Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,761 to 2,780 of 5,530

HallowMoonshadow

I've replied to you in a seperate post @ralphdibny just so I don't accidently spoil anyone else.

Chapter 14 was where Tachibana was tortured and eventually died and that whole sequence really got to me, especially the part with Makoto interacting with his dead body and telling him was tired and just needed to rest... Ugh I got misty eyed to say the least! Utterly heart breaking

I was really quite pleased and pleasantly surprised with all the performances in Yakuza 0. I'm really fond of having english dubs myself as most, if not all, of the japanese media I've really seen to this point is anime based and typically someone in those casts tends to really exaggerate or something and take it over the top... which just happens to be my nails on chalkboard.

But for Yakuza 0... I really enjoyed and appreciated the voice acting in this. Really well done in my opinion and I think has definitely paved the way for me to not be so... biased and more tolerant I guess in trying some more subbed stuff!

As for the music... I found a guy on youtube who uploaded the entire 怋soundtrack 怊 (at least I think it's all of it in that link) for Yakuza 0 so that's where I've mostly learned the names of the tracks by just sifting through them and looking at the comments... Especially as they've put some of the titles in Japanese.

For ones that I've specifically referenced:

• Track 38 is Pledge of Demon Kuze's first four boss tracks
  • Track 39 is Oath of Enma Kuze's final boss battle theme
  • Track 40 is Firelight (the track that plays during Kiryu's side of the finale as you fight through the boat
  • Track 42: Archnemesis is the track against Lao Gui, the Chinese assassin

Hope that helps my previous post become somewhat clearer ralph!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy thanks for the clarifications! That bit you mentioned was intense for so many reasons. I don't know why but I just loved Kuze. Every scene he is in shows a change of mind, heart or general viewpoint and that one was no different. Shame it went the way it did. I loved Kiryu's pained howls as he held Tachibana's body up. If I'm remembering it correctly that is, it's been a couple weeks and I've finished like 5 shorter games since then so my memory is already getting hazy šŸ˜…

I think at first, I was skipping the VO when you could read the text and press A (or X on PlayStation I guess). Obviously I watched all the proper cut scenes though. As I became more invested in the characters later on in the game, I would listen to more of the VO for certain characters like Sagawa, Awano and Kuze just because I liked hearing their voices. The game made me kind of want to learn some Japanese even though it seems like a really tough language to learn.

I think generally I prefer dubbed for TV cartoons. I love the dubbed DBZ and full metal alchemist shows. I think generally I prefer dubbed for live action and animated films. Admittedly I don't watch as many foreign films as I used to. Normally advocates for subs will have good reasons for preferring that version that they will post online. I'd say for me, it normally comes down to how much of the dialogue is changed in translation as to whether I'd watched subbed over dubbed.

See ya!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore Careful. Those posting in a hurry might shorten your new name to "Mr. Legging" and that might carry some unwelcome connotations!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@Arugula sounds a little bit like that Jon Cho movie ā€˜Searchingā€™ from a few years back... frikking hidden gem of a movie that. Might have to look into Simulacra.

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@Arugula hmmm, always good to have a quick game in the backlog, to ā€˜plugā€™ in between the old 100 hour epics.

**** DLC!

Gremio108

Played through We Were Here with a friend. It was a good laugh from start to finish.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

HallowMoonshadow

... Oh... Oh that is very jarring.

I was aware of Mark Hamil voicing Majima (I don't seem to know any of the rest of the cast upon looking at IMDB) but I hadn't seen it til now @Thrillho... My boy Majima and all that gratuitous swearing!

It's because Kuze's so batshit awesome that's why! Who else ambushes someone in a sewer, on a motorbike, with a rusty metal pipe? No one that's who!

And yeah that scene overall was just really well done... Now that I think about it quite a bit of Yakuza 0's actually shot/framed rather well too which is something I don't think I've ever really picked up on before in a game's cutscene.

It... can be pretty difficult learning japanese @Ralphdibny. I've tried myself but... I couldn't quite grasp it. Though my partner is half japanese and all her extended family lives in Japan (I've been there once and we were planning on going again before the current situation happened) Sooo... I just had her to translate for me because I'm lazy cow all I can really remember is the basics ha ha šŸ˜„

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Devil May Cry has been completed (Well I beat the story at least. I missed a LOT of secret missions though). Only took an extra 30 mins to do the remaining levels I had left. Might actually see about popping more of those trophies as most of the requirements are actually pretty easy aside from the difficulty related ones.

It's a little creaky but still fairly solid. Perhaps part of this is due to the unique development cycle it had (With it originally going to be Resident Evil 4 and all that) as the combat doesn't quite feel as smooth as it could do like the sequels (Though it IS rather playable still, impressive even as it was released in 2001!) .

I enjoyed my time with it & I'm actually really looking forward to it's panned sequel that I've never thought deserved the ire I've only come to recently know it had... Though I haven't played that in like 15 years either so it could actually be complete rubbish

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Iā€™m aiming to play Devil May Cry 1, 2 & 3 next year (4, 5 and DmC in 2023)... I randomly started 5 when it released but it didnā€™t click with me. Iā€™m hoping now that I have played a bit more of the Character-Action sub genre (I donā€™t like the term but apparently thatā€™s what it is) that if I start from the beginning I might ā€˜getā€™ what I was missing about the game previously... as those who like it seem to rank DMCV EXTREMELY highly on their list of best games of the PS4 generation.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah that is a bit of an iffy name for the sub-genre @colonelkilgore... I heard the term "spectacle fighter" used somewhere to describe the genre (though it doesn't particularly sound any better). I used to just call it a hack & slash myself šŸ˜…

I haven't played Devil May Cry V yet but I hope to soon enough as I seem to still have a soft spot for the franchise. 3's considered the crown jewel of the franchise by many (And of the 4 I've played I'd be inclined to agree).

I assume by other character action games you've played you mean the God Of War Trilogy... and perhaps Bayonetta too?

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy yeah Iā€™ve started working my way through the old God of War games (including the PSP ones) and Iā€™ve been pleasantly surprised by how much Iā€™ve liked them. I have the Bayonetta-Vanquish remasters and Metal Gear Rising all in the backlog. Gonna finish off the old-school God of Wars this year... and Iā€™ll also be playing Metal Gear Rising as Iā€™m playing through the Metal a gear Solid series this year too. Then Iā€™ll move onto the Devil May Cry series next year and finish off with Bayonetta and Vanquish.

Oh and Iā€™m gonna buy the Ninja Gaiden Collection on PS5 when it releases later this year, think they probably fit into this genre too.

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

The only game I've played from the God Of War series is the third one @colonelkilgore which is a rather impressive showcase for the PS3 and has a really impressive sense of scale with the titans and the like. I wasn't too fond of Kratos or the story though.

Good luck with the Metal Gear series... I'll be interested to hear what you think of Snake Eater if you haven't played it yet!

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy will do, no havenā€™t played 3 yet... itā€™s the next one Iā€™ll be playing though funnily enough. So far I thought 5 was phenomenal and Peace Walker very good. Iā€™ll be going 3, 1, 2, 4 & Rising at various points throughout the year... Iā€™ll be sure to tag you in my comments once Iā€™ve finished each one.

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

That's one hell of an interesting order you've played/going to play them through @colonelkilgore! Never played Rising myself or any of the other spinoffs for that matter like the Acid games...

As you can see from the latest ps4 purchase thread there's a whole lot of metal gear fans here with each person having a unique ranking of their favourite šŸ˜„

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy yeah, itā€™s not the order I wouldā€™ve gone with ideally but I always get a little anxious about older games that have online trophies... so I just started with them to give myself the best chance for the plats. And as I started with games that are pre-Solid Snake I figured I may as well finish off the last of the pre-SS games before I start Solidā€™s adventures.

Itā€™s been eye-opening how low down 5 is on most peopleā€™s lists as it absolutely rocked my world but I am aware within MGS circles the narrative of 5 is considered way weaker than the other entries... but that gameplay is like butter and MrGameplayKingĀ©ļø wholeheartedly approves!

Iā€™m really looking forward to playing the Solid Snake games and am even considering playing the old 8-bit Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake too... anyone have any thoughts on those two?

**** DLC!

HallowMoonshadow

Ahh yeah that would explain it @colonelkilgore. Still playing the Big Boss related games backwards will certainly give you a unique perspective!

I'm glad you've taken to your nickname too šŸ˜‰ I would certainly agree with you in that the gameplay is absolutely top-notch in V but I'm unfortunately here for the story too and I didn't really get on with 5 in regards to that. The, unfortunate, unfinished nature of the game didn't help either.

I've only played a bit of Metal Gear 1 (But didn't get very far) myself and I don't think I even tried Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Did read about them though with the summaries included in Metal Gear Solid 1. I'm pretty sure most people don't even know Metal Gear 1 & 2 even exist. Couldn't tell you if any of the others have played them through!

colonelkilgore

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy well Big Boss in terms of 5 is intentionally ā€˜looseā€™ and love how it ties into MG1šŸ˜‰... I thought it was a pretty cool twist that involved some cool subtlety of storytelling (something Kojima is not normally known for) but yeah from the little I know, the narrative definitely took a back seats to the open-world of 5... some of those locales and locations that were dotted around Afghanistan and Angola & Zaire were just so well designed that I had absolutely no issue completing multiple missions in the same areas.

Thanks for your info on MG1 & MG2:SS... I might well just read up on the events myself. I tried to find a YouTube video that would detail the 2 8-bit gamesā€™ narrative but surprisingly couldnā€™t find one.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic