Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,761 to 3,780 of 7,479

belmont

@Ralizah Thanks for the link. It seems that they changed GTS with ... GTS? It seems to be the same thing...
One video review mentioned that you can't request specific Pokemon. They may be mistaken though.

On another video they mentioned that you cannot try to catch wild Pokemon that are higher level from what your badges allow you? Oh man imagine encoutering a Shiny Pokemon that you can't even try to catch. This is "throw the console out of the window" kind of bad. Who thought that this was a good idea?

I guess I won't buy the game at launch, let the dust to settle and see what the Home app will be.

In the 3DS they kind of lessened the third version thing. X/Y did not have one, Emerald was never ported, Sun/Moon got lazy updated versions with only the final hour or so changed but with not enough changes.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

crimsontadpoles

I've been reading various reviews for Pokemon SwSh. The less positive reviews (such as Eurogamer's) resonate with me more than the very positive ones. The negatives factors, such as not being able to transfer all your pokemon or the lack of dungeons and not enough exploration, are likely going to have a bigger impact for me then the things that are being praised about the games.

Plus I'm hearing mixed things about whether there's a GTS. I really hope there's an equivalent of it in the game that allows you to deposit pokemon in exchange for specific other pokemon, along with searching for specific pokemon. Guess we'll know for sure on Friday when the online services should be up.

I consider myself a pokemon fan and would probably still get enjoyment out of them, but still being a bit disappointed at the same time. It's not something I'd want to get right away, but could be tempted further down the line especially when they're cheaper either in a sale or second hand.

It's a Pokemon game. I do like Pokemon games, but a few big things along with lots of smaller things (some of which are very subjective) are deterring me from wanting them.

If I had my usual hype for Pokemon games, then I'd probably have a Switch right now and be eagerly awaiting my preorder for the game to arrive. Still might get a Switch before too long, getting a bit more tempted, but Pokemon isn't what will convince me to get one.

Anyway, despite my negativity, I don't want to detract from those looking forward to them. If you're eagerly awaiting these games, then have a great time with them.

Ralizah

So I finally got my Zacian & Zamazenta Switch Lite, and it's fantastic! I've experienced some issues with diagonal inputs on other Lites I've tried, but this hasn't been an issue at all with mine. In fact, the D-Pad is good enough that I went back to Celeste and collected the rest of the crystal hearts using the D-Pad exclusively (and, lemme tell you, that is NOT a game you play if you're having issues with diagonal inputs; I just used the analog stick before, which was fine but imperfect).

I'm sure I'll probably play something on the Switch Phat again at some point, but nothing comes to mind right now. The appeal of the Switch for me is its ability to play games away from the TV, and this thing is just a lot more comfortable and portable as a handheld device.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

If it helps anyone, and it probably doesn't, but I have never ever got into Pokemon in any way and all this talk about Pokemon has me feeling like an 80 year old man at a grime gig wondering what happened to his life. I was just too old to get into it in the 90's and it just seems even harder to work out what is going on.

This is in no way a criticism of the game/phenomenon as millions of people can't be wrong but as an outsider the whole criticism and fanatacism of a vocal minority seems bewildering.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego Can you join your club? Any benefits?

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

redd214

@Rudy_Manchego I too never got into it as a kid, but now having kids of my own who are, I agree the outrage is astonishing. There are franchises that I'm a big fan of that have had a few bad games, but I've never flown off the handle line some of these "adult" Pokémon fans. Crazy a fictional game about trapping imaginary creatures causes so much real world anger lol.

redd214

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder Well the joiners fee is pretty big and the benefits is you get a newsletter made up of me shouting at the clouds and complaining about the youth. You also get a badge that just says 'No'. Fully worth it!

@redd214 Pokemon does seem to have a addictive quality to it - I guess that is why it resonates with so many people. It must be a hard balancing act to follow - it needs to get new generations of kids into it as those are the ones that keeps it relevant but also have to please fans who have been playing from the 1990's.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Octane

@Ralizah I dunno. I've been lumped in with the ''dexit complainers'' every time I criticised the game, even though I've stated multiple times that I don't care about the lack of national dex (in fact, I kinda like it). So it definitely works both ways.

The ''biggest'' problem I had with the reviews is that none of them went into details when it comes to the mechanics. They removed a ton of moves, probably altered stats, new items, the mandatory Exp Share. None of it is mentioned. How is balancing this time around? It's the stuff I care about, but it seems that all reviews are coming from a very casual point of view; ''Wooloo is cute, Dynamax is big, 8/10''.

Anyway, I still think it's quite disappointing that it's an incredibly safe entry (with minor graphical issues included). Pokemon is the number one media franchise when it comes to revenue, so I don't understand why they wouldn't expand their team and make a this a big deal. Yokai Watch 4 looks more ambitious than this game really, and that says a lot. It seems like ''alright'' is the standard they're completely fine with.

@Rudy_Manchego I don't know if it's a minority. They got #gamefreaklied trending number 1 one Twitter. The problem is that the franchise has always tried to cater to as many people as possible, and people like the games for different reasons. But they've slowly moving into another direction, and as a result, some people don't care at all, but to some it's seeing your favourite franchise get worse with every entry. There's certainly a ton of things I would've liked otherwise in this game. I'm getting it, because I got it quite cheap, and it's the first time in ages when I've avoided all the leaks. But from what I've read about the mechanics, I don't expect I'll like it that much. But discovering the new Pokemon should be exciting.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane
1) The people angry about this game are absolutely a vocal minority. It's not terribly difficult to get a hashtag trending. Previously, it was #thankyougamefreak, or something like that. It'll fizzle out in a couple of days and be completely forgotten.
With that said, even a minority can harm the reception of a product if they're loud enough about it, and hardcore fans are the ones who will help to keep your product afloat long term, so angering your fanbase doesn't seem like a viable long term strategy. Granted, I don't think most of the anger is legitimate or reasonable (disappointment I can understand, but not the almost apocalyptic levels of anger we've been seeing), but the PR response from GF and marketing in general has been terrible.
2) Most reviewers aren't hardcore competitive players, so they'll be approaching it from a casual perspective. With that said, having read a number of reviews that go into details about what they liked and disliked about the game, I do think your characterization of them is unfair.
3) I wouldn't really lump you in with the hardcore anti-SwSh crowd. You're firmly situated in reality and just don't seem enthralled by what you know about the games, which is fair enough.
4) GF's approach to design change has been conservative and incremental for generations, so I don't really think it makes sense to expect them to be ambitious with SwSh. People seem to think they're obligated to create home console scale experiences on Switch, but I don't think GF has any interest in that. For them, Switch is the closest thing to a new Nintendo handheld (and it is, if you count the Switch Lite), so they're just making the next handheld entry in the series for Nintendo's hybrid system.
5) Yokai Watch is changing because it has to. It's yesterday's news, and the series' clout is drying up fast in Japan. Desperation often leads to innovation, and safety to stagnation. I'm sure that's the logic behind the anti-SwSh people who have been trying to get others to boycott the game and force a change.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

I know some people were worried about this.

belmont

@Ralizah Thanks for this. There goes one of my complains. It is still a bizzare decision. It would make more sense to catch it but not use it till you get the relevant badge like older games.

The servers open in a few hours. I would like to see the new online trading and battle system in action.
I don't really know if this is good news but they said they cut the pokedex to make better assetes and animation for people and mon included? Seeing some videos this seems ... well a lie. They really seem copy and paste from 3ds with minor upscale. Now I really want to try the games and see for myself. I may try to hunt a copy.

belmont

mookysam

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy My progress has halted somewhat but hopefully I will be discharged soon. The headache is relentless and I'm so tired. :-/

Anyhoo, that is a cool Pokémon team! I can't for the life of me remember what my final team was in Moon. My starter was Litten and I grew quite fond of Incineroar, so used him until the end. In Let's Go Eevee I tried to use Pokémon I hadn't before which mixed things up a bit for me.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

mookysam wrote:

The headache is relentless and I'm so tired

I can only imagine @mookysam... Really do hope you recover soon!

In regards to your Let's go Eevee statement (Haven't played it myself as no switch... also I don't particularly fancy it if I did)

I think that might be how the Omega Ruby team I have now was formed (Haven't touched it for two years and found the save was just outside Roxanne's)

Cus I wouldn't normally pick Elgyem (The alien one from Gen V) and the others being of Totodile, Petilil, Houndour, Nidoran & Electrike.

They're ones I like but I haven't actually used.

Be nice to finally try a nidoking out though.

By the way are you saving Sword & Shield for a later date @Ralizah or are you diving in tomorrow?

Either way I'll be interested in hearing yours and others thoughts on it

I was just curious now the Pokémon bug has ended up hitting me full force

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well, considering I'm smack dab in the middle of three or four hugely long games already, the sensible thing to do would be to wait a while until my plate isn't quite so full.

Unfortunately, I'm not always a sensible person. I've got it preloaded on my Switch and will be playing it when it unlocks at midnight.

Besides, with Cyberpunk, Animal Crossing, and FF7R coming soon, I've come to accept that I won't have any gaming downtime until 2021 at the earliest.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

-Looks to the 2DS I'm now playing then to The Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2 and Legend Of Dragoon-

I think I'm part of the not always sensible club too... Is there a group shirt or hat? 😁

Ralizah wrote:

I've come to accept that I won't have any gaming downtime until 2021 at the earliest.

Especially if you're still attempting to try Dark Cloud again, revist Jade Cocoon 1 and play Digital Devil Saga 2 next year as well 😅

Grookey I presume will be your starter in ... Shield?

I'll be looking forward to see your thoughts too on @KratosMD with Scorbunny

Your Death Stranding posts have been good reads and made it actually appeal to me more.

Here's hoping after that slight wobble in the week and terrible Game freak PR you end up enjoying it!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Octane

@Ralizah To be fair, if they don't have interest in making a ''home console experience'', than they should've priced the games at €40 instead of €60. Because now I have every reason to expect something that's on par with Zelda, Mario, Spider-Man, DQXI, or any other €60 game.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@Octane That is a good point - the USP of the Switch is that it is a home console you can take on the go, and though I know a lot of people love it for the portability, for the same price point you should be designing a home console game.

belmont

@KratosMD I am be in the minority but since Emerald and Fire Red I have 6 perfectly EV trained Pokemon that I still use in Ultra Sun and always used in end game content. I never bothered with training other pokemon. Most look lame anyway. The fun was always completing the Pokedex. I find it very fun to "catch them all", do GTS trades etc. even though by the time you catch them there is nothing to do with them. But that is something I can't do in the new main entry for no real reason at all.

@Octane To be honest even at 40 Euros there is no excuse to not having all the pokedex or reusing assets and animation. They blamed the bad 3ds hardware for the limitations of Sun/Moon but the Switch is way more powerful.

I am still looking for how online trading works. Some videos claim you cannot ask for a specific character like GTS but they may be mistaken.

belmont

Octane

@belmont You can still catch them ''all'' in SWSH, there are just less of them in the game. You can still complete your Pokedex.

I've heard that online is a limited version of GTS, but I've also heard it's pretty much the same, so we shall see.

It depends. I think for €40, there's a lot more you can get away with. But I've seen gameplay, I've seen the pop-up, the rather bland Wild Area, the lack of graphical polish, and to me that's not what a €60 game should look like. They kinda lied about the whole cut dex thing, because the ''improved animations'' are nowhere to be seen. It's a straight up copy paste job from XY and SM. To be fair, I'm fine with that, because it wouldn't be practical to recreate every Pokemon from scratch for each game. But I do wish they added more animations now that they have less Pokemon to worry about.

So IMO, the cut dex is a good thing; however, I personally don't see the improvements that should've come with it. If that makes any sense.

Octane

belmont

@Octane Sure it kind of makes sense less pokemon but better visuals and animation except they did almost nothing. The models and the animation are clearly upscaled copy paste from Sun/Moon so they had no real reason to cut the number of the characters. If I remember Let's Go retailed for 60 Euros as well.

belmont

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic