Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 4,281 to 4,300 of 5,530

sorteddan

@RogerRoger
hahaha. ..Once again, just loving your descriptive prowess. How come the forth bit was so bad compared to the earlier parts?

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

KilloWertz

Life is Strange: True Colors

As a fan of the series, I knew going in that I was going to enjoy it. After beating it yesterday, True Colors is probably my new favorite of the series. I have yet to play Life is Strange 2, but someday I will fix that so I can say I've played the whole series. I also don't consider that "canon", but I still do with this one since Steph was in Before the Storm, giving True Colors a link to the past Arcadia Bay duo of games.

Anyways, the game gets pretty dark quite a few times, but never overwhelmingly so. The darkest being obviously when Gabe dies at the end of Chapter 1 and then in Chapter 5 when Jed turns out to be a villain and tries to kill Alex, sending her into a time loop of her worst childhood moments. I will also give them credit as I didn't see the Jed twist coming until right before it was about to happen. There's also plenty of lighthearted moments as well, and the things you do with the side characters and some of your choices you make actually matter, as there's several different ways parts of the final chapter can do along with several different endings (some things similar, but still, at least several variations of scenes and such).

I would love a spin-off with Steph as the main character like they did with Before the Storm with Chloe, as Steph was easily my favorite character of this game. I haven't played her Wavelengths DLC yet, but it's not supposed to be anything substantial from what I remember reading, so a full-fledged story with her would likely be pretty fun given her spirited personality from Before the Storm and now True Colors.

Edited on by KilloWertz

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

KilloWertz

@JudgeDredd Thanks. Ok, then that's what I get for not playing the game. Assuming, and you know what assuming does...

RogerRoger

@LieutenantFatman Yeah, you definitely had a better time with Furi than I did with Chronicles, that's for certain! If the classic Tomb Raider games become available again at some point, either as PSone Classics on the new PS Plus service or as part of a remastered collection released by the new owners, then I'd recommend checking out The Last Revelation. That one's very playable, for the most part.

@sorteddan The fourth location is just a broken, buggy mess. It's also designed to be insidiously cruel, which would've been justified if the layout, design and gameplay was anywhere near polished enough to support the challenge. As it stands, from an age before the post-release patch, it just betrays how fed up the developers were with making Tomb Raider games, and how spiteful they'd become. It's an unfair, rushed finale to a game which, up until that point, had weirdly benefitted from their apathy.

@KilloWertz That's some high praise indeed; real glad you enjoyed True Colours so much! Do we know how well the game sold? Because that'll dictate future plans more than anything, and either allow for the possibility of a spin-off, or guarantee a separate sequel.

I'd try and Google the information for myself, but I've pretty much decided that I'll be playing it at some point soon now, and don't wanna risk accidentally seeing any spoilers.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@RogerRoger That's a very good question, but Life is Strange is one of the IPs Square Enix kept in the sale, so I guess they still have plans for the series.

It seems to be doing well enough. Pulled this from Wikipedia...

"On 13 September 2021, Life is Strange: True Colors debuted at #6 on the UK games boxed sales chart based on physical editions alone, with 54% of sales coming from the PS5, 28% from the PS4, and 18% from the Xbox Series X/S.[57]

In The NPD Group September 2021 games report, Life is Strange: True Colors ranked at #10 for top selling games within the US, which is the "highest launch month dollar sales for any Life is Strange title to date."

I guess I was also wrong about Wavelengths (Steph's DLC). It has a 79 on Metacritic from 8 reviews. I may wait until it's cheaper to get ($12.99 for the Deluxe Edition add-on, which is essentially Wavelengths), but my expectations for it are a little higher now. Not expecting something beyond a couple of hours still, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it given the character.

RogerRoger

@KilloWertz Thanks for the information; that's interesting, and very hopeful for the series' future! Since I don't tend to go anywhere else for my gaming news, and I'm not on social media, buzz surrounding the game seemed non-existent before, during and after its launch window. Those are some strong figures for a Life is Strange game, though, and the positive reviews regarding its DLC are a welcome surprise, as well. Seems like it might've been one of last year's stealthiest success stories!

I almost regret starting Shenmue III now, because there's no way I could play a Life is Strange game alongside another sedate walking simulator. I'd be whipped up into a coma.

As you kinda say, though, I'm sure this won't be the last sale to feature the game.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@RogerRoger You're welcome. You are right that there wasn't much of any hype for the game at any time, but I guess it didn't really need it.

I usually only play one game at a time now as when I tried to do two at a time, one started to take away from the other. If I did though, I doubt I'd want to play them both at the same time either.

True, it won't be. If I remember correctly, previous Life is Strange games went on sale often enough. The other option would be just buy it now and then wait and play it whenever you're ready to. Your call of course.

In the US, the physical copy is on sale now for $24.99, which is about $10 cheaper than what I paid for it. I'm guessing it's not on sale there too though. Oh well, as I'm glad I played it. It was a nice palette cleanser in between Cyberpunk 2077 and now Assassin's Creed Origins with the 60 FPS patch.

Th3solution

@KilloWertz @RogerRoger Yeah the LiS games have traditionally dropped in price fairly well. True Colors has actually held its value longer than any of the former games, I think. The current sale price is tempting but I have LiS 2 so I’ll start with that.

Does True Colors have things separated into episodes like the other games? I know it didn’t release episodically, but I don’t think LiS2 did either and they still have it so episodes 1-4 are on the disc and episode 5 is downloadable only through a code given in the box. A clever tactic to discourage the second hand market, for sure. Part of why I like buying physical where possible is because of the trade-in value, so I was hoping True Colors has the whole game on disc.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@Th3solution The story is told in 5 chapters like previous games, but yeah, the whole game is on the disc. There was a small patch as well, but that was to add a 60 FPS mode.

sorteddan

Just seen the credits roll on Celeste (PS4). Though there is another chapter so not really finished it all but I think I may be done with it nonetheless.
Been playing it on occaision for a few months now but hard for me to play for extended periods due to its difficulty level. I can honestly say it's probably one of the hardest games that I've completed in recent years, but that may be as I lack the dexterity and reflexes of some. Though I think it is supposed to be rock hard otherwise it wouldn't be much of a game. Definitely straddles the line between fun and frustration which I therefore label frustration type of gaming. Also I think the struggle is important as it makes the plot make more sense.
Total time around 9.5 hours, number of deaths around 2300!

And I'm totally using assist mode (cheat mode) when I go back for collectables and trophies, but think I'll leave that for a later time.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

RogerRoger

@KilloWertz I've definitely become more selective about the games I'll play simultaneously. I can't have two major story-driven games going at the same time, nor two games from the same genre. It's usually a handheld or retro title that I'll use to accompany a larger PS4 or PS5 release.

True Colours is currently in our PSN Days of Play sale for twenty-five quid. A physical PS5 copy is eighteen quid on Amazon, but that's only the standard version, so factoring in the additional cost of the Deluxe Edition upgrade will either make it more expensive, or it'll end up being a wash. I think I can wait, because I just know that there'll be a couple more sales (end of summer, Black Friday, etc.) between now and me being in the mood to play it. Once I'm done with Shenmue III, methinks I'll need wall-to-wall action for a while!

Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@RogerRoger Yeah, you'll be fine. I probably ended up paying more than I should have, as the $34 I paid for the physical copy is almost as much as what the Deluxe Edition is on sale for right now, but oh well. It's smaller than what the PSN store said it was (the game sizes are wrong a lot in the PS5 store), which is why I bought the disc version, but I'll be ok. I really liked it, which is what matters in the end.

RogerRoger

@KilloWertz Oh, absolutely! Apologies for descending into a somewhat-academic cost analysis; you're totally right, an enjoyable experience is worth what it's worth to the person enjoying it, and your ringing endorsement has definitely made me more interested than I was already anyway, so that's absolutely what matters! Plus it's good to have physical copies of your favourites going forward, given the uncertainty and unpredictability that underscores all digital markets, so that's a good call, too.

Making It So Since 1987

Bentleyma

Just finished Akiba’s Beat on PS4. Still have some stuff to do, but the main story is done and I got the best ending. I didn’t realise when I started it that I was about to play a 70+ hour JRPG! I’ve enjoyed it for the most part, although having to do the same dungeons over and over did get a bit repetitive.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

sorteddan

@JudgeDredd
Really. Most of the reviews and feedback I've seen have seemed quite glowing.you sound less impressed. Did it just not click with you? We're there specific reasons or am I just misinterpreting your comment?
I do know the feeling though!

sorteddan

@JudgeDredd
Fair enough. Know what you mean though, sometimes a game can just seen like it's funelling you towards the next bit without much agency on your part and when it feels like that it just becomes a time sinking grind. You maybe right when you say it's a mentality thing because at other times I may have been fine with such things. Thanks for the reply though and good to hear some balanced feedback on it.

LtSarge

@Bentleyma I have Akiba's Beat in my backlog but haven't started it yet. The only reason I got it is because I heard it's reminiscent of Persona. Would you say it's like that series after having played through it now?

LtSarge

roe

Just finished The Quarry. Sadly I thought it was pretty rubbish tbh

I liked Until Dawn and love the potential of games like this but unfortunately it suffered from the same flaws as most of them

roe

Bentleyma

@LtSarge Funnily enough I also bought it because I thought it would be similar to the Persona games, but it’s not really. The only thing that’s comparable is that the story is reminiscent of Persona 5, other than that, it’s a different style of game. It’s pretty much a visual novel with the occasional dungeon thrown in. Don’t let that put you off though! I really liked it. The characters are particularly entertaining.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Th3solution

@roe That’s disappointing. I was looking forward to this for when I get a little of my backlog whittled down.
Do you even feel inclined to replay the game to get alternate endings (everyone survives, everyone diets, etc)?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic