Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 5,530

Gremio108

@nessisonett It was one of my favourite fights from Dark Souls III, and reminded me of Artorias from Dark Souls I's DLC. A one-on-one with no gimmicks. Absolutely superb.

I have to say, the swamp was a bit of a chore, but I liked the Ringed City overall. Some lovely buildings to look at, just a shame about all the monsters trying to kill me all the time.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Col_McCafferty

I finished Persona 5 last week and still miss playing it. If I didn't have a backlog I would've jumped straight into NG+, it's that good.

Are all JRPGs as good as this?! Plan on buying FF VII remake at some point but also tempted by FF XV which is currently on sale. Is this game worth playing? Never played a FF game so not sure if it's better to start with a classic or try a previous one first and see if I like it.

P5 though, what a great cast of characters. So funky, so cool and surprisingly (for me anyway) very funny. Morgana is one cool cat, sorry Mona but that's what you are at least to me!

Col_McCafferty

Col_McCafferty

@KratosMD Thanks for those recommendations, I've heard good things about Trails, will take that under consideration.

I think I will definitely play FF VII remake at some point this year, no rush though as currently working my way through Days Gone and still have a bit of a backlog including Star Wars Jedi and Death Stranding to play.

Col_McCafferty

nessisonett

I just finished Trails in the Sky FC Evolution on Vita. It’s genuinely one of the best JRPGs I’ve played in recent years. It’s quite slow paced at times but there’s a nice flow to the game as you move from city to city. The final chapter and cutscenes are brilliant too and I’m really excited to move onto the second one because it ends on a massive cliffhanger. I’d definitely recommend this series, it might be a big commitment but I might actually make it to the Cold Steel games in the next couple of years!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

I was getting a bit bored of Days Gone so I thought I'd switch it up and play Journey.

... That's an hour and twenty minutes of my life I ain't getting back 😂

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Not another classic you didn’t like! If you end up hating Yakuza 0 then the trifecta will be complete 😂😂

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Lol, i should really re-try Journey. I played it to completion back on PS3 and I liked it fine, but it didn’t change my life or anything. At the time it was trailblazing, one of the early pioneers of “Video Games as Art” along with Flower. I quite enjoyed Flower actually more, but Journey was okay too. It was also early in the “random online co-op / meet-up” mechanic as well where, much like Dark Souls before it, online interactivity with other players was shown to be cooperative in a non-dedicated and non-intrusive way and could even be largely ignored. I wonder if I go back to experience it again if it will seem even the slightest bit innovative now. Apparently you were unimpressed 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Lol unfortunately I didn't like it @nessisonett but I didn't hate it either... it was just kinda there. Quite similar to my feelings regarding the original FFVII actually now that I think about it.

As @Th3solution very aptly put "it didn’t change my life or anything"

It... looked pretty nice. That was honestly it though.

I'm not admittedly an arty kinda woman... But I'm not a neanderthal either! I don't need explosions every ten seconds I swear!! 😂

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Lol, I’m trying to imagine Journey 2 - where you can blow things up and assassinate other Travelers and steal their scarfs.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

... I won't lie that actually sounds kinda fun @Th3solution! 😂

Ralizah

Abzu was worse. It's basically Journey, but you have to keep a trigger squeezed down the entire time, and the entire game is one big water level.

Both games were a waste of my time, unfortunately. Pretty colors and music are fine... when paired with actually good gameplay. Like Tetris Effect. Even if you toned down the (admittedly dazzling) aesthetic elements, you'd still be left with a fairly solid version of Tetris. What would you be left with in Journey? Janky controls and empty landscapes, aside from the occasional scarf upgrade.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

Both Journey and Abzu are good (Journey is actually pretty great).

But, for Journey in particular, it’s essential to crank the volume and play it all in one sitting. Even better if you manage to play through it all in one go with the same partner.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah I really liked Journey, didn't like Abzu as much. It didnt resonate with me and I am prejudiced because I hate all water levels pretty much.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It would be boring if we all had the same tastes, I guess!

mookysam

The controls in Abzû are horrendous. Other than that I enjoyed it and found it quite soothing. Generally not a fan of those types of games, but Abzû is nice.

Just finished Super Metroid. It plays extremely tightly and is beautifully presented. Although there isn't really much plot I love the continuation of the baby Metroid story from Metroid II, culminating in a great little scene during the final boss fight.

The only real criticism I can think of is that the map isn't terribly informative. However, it's not a major issue given the level design is quite logical and funnels the player in such a way that it's actually quite difficult to get lost or miss things. Compared to the Prime games there's not a great deal of backtracking, either.

Although the genre has been refined and progressed considerably over the past decade, the classics remain brilliant. Super Metroid generally nails all of the fundamentals and is still a blast to play.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

Day's Gone

Not gonna lie I'd mentally checked out on this for well over a week or two and was desperately shambling towards brains an ending, my enthusiasm for the title running on fumes.

I was honestly ready to just pack it in and leave it unfinished last night tiI I realised there was only a few hours left. Not giving two f***s about skipping every cutscene as I raced towards the finish line.

... Which unfortunately does kinda drive a point home to me that aside from Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Which was good, if quite typical of Resi) and Shining Resonance Refrain (Which was alright, enhanced by a fairly likeable cast) I haven't truly enjoyed my time with a game since finishing Divinity Original Sin 2 way back in January...

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I wonder if some of the reason for unfulfilling gaming experiences have to do with DOS2 being such an immersive enjoyable and pleasant surprise that it has put everything else in a disappointing light, comparatively. I know NieR Automata was underwhelming to you largely because of the build up and sometimes that doesn’t help either. It’s weird how sometimes my enjoyment of a game is enhanced when it’s my own discovery or if the game just comes out of left field. My current jam, Death Stranding, is an example. It’s not like it’s some unknown small indie game, but it’s largely fallen under the radar after release, so I’ve just been blown away by it; taken a bit by surprise at how wonderfully I like it. Of course, I’m still early on in the first half, but so far I’d say it’s the most enjoyable and engrossing game I’ve played in over a year. Part of that I think may be relatively low expectations. Also the uniqueness factor that @KratosMD referred to.

On the other hand, I do have times when the community hype has enhanced a game experience for me. Horizon Zero Dawn was one of those. I considered it merely above average at first and got distracted from it after launch, and then went back to finish it after reading the excessive praise and the second half was so much more enjoyable after getting pumped up by the community about the game.

So basically, I’m not sure what to conclude. 😂. Sometimes hype helps and sometimes it hinders. 😛

HallowMoonshadow

Oh shoot I forgot Iconoclasts in my previous post. I did enjoy that too mostly though I had to play that in brief chunks.

Anyway that's what I was personally thinking @Th3solution... DOS2 unintentionally raising the bar and making the "Scotchy Seal of Approval", so to speak, all the more illusive.

Not to mention since playing Nier Automata a side effect has unfortunately been that i've become more aware and honestly more intolerant of games wasting my time Route/"Ending" B can burn for all eternity. Sorry guys!

Not that you're wrong @KratosMD I certainly think that a bit of "unique experiences" might be at play too with Divinity & Iconoclasts really being the only truly unique games/experiences I've played so far this year.

... Well I guess journey was (Which probably didn't get a fair enough shake as I only played it to allieviate Days Gone boredom) and I guess Sonic CD was also unique in a way as it was my first 2D sonic...

Pffft I dunno what to conclude either sol there could be a bunch of reasons why I'm not getting along with games recently! 😂

Danganronpa will be my next game though. I do need something fresh after Days Gone (I was rather enjoying it at first).

It'll be my first visual novel and for a better term it is bat-s**t bonkers so I can't say it won't be unique 😅

Quintumply

Finished The Last of Us Remastered over the weekend. I was really surprised how much had stuck in my memory, even though I'd only played the game once before, back when it launched. Even though I remembered pretty much everything, it still delivers an impactful story, and I love how it draws attention to Joel's actions, and the morals of what he and Ellie are doing. It's still very good.

The only thing I'd say against it is that some of the gameplay elements do stick out; you do need to find and place ladders and wooden planks a lot, which is a little silly in an otherwise very down to Earth game. You're also forced to fight in a lot of the combat sequences, where I wanted to sneak past and avoid people/infected. There are some instances where you can largely ignore any threats, but most of the time you need to kill all the baddies before you can move on. It's not a deal breaker, and I love how intense the fighting is. You go down pretty quickly and have limited resources, so taking on any enemy feels dangerous.

I'm really looking forward to Part 2 now, more than ever. The Last of Us 1 is bleak and tragic, but I feel like the sequel is going to be so much darker. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

nessisonett

I somehow ended up playing the rest of Silent Hill 1 today. Beat it in about 4 and a half hours but I got the Good+ ending which I’m chuffed about. Honestly, it was brilliant and I’m so glad I got past the initial scares. The game wasn’t quite as scary after the school but there were some tense moments for sure and the overall story was amazing. Like any good horror game, I never quite got the hang of the controls even against the final boss. I actually died against the final boss about 6 times but thankfully the continue button lets you immediately retry boss fights. I saw one guide that told me that to defeat the final boss I had to ‘shoot the boss and avoid getting hit’. Needless to say, when I employed that tactic, I won! The ending was both ambiguous and fulfilling and that’s all I can ask. I’m going to replay the 2nd one now but I think I’ll have a look at the fan remaster and maybe wait until that’s done.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic