Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,621 to 3,640 of 7,480

HallowMoonshadow

I assume the Minor & Major league thing is basically only for lore purposes @KratosMD . I bet there'll be two MAYBE three gym differences between the games.

They probably won't even mention the other supposed leaders at all besides some throwaway comment and l seriously doubt there'll be an actual gym rotation mecahnic or anything either.

100% agree that Game Freak have some exceedingly awful communication skills to boot. All the other blunders they've had doesn't help the reputation of them either.

The livestream could've been used to showcase some battling against exisiting monsters like a Pidgey or something, maybe a teensy bit of the wild areas or something... or hell even the second stages of the Starter pokes.

Just a ponyta variant is rather poor to say the least

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

KratosMD wrote:

Speaking of the Pokémon livestream, am I the only one who is seriously getting fed up with Game Freak/The Pokémon Company lately?

Judging by the fact that people have been losing their minds over Dexit for months now... probably not.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah Same here. Graphics are great but portable play is more important to me. I would never have sat down for Skyrim if I hadn’t played it on Switch. As long as performance is stable then graphical fidelity is less important.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RR529

I was away from my TV today, so instead of progressing in Astral Chain (which I like playing on the bigger screen), I popped in Dragon Ball FighterZ and got a quite a few offline VS matches in, and then returned DKC Tropical Freeze to replay some of my favorite levels.

Sometimes it's nice to go back to older games for a shakeup.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HallowMoonshadow

Thought I'd post this... Always found Zero Punctuation's reviews fairly funny but his time with Astral Chain had me laughing quite a bit (Even though I don't know anything about the game in question) with his more negative view on it.

The off comment about his time with fire emblem three houses was good too

Some light spoilers I guess (Not too sure if the spoiler in question was known about beforehand but it sounds pretty obvious to me), a decent amount of cursing and a few more adult (NSFW) references!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

His review of Dad of Boy is pretty good, too. I like how he lampoons Sony's tendency these days to make games where the cameras cling to the backs of the characters.

PS: The Fire Emblem jab is... not inaccurate. There's a TON of unique dialogue to read each time you first explore the campus in a given month.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Speaking of Astral Chain, I think I just started the final main story chapter. I'm not even all that well versed in more skill based action games, but I've been playing it on Pt Standard and It's been a great time so far.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Haruki_NLI

So I have a very odd but pervasive issue with the Switch Lite.

It's not save data sharing, or game sharing, or buttons, or analog sticks.

It's this damn screen.

Apparently the colour temperature is warmer, and this is also true of the revised Switch, meaning its actually more accurate than the original model I have, where the blues are more vibrant because the screen is "cooler" in colour.

But when I was playing Sonic Mania on my Lite, I got to the Puyo Puyo boss battle in Chemical Plant and....yikes. I cant see the difference between the Green and Yellow Puyo, or the Blue and Purple ones.

This isn't an issue on my TV (I have it colour adjusted slightly) nor is it an issue on the admittedly less accurate Switch OG screen, because it's cooler. But on Switch Lite, with its more accurate colour balance and temperature....means that any game without a colour blind mode is now harder to play for me than on my original Switch.

This is a very me issue, as I'm colour blind, but man, it's kinda rough.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Rudy_Manchego

So I got sent the Witcher 3 on Switch early and have managed to put a couple of hours in. Note I do have the PS4 version and put about 11 hours into that so have played both.

Not sure what I think of the port to be honest. The cut scenes look good and being in small indoor environments are ok but it feels ver soft and fuzzy when out in the world. Handheld is worst but the tv is not much better. On the plus side, it is buttery smooth and the sound is excellent. I am not one to complain about graphics as they are not my thing and I could be playing pre-day one patch but this does feel slightly like an inferior version. I played some of the other ports like Skyrim and Doom on Switch and did not feel like that but this one feels slightly off.

Still a marvel it runs at all and I know this is the only way I will get through it but be warned I have a feeling this may come up in reviews. On the other plus side, install size for the first patch is only 3.2gb with physical cartridge which is pretty small.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

belmont

@Rudy_Manchego So it has a big patch... So much praise for "having all game in card". Meh physical games don't really exist anymore.

YS VIII is larger than I thought but I am at a point where the story is more interesting and the stupid jokes have stopped. There are performance issues on some indoors area so I can't reccomend it if you have the PS4 or Vita versions but surely go ahead and get it if you have no other version.

I got "worse that death" a 2d survival game for ~6 pounds since it had a launch discount. The big Final Fantasy sale is still live but I may get some games some other time. I have them on the Vita but I really want them everywhere!

belmont

Kidfried

@Rudy_Manchego I hope you'll have a good time with it regardless of port quality.

I still recommend against playing the game on hand-held. It's a very cinematic game, the type that I don't think translates to handheld well without losing a part of its charm.

For newcomers to the series, The Witcher games take quite a lot of investment. I know many people that quit the series after either playing a few hours of 1 or 2, and even also (like Rudy) quitting game 3 after over 10 hours. These are slow burn games, that you need to invest in before you really get them.

That's not meant to dismiss anyone who stopped playing these games after a few hours, and decided it was not for them. This might very well not be the game for you if you don't feel like sacrificing that much of your precious time into something you don't enjoy that much.

Kidfried

Ralizah

Eh. Handheld play is the only reason to get it on Switch unless you don't own any other modern platforms. I get why some people don't like playing big, cinematic games on a handheld, or in handheld mode, but it has never bothered me, personally. If I dock a game, it's usually just because I'm near a TV anyway, and because of the performance benefits of doing so.

A friend of mine is getting this version, so I'm going to wait and see what his copy looks like. With that said, I do hope enough people buy it to make the port worthwhile: it's only the second game on the system to ship with a 32GB card, and the first game that did this never even launched overseas. It seems like CDProjektRed did everything imaginable to get it running well on the Switch. I've heard lots of Switch owners say they'd be willing to accept reasonable compromises to play big third party games on the system. Well, here you go.

Anyway...

I'm about 40 hours into DQXI S now, and really loving it! The game is so consistently charming. No matter what you do, every town, every room, etc. has something to find, something rewarding to uncover, and it makes exploration an absolute delight. The QoL updates take away the few grumbles I've heard from other people about other versions. The music is just terrific with actual instruments. I'm not sure if it's my favorite RPG on the system to date, but if not, it's just a few steps off.

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@belmont I guess the patch is big but to be honest, for third party games this is tiny and I believe it might be language packs from what I have read.

@Kidfried Well to be honest, I bought it so I could play handheld. I know it is a large and cinematic game but I do badly struggle to play 100 hour games in front of my TV. I am just over half way through AC Odyssey and at 50 hours and I have been playing off and on since July. This is because I steal the TV here and then but the Switch I can steal more time here and there. As @Ralizah said, the reason to play it on Switch is for portability and I am happy to compromise I just feel that possibly the compromise is more than that of other ports. The game is still the game so quality is there and it clearly not a cheap and easy port and I think this is the best chance I would have if finishing this behemoth.

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego I find it easier too to finish longer games on the Switch then say the PS4 or Xbox One as I don't feel that I am hogging the TV so to speak especially for games like DQXI or Witcher III. It's one thing for me to play something like Call of Duty on the TV where matches are quick and if someone wants to use the tv I can easily finish up what I am doing. A big story driven RPG not so much cause there is that ok after this cinema or let me just get this last quest etc. With the Switch I can just undock it and go.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

HallowMoonshadow

Wait wait wait wait... Tokyo Mirage Sessions is getting ported to switch?!

... Didn't it not sell well though at all on Wii U? Like even in Japan it sold poorly?

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki Yeah, I find that big open world games also work for a quick blast on handheld for a side mission or something and you can keep the game running and hop back into it on Switch. Have fond memories of exploring dungeons on the toilet in Skyrim

Kidfried

@Rudy_Manchego @Ralizah Yea, I get all that. And if you're willing to make those compromises in favour of portability, then all power to you (and CDPR for making it possible).

Just wanted to express how I think a game like The Witcher 3 suffers from portability not only technically, but also... conceptually, if that is the right word.

Just like I think it's a waste when I see people in transit watching my favorite movies on their mobile phone. You just lose a bit of the atmosphere.

I am very old fashioned like that.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, TMS is due out on Switch in January. And yes, it did sell poorly everywhere on Wii U. As did most Wii U games without Zelda or Mario in the name. Thankfully, Switch owners actually buy games developed by third party developers.

I would have sprung for an uncensored Switch version of the game, but since it looks like the Western Wii U version's censorship is in every version of the Switch release, I'll pass.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@Kidfried No, I getcha. What I'll often do with Switch games is play the side missions and grind and explore in handheld mode, and then dock it when playing large story missions. Best of both worlds. When push comes to shove, though, I'll opt for portability every time, as I prefer my games to be as accessible as possible. Especially long ones.

It's fine to wait for optimal conditions to watch a two hour movie. 50+ hour RPGs demand a much larger chunk of my life and aren't nearly as reliant on maintaining a constant sense of tension or atmosphere.

With that said, I understand the inclination. I'll sometimes insist on people watching certain films in the theater (as opposed to watching them on disc) for that exact reason.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic