Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 3,521 to 3,540 of 5,579

LtSarge

@Kidfried Not yet! Been playing through these games in release order since the beginning of this year so next up will be Control. Got the Ultimate Edition on PS4 and everything so I'm very excited to delve into it down the line.

Have you played it and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

@render Yeah, Alan Wake did also feel like a TV show but Remedy goes a step further this time with Quantum Break by actually having 20 minute episodes after each act that look into events and other characters that aren't in the main game. Really cool stuff, I definitely like the structure of first playing the game and then watching a TV episode. Although it did mean that you'd have to put away several hours of your time during each session in order to get your "fill" so to speak.

If you think the gameplay of Alan Wake was underwhelming, then I think you're going to like Quantum Break's gameplay more. Have you played the inFAMOUS games? If so, then I think you're going to be familiar with this game's addition of time powers. You can e.g. create a time bubble at an enemy, shoot at it and the bullets will stack up and when time is unfrozen it will create an explosion. Other examples include dashing quickly, sprinting while everything is slowed down, creating a time shield that protects you from danger while you can heal up and so on. There's still a lot of shooting in the game and there's still not a lot of enemy variety, but I think the superpowers more than makes up for it if you ask me.

LtSarge

render

@LtSarge That sounds really interesting. I’ve played a little of the first infamous game but only probably got 1/3rd in. I can’t remember why I didn’t get any further but I did enjoy what I played. Remedy’s think definitely seems to be having some additional thing along side shooting which definitely adds a different angle to the gameplay. I found it frustrating with AW because it felt like I was always juggling between two things, both of which didn’t quite work well enough, but QB sounds like half way between that and Control.

Would love to play QB but as it’s not on PlayStation I haven’t got around to it yet.

render

LtSarge

@render I'm sure Quantum Break will be released on PlayStation in the foreseeable future considering Alan Wake has lost its 360 console exclusivity and Remedy seems to be going for a multi-platform approach now so it's looking likely that QB will eventually be remastered. Although I do have to wonder how they're going to pull off the TV show episodes this time because you have to download roughly 80 GB of data on Xbox if you want to watch these offline. If you're online though they can just be streamed directly to your console.

LtSarge

render

@LtSarge I really hope they do put it out on PS. Remedy seem really keen on keeping their history alive, and it’s great where they are linking them together to create a universe.

I’m also looking forward to seeing what’s next from them. I’d happily take another Control but would also welcome something different as long as they keep the gameplay good.

render

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge @render I could be wrong (hope I am as I’d like to play it) but I seem to remember reading that while Remedy got the rights back to Alan Wake, Microsoft kept the Quantum Break rights.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@LtSarge Control is really good. It’s one of my favorites. It’s the first and only Remedy game I’ve played. It took a little getting used to their unique style of presentation, but I love the X-files vibe with the slightly twisted storytelling and the integrated live-action. The gameplay is fantastic too, very kinetic and novel in the way you can use some of the powers. The only thing might be that it pushes the PS4 to its limits apparently and there are frame rate issues when the action gets heavy. It was super smooth and beautiful on PS5 though, not to mention it’s one of the better DualSense utilizing games with some really nice haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore Ah well, that's too bad. Hopefully Microsoft will change their minds and sell the rights to them in the future.

@Th3solution I was really excited to play Control back when it came out in 2019 I think, but then I read about the awful performance on PS4 and decided to hold off on getting it. I recently bought the Ultimate Edition that comes with all the patches on disc so hopefully it runs a bit better on base PS4 now. It definitely seems like their most ambitious game so far and I can't wait to eventually play it.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge Looks like there’s a decent chance it might be the GameClub game for the month.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

Detroit: Become Human

I said I was highly enjoying the game after reaching roughly the halfway point, and it still maintained that for the most part through the end.

I did have at least one fairly big issue with it though. There was a point near the end of Kara's story where you got the option to choose to give the bus tickets back and then take a boat to cross the border. It's pretty messed up that doing the right thing actually penalizes you in the end. I know technically that happens sometimes, but this is a video game, and it was pretty annoying that they gave you no option to be able to keep all 3 alive if you take the boat across. At least 1 of the I believe 4 options could have allowed for that, which ended up costing me about an hour and a half of playtime because of that and the PS5 not auto-uploading game saves for PS4 games. At least not for me, which was annoying to realize multiple times.

Still, aside from that and maybe a couple of minor things that I am able to shrug off since the story was still pretty good overall, I would give it a very solid 8/10. One last thing, I thought having Chloe change over the course of the game was a nice touch.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Kidfried

I beat it. Persona 5 Royal. Did it in 190 hours according to the game. What an epic journey.

It took me 11 months to finish the game, which is about equal to the in-game time that passed since.

My Persona of choice was Thoth. My party members of choice were Morgana, Ryuji and of course Makoto. I ended up dating the latter.

Great experience, but I'm also relieved about having reached the end.

Kidfried

crimsontadpoles

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning (PS4)

It has its faults and won't appeal to everyone, but I absolutely loved this game. It's about a group of 8 people who wake up on a small island in a ruined world, who are said to be the last of humanity. The gameplay is dungeon crawling and RPG.

The story is interesting at first as it sets up the situation. The 8 main characters wake up in a small island, with various questions such as what happened to humanity, and why are they there. The story falters a bit as it delves into their backstories, but the story picks right up again once it starts to focus more on the bigger mysteries.

The gameplay involves exploring the various dangerous ruins, with the map being filled in as you explore. I enjoyed the exploration aspects of the ruins. There's various environmental puzzles, often involving switches and pressure plates to unlock different paths, so it requires exploring everywhere. Enemies can be a bit repetitive in the earlier ruins, but there's some trickier surprises in the later stages.

There's a surprising number of different systems in play, which can be intimidating at first. As well as health and stamina (hunger), there's also a bladder meter and stress meter. Characters age rapidly from children to seniors, before dying from old age. They can then be bought back to life on the main island, with bonus perks depending on how they died. For instance, death by slash attacks makes that character more resistant to slash attacks. This all takes a while to get used to, but it's fine once it clicks.

Some aspects of the game feel rough round the edges, but then there's other parts where they've clearly put a lot of effort into it. Personally I had a lot of fun with this game.

LtSarge

Just finished Call of Duty: Black Ops on 360. Absolutely phenomenal campaign! I think it's my favourite one thus far as it was a very trippy experience set during the Cold War (Vietnam, Cuba, etc.), which is a setting we haven't seen much of in video games. Lots of varied missions and fun vehicle sections, I highly enjoyed my time with it.

I can't say this enough but the older CoD games seriously have some of the coolest campaigns I've seen in an FPS. Really glad that I've now finally experienced Black Ops.

@Kidfried Wow, congrats mate! Didn't think you'd end up playing the game for almost 200 hours, that's very impressive. Surely that must be the longest game you've ever played in terms of a single-player experience?

I really liked using Morgana and Makoto as well, since the former is a great healer with some nice critical hit attacks, and the latter being a strong fighter in general. I also used Ann in my team since she had some good moves like being able to put enemies to sleep and is also quite speedy.

LtSarge

Kidfried

@LtSarge It's longer than most games, that's for sure, but I tend to take long to beat games anyway. My top 5 for Sony consoles:

Persona 5 Royal: 190 hours
Fallout 4: 190 hours
The Witcher 3: 300 hours
Skyrim: 360 hours
Dragon Age Inquisition: 390 hours

Kidfried

Kidfried

@LtSarge Yea, Ann has some great moves, but I just had a weak spot for Ryuji. By the end of the game I truly felt like he was a real friend of me, so I had to pick him. The game become so easy for me after the first half that I just started role playing most of my decisions.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

johncalmc

Unusually for me with a JRPG, I tend to mix my party up in Persona 5 and switch the characters around a lot because I like most of the cast quite a lot. The only real mainstay is Morgana who I tend to use a lot on account of him being an amusing kitty.

Anyway, the game I recently beat was Yakuza: Like A Dragon, which concludes my playthrough of the entire Yakuza series, and I really, really like this game. It's probably my favourite except for 0. I am totally surprised by this as I went into it thinking it would be a fun spin-off but I wasn't expecting to love it with an all new cast etc.

But it's still basically everything I love about Yakuza only with a combat system that's more up my street personally, a wonderful cast of characters, and a genuinely endearing reverence for the lore/characters of the previous Yakuza games. Loved it. Might even go for the platinum.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

@Kidfried Congrats! It’s a marathon, for sure. Glad you enjoyed it and persevered in the end.

@crimsontadpoles Thanks for the impressions in Zanki Zero. If memory serves this is the game made by the Danganronpa people, so I’ve been curious about it. It seems to have not been as well received, so I haven’t really looked too deeply at it. Your report makes it sound really interesting though. Looks like it has some unique ideas and creative concepts. It’s a shame it’s a little rough in the implementation department because it sounds like the premise is great.

colonelkilgore

Just managed to get the Big Boss emblem on MGS4. As most of you know, I like to do a little ‘minor’ scheduling of my playlist 🤣… so this play-through has actually been on my mind since January believe it or not. Hanging over me like the sword of Damocles for very nearly 11 months. I’ll still have to do at least one last play-through (which’ll be my 10th) to get the plat… but this was the notorious/infamous obstacle (amongst trophy hunters anyway) that prevents people from achieving the plat, so pretty happy right now.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore First, respect for sticking it out for the Big Boss emblem and your hopefully-soon-to-be platinum for MGS4. 👊🏼

Secondly, thanks for the “Sword of Damocles” idiom usage. 😄 I hadn’t heard that and so I had to go down an internet rabbit hole and I enjoyed reading the story of Damocles and Dionysus. I’m going to have to remember that one!

colonelkilgore

@Iver @Th3solution cheers guys. Think I’m gonna go back to MGS2 now before I mop up the last play-through of MGS4. ‘If’ I can get past the notorious & infamous plat blocker on that one (& it’s a big fat ‘if’ if I’m honest) I can try and pop both plats on the same day.

Oh and anytime sol, I do love me some Greek tragedy 👊

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic