in stock and like always, I got afraid it would run out of stock lol. Then I saw that they also had a used copy of Dirt 2, which is apparently one of the best games in the series, so I wanted to get it as well.

Really looking forward to delving into other Science Adventure stories now that I've experienced two Steins;Gate titles.

LtSarge

LN78

A couple of interesting Monday morning finds:
Untitled
and
Untitled
No idea what "Tron" involves but if memory serves, "Conan" is your bog standard "God of War" clone.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic