Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 6,741 to 6,760 of 7,479

Ralizah

@nessisonett I actually can't relate to that sentiment at all. I absolutely love XI's symphonic overworld theme (it's very grand and extra, like the Legend of Zelda theme), and thought VIII had one of the worst soundtracks in the entire series.

Granted, keep in mind I said the symphonic version that's in XI S. Like most of XI's soundtrack, the MIDI version in the original PS4 release is almost unlistenable.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah I just find it so grating! Same as the battle theme, which I really wish I could change. And then there’s one dungeon theme in particular which goes super shrill at certain moments. There’s like zero variety as well, there was a massive opportunity to compose music that fit the varied cultures in the game, but there’s about 1 or 2 town themes in the whole game. It’s a minor slight on a fantastic game but it’s probably the worst crime that Koichi Sugiyama’s committed, including the rampant homophobia and genocide denial 😛

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett What? No! I love Unflinchable Courage.

Admittedly, the first part of it is a little quirky (it sounds like it was ripped out of a tv show made in the 1960s), which is most of what you'll be hearing, but it's a solid battle theme overall.

I also liked how it featured a mix of new and old tunes, which fit particularly well with the S version, which feels like a celebration of the series' history.

I mean, it's not Xenoblade or Final Fantasy-tier music, but I had no issues with it when I was playing the game.

If you want a JRPG with a questionable soundtrack, look no further than Persona 3. This song, in particular, which plays during the majority of the school life sequences, made me want to claw my ears off.

Some of the music in Tartarus as well:

The battle theme is super catchy, but the rest of the soundtrack... eugh

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Hahaha, think we just have different tastes because I love the majority of Persona 3’s soundtrack! Other than the Tartarus ‘music’ of course, although it still beats the Mementos theme from 5 at least!

Ralizah

@nessisonett Neither is a particularly appealing piece of music, although I'd still go with P5's Mementos theme if push came to shove, as it lacks the ear grating noises in the background.

Still, Mementos dives were my cue to put on a podcast or something in the background. Particularly once you get to the point where the Morgana van can insta-kill all of the enemies in your path.

Most of the P5 soundtrack is 10/10, though. Probably the only Meguro soundtrack I actually really like, tbh. While he doesn't have the same celebrity factor/name recognition, Ryota Kozuka's work on SMT IV/IV: Apocalypse/V blows away almost everything I've heard from Meguro outside of P5.

Although, if I'm being brutally honest, the Atlus series with the best music is easily Etrian Odyssey. Yuzo Koshiro did amazing work on those games.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Etrian Odyssey IV is my dream record that I’d buy in an instant. I haven’t played enough of the rest of the series to judge though! I do have Persona 5 on vinyl but if I’m being honest, I wish I’d waited for the box set with 3, 4 and 5 given I love about 80% of all 3 of those games’ soundtracks.

Ralizah

@nessisonett EOIV is my all-around favorite in pretty much every way, but the level of consistency in terms of how good the music is has been pretty remarkable. Some fans maintain that Koshiro's genius is best suited to chiptune music (to the point where Atlus has offered premium DLC for recent games featuring chiptune remixes of all the tracks in the games), but I've always felt like being able to utilize a wider array of actual instruments really boosted what he's capable of. Even when it comes to remaking tracks from early games.

Like this one from Etrian Odyssey Untold:

Which was originally a track in Etrian Odyssey 1:

Both catchy, but there's more depth in the newer track.

Although that's not universally true. A few tracks that received updates in newer games and remakes haven't been able to match the originals. One in particular that comes to mind is the Etrian Odyssey III boss theme, where the original theme's intensity has never been topped by newer versions.

It sort of reminds me of how Xenoblade DE featured remixed music, and 90% of it was a massive improvement on the original's score, but then the new version of You Will Know Our Names added too many instruments and lost the ferocity of the original.

LtSarge

Played through wave 3 of the Mario Kart 8 DLC today with friends. Didn't like this wave as much as the previous one. I'm getting fed up with all the tracks based off on real-world cities. They all look the same, except for a few that stand out like Tokyo and Sydney. The new Christmas track wasn't as good as I expected it to be. It looks great, but it's way too short and generic in design. Shouldn't come as a surprise that the ones I liked are returning tracks like Maple Treeway, Peach Gardens and Rainbow Road from 3DS. Alpine Pass is pretty good as well. So at least 50 percent of this wave was good.

I just wish they would stop with the bloody city tracks. I'd rather have more retro tracks like DK Mountain, Peach Beach, Bowser's Castle from 64 and so on.

LtSarge

Bentleyma

I started Pokémon Scarlet yesterday and can definitely see myself enjoying it despite all its issues. The world just seems like it’s going to be fun to explore and I love how upbeat and colourful Pokémon games are. I’m looking forward to finishing Dragon Age: Inquisition and getting into it properly.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

LtSarge

Yesterday, me and my friends decided to check out some N64 games on Switch Online and we chose Pokémon Snap because I thought it'd be fun to play a game where we compete for a high-score. That didn't work out as I thought since the game tracks a cumulative score, so instead we decided to just play through the entire game. The game isn't as long as I thought, it only has six main levels with a seventh bonus one. We managed to unlock all main levels and played through them in just two hours. After that we felt pretty much content with the game. It's fun but there's just not much to do, so I'm glad we experienced it through Switch Online instead of buying it.

As a side note though, I think it's awesome how versatile the online component is in the N64 Switch Online app. You can obviously play N64 games with multiplayer online, but you can also swap out the controlling player so that everyone gets a turn to play. That's how we played through Pokémon Snap, we played one level each. It's just such a great system, not only can you play through multiplayer N64 games but also single-player ones with other people. Because honestly, I don't really have the motivation to play some of these older games alone. So it's nice to play through them with friends.

It's also made me interested in buying New Pokémon Snap on Switch. Maybe I'll get it if I find a cheap copy of it.

LtSarge

Haruki_NLI

@LtSarge That online controller swapping/playing against each other is part of the emulator for all 4 current NSO systems. It's what will allow Goldeneye to have online play while Xbox won't, because the emulator itself assigns controller ports to network ports. Pretty nifty, if obvious to do.

And yeah, experiencing these games via this way does really add something, especially getting stuck and swapping control to someone on the other side of the planet. And they don't even advertise this festure

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Bentleyma

Been playing the Harvestella Prologue Demo. Despite the Switch’s specs, I still find myself being impressed with how a lot of Switch games look.

Untitled

I’m enjoying the game enough that I’m tempted to buy it once I’m done with Pokémon Scarlet.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

RR529

Lol, took some screenshots of a mobile game ad that was blatantly stealing XC2 character models.

Untitled
Untitled

EDIT: game's name is EDGE: Mech-Ascent.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Got Pokémon Violet, I’ll start it sooner rather than later but I still have a little bit left of Arceus and Xenoblade 1!

Ralizah

Even my brother-in-law who has played maybe three console games in his entire life has been playing through Pokemon Violet. The sales for this generation are going to be absolutely monstrous.

LtSarge

So that's Pokémon Violet wrapped up. It took me 49 hours and I pretty much explored everything.

This was a phenomenal experience and easily the best Pokémon game ever made. For the first time, it actually felt like you were on an adventure. There was also so much stuff to do in the world. Usually, Pokémon games take around 20 hours to finish (at least for me) but you can easily spend 50+ hours in Scarlet/Violet.

I'd also like to retract my previous criticism about the lack of level scaling in this game. The fact that you can wander into an area with high-leveled Pokémon, or tackle a gym that has a gym leader with high level Pokémon makes the experience more challenging. People have complained about the lack of difficulty in Pokémon games for ages now. Finally, we have a game that's actually challenging. This should absolutely be the new direction for the series. The only thing I'd like though is for the devs to add indicators on the map showing which level you need to be for each area, kinda like in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Furthermore, I really enjoyed the story and characters this time around. There wasn't much story but what was there was really emotional. It made me care about the characters a lot. This is the first time I've ever cared about the characters in a Pokémon game.

The ending was so freaking cool. Didn't expect the story to go in a direction like that lol. If this is what we can expect from Pokémon stories in the future, I'm definitely excited for what comes next.

So yeah, I'm really glad to have played this game. It finally feels like Game Freak has produced a game that doesn't feel like an experiment but a full-blown entry with a new direction for the series. If they just take their time with the next game, they can easily top Scarlet/Violet. Either way, I'm actually excited for the future of Pokémon.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ralizah

@LtSarge I was pretty happy with the level of challenge in Scarlet's endgame. And Legends: Arceus was challenging throughout. It's very nice not being able to sleepwalk through their more recent games. I've never wanted, like, SMT levels of difficulty, just something that'd keep me on my toes, and both of their recent games have accomplished this.

LtSarge

@Ralizah It's good to hear that Arceus is challenging as well. I'll have to give it a go soon, hopefully next year as long as Game Freak doesn't release a new game lol. I'm glad that I skipped it in favour of Violet as I would've been absolutely burned out on Pokémon at this rate.

LtSarge

Grumblevolcano

@LtSarge It's most likely that 2023 has DLC for Scarlet/Violet, that's how they approached Gen 8 (the mainline Pokemon content in 2020 was the Sword/Shield Expansion Pass).

Grumblevolcano

Ralizah

So, a few of Nintendo's games get... well, pretty much the game equivalent of an anime theme song. Well, the English version of the Fire Emblem Engage opening leaked, and... uh...

It's 100% cringe, but I... kinda like it? Reminds me of when I was a kid and watching the butchered 4Kids dub of an anime, complete with an entirely altered English-language theme.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic