Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 4,501 to 4,520 of 5,545

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution yeah I get why Returnal would be the perfect counter-point to RDR2. I am super keen to play it too as I have a good idea that I’m gonna connect with it. It’s not gonna be next for me though as I’ve already kinda settled on chipping away at the GTAV online trophies while I wait for GoW:R to release. Once I’m over the hill though (100 plats) I’m gonna be far more relaxed on my schedule and will doubtless fit Returnal in sometime early next year.

@Lavalera well, hopefully you’ll be able to enjoy it a bit more when you restart it. What I will say is that I think this game in particular really comes down to what frame of mind you’re in going in. I’m naturally always in a rush (though my missus would strongly disagree 🤣) and the pace of RDR2 really triggered me because of this. As a result, if you are intent on going back to it, I’d wait until you have a whole lot of time on your hands with little else to do.

@render I’m currently on 62 golds so just the 8 more to go. I’m pretty sure that I have a few missions that I can get gold on after a few attempts too… so that should be okay. It was the 10 skills challenges (each with 10 different challenges) and studying and killing each and every animal that I was severely behind on though.

I’ve kinda caught up now as I’ve been consciously chasing the skills challenges in particular. So I think I have roughly 20 challenges left and maybe 50 animals… ish.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Glad you loved Red Dead Redemption 2 so much. It’s such a special game for me, not just because I adored it but also because it was the first game that really showed my mum how cinematic and sweeping games could actually be. It’s both a technical showcase and also just a bloody good story.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett I’ve noticed that you’ve mentioned your mum and the fact that she games a few times over the time that I’ve been on here. So RDR2 was the game that got her involved then. That’s really cool… as I said in my post, I’d love nothing more than my father to give RDR 2 a proper go, as I honestly think it would give his upcoming retirement a boost of something to be interested in.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore As much as people go on about RDR2 having complicated controls, I can say for a fact that the way the game shows the controls on screen depending on the context of your actions is really helpful. It being relatively slower paced compared to other third person shooters also helps. I’d say it was a perfect game for your father, it’s got loads of content without it feeling overwhelming and there’s a narrative to keep him hooked.

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I bought it for my Dad, as he found God Of War 2018 too fast paced, so thought it would perfect for him as loves a good open world to get (literally) lost in. But, alas it didn't click with him and he did play it for a fair few hours.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder well I’ll certainly run the idea passed him… but highly doubt that he would have any interest whatsoever. Honestly, the looks my parents give me when the subject of my gaming hobby comes up in conversation are priceless. 😂

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

Divinity: Original Sin 1

It's finally over. Good grief.

A complete contrast to when I finished Original Sin II... where I was honestly tempted to play it all over again.

It's all I honestly want to say on the matter anymore.

I'm done

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

jdv95

@HallowMoonshadow ouch.

Also kinda suprised because the game got universal praise for the writing. is 2 that much better that 1 just gets ruined for you?

jdv95

HallowMoonshadow

As I said to Rog in the PS4 games thread @jdv95 I'd like to give the game the benefit of the doubt and say it's more of a me thing.

It obviously didn't help I kept slogging through it when I was quite clearly not enjoying it.

The tone of the writing is the problem for me personally.

I've said before it's quite goofy at times compared to OS II which was more serious overall (whilst still having lighter hearted moments and humour when needed).

It's hard to say much about the writing without talking about major plot points... Needless to say the reveal of why a villain had become the way they did came across more like an Eastenders plot and was without a doubt the main reason for my souring of the story as before this reveal I was more invested in it.

Didn't help most of the main characters weren't very enjoyable to me either or at best were kinda just there.

OS II does feel more polished in every regard.

... That's the short answer 😂

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KilloWertz

@HallowMoonshadow Well, if anything positive came out of it, I do plan on checking out Original Sin II at some point and just skipping the first one since you've been talking about the series and the sequel is on sale right now on PSN. I obviously don't need to play the fist one to enjoy the sequel, and I've been ignoring the game for too long. I love a good RPG, and obviously that's a great one.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

HallowMoonshadow

It is a CRPG with an Isometric viewpoint so... I'd recommend you give it a look first and make sure it's up your alley @KilloWertz.

There is quite a lot of dialogue to be had (it is all voiced though) and you might find it to be a bit cumbersome on a controller for what was made ideally for mouse and keyboard.

There are multiple difficulty levels too as on Classic difficulty the combat did get tough at points, especially towards the end

Oh and it is LONG. OS II took well over 120 hours for me to complete... Though I was doing very side quest I could! 😅

KilloWertz

@HallowMoonshadow I have no problem with the genre or the viewpoint. I like Diablo as far as the viewpoint goes, and I loved Dragon Age: Origins (even if I haven't played much in that particular genre of RPGs). I also don't mind a lot of dialogue, especially since it's all voiced like you said.

I assume you can change the difficulty once you start the game? I'd be ok with that as long as I can drop it down if I get stuck somewhere in the game.

The length is not as issue either. I've spent 150 hours each in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla, and also spent probably at least 120 in Horizon Forbidden West, so I'm ok as long as the game is engaging enough to keep me going. From the sound of it, that shouldn't be a problem.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

nessisonett

@HallowMoonshadow I’ve bounced off Original Sin multiple times so perhaps I should just move onto the second one! Especially seeing as the sequel’s on my Steam rather than PS4 so I can use a mouse 😂

Jimmer-jammer

@LtSarge @JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution

A casualty of the ‘bigger is better’ philosophy. It’s a shame, as bombing around such a beautiful rendering of ancient Egypt feels like a gift. I can’t fathom why a developer would pour so many resources into environments that serve no purpose, but here we are. Anyway, glad I’m not the only one with mixed feelings about it. Cheers!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore Bit late to the party here but glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Red Dead Redemption 2! It’s in a class of it’s own and is one of the rare prequels that really does make the original even better. When the saga is taken as a whole, it is a truly epic western tragedy that I still think about. And I agree completely with you on the hunting aspect of the game. Many sessions of mine were spent simply exploring and hunting. For how much more popular GTA is, for me RDR is a far more accomplished, clever and relevant series. Good luck on getting that platinum!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer cheers buddy… think that the platinum is going as well as possible, apart from finding and killing every type of animal. I still have around 40 left to find 😅

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@ThereThere yeah I think it’s a particularly good game to play while a partner/friend etc. watches along. I’d be interested to here both your thoughts and those of your missus once your done.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@colonelkilgore 40! Wow, really hope that includes fish and birds.

colonelkilgore

@Jimmer-jammer I know right… it includes birds (& their the real pain from my experience so far) but not fish. Having said that, I don’t think you need every fish for the platinum (I could be wrong though).

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

I mean ya might as well jump ship to OS II @nessisonett if you've tried OS I multiple times but not got on with it.

It's set 1000 or so years after I and changes most of the lore introduced in it anyway so ya won't miss anything barring a character or two who returns 😄

As long as you don't chose the highest difficulty setting @KilloWertz (in which the game does tell you that you can't adjust it if you select it) then you can change difficulty whenever you like with the others.

The sequel was also published by Bandai Namco so there's plenty of physical copies that can go pretty cheaply unlike the original. At least there was here in the UK... I got OS II brand new nearly 3 years ago for only £13 😁

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic