Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 641 to 660 of 4,472

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Is that the one where Jack was taken prisoner by the Chinese government agents? I thought that season and the following seasons after that weren't so good.

Edit: Nevermind, thought that was Season 5 but it was actually Season 6.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Yeah, from what I recall, Season Five was the one that ended with Jack being captured and taken to China and then things progressed from there.

I know that Seasons Six and Seven aren't considered the greatest, but Eight and Live Another Day played up to "Jack Bauer the Walking Meme" a little more and gained points for that, even if they weren't as polished as before. I'll come back with periodic thoughts as we progress.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

@KratosMD You know, I read your post, thought about watching it, but then the first thing I see mentioned when I look it up is an underage orgy scene the main character gets pressured into.... I think might just leave it alone and hope it fails. (Not saying anything about you watching it.) It reminds of the recent issue with Suran Kengura.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Jaz007

@KratosMD I am, so that would make it kinda iffy. (And that’s the one thing that actually creeps me out due to that stuff in real life.) Thanks for the warning.
It’s funny because I just remember there was supposed to be a family friendly show about a witch named Sabrina. I remember almost watching it thinking “I wonder if this is some cute fun.” Would’ve been quite the surprise lol.

Jaz007

BAMozzy

I have just got Netflix - its now available on SkyQ too - and the first thing I watched was Sabrina. I have only watched Season 1 of Riverdale as that was on one of the channels on Sky and enjoyed that but Sabrina was better as its a bit darker and with a more supernatural aspect but its very much in that vein.

I have also started watching iZombie and really enjoying that so far - up to Ep7 of the first Season.

I intend to watch the Marvel shows, Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Star Trek, Lost in Space, Castlevaniaetc etc - seems I have more TV to watch than I do time...

Based on these, is there anything else I should look out for? Has anyone watched 'Monkey'? I loved the original series when I was growing up but wasn't sure about this after the trailer. The original was great - but then that was 40yrs ago...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tjuz

@BAMozzy If you're interested in Lost in Space and Star Trek, I would definitely recommend The Expanse to you. It's another space opera, but with more of a focus on politics than family drama in the case of Lost in Space. I believe it should be on Netflix in the UK. One I haven't watched that might also interest you is Altered Carbon.

If you're interested in Stranger Things, I would also recommend Dark. It's a German show, so you'll have to watch it with subtitles. It's got a fairly comparable feel to Stranger Things, albeit a bit darker. I personally also believe that it has the superior first season.

Are you interested in comedy shows at all?

Tjuz

BAMozzy

@Tjuz I'll have a look out for those - see if the trailers grab me... Some Comedy works for me but others not so much. Big Bang, Young Sheldon, the Orville, Red Dwarf etc for example

@KratosMD Cheers - a few of those I watch (or did when they were aired) on Sky or the channels that offers anyway - The CW DC shows, Gotham, Continuum, Under the Dome, the 100 etc so I was looking more for those exclusive to Netflix and haven't been aired in the UK on a channel that Sky offers as those are the ones I am likely to have not seen.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy I second the recommendation by @beemo. Mindhunter is brilliant. Takes a couple of episodes to get going, but once they interview the first 'sequence' killer it will have you hooked.

I enjoyed Altered Carbon but can see it not being to everyone's tastes. It can be quite hard to keep following everything going. I will probably get digital stones thrown at me for this, but I found it like a more interesting Blade Runner as I found the two film quite dull to watch.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Comedy set in New York, shocker I know lol. The main star is Andy Samberg, so if you like his humour you will most likely have fun with this show.

Breaking Bad is a must if you have not seen it. Ozark is quite similar too and I have heard really good things about it.

If you like horror The Haunting of Hill House is reccomended.

@KratosMD Some of those shows aren't on Netflix in the UK. For instance Black Flag is an Amozon Prime original show and Legends of Tomorrow is on Now TV.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder @KratosMD I am not really into 'real life' drama's - by real life I mean things that could be happening in the world today so don't tend to watch cop/crime shows (unless its comedy like Brooklyn 99 - which I have seen every series as its on E4 in the UK). I tend to watch TV more to escape the real world, more to get away from news or things that could be a dramatisation of 'real life' - hence I watch things like Sci-fi, Horror (more supernatural type horror than real life horror) & Fantasy. I will check out the trailer for Mindhunter though to see if its likely to appeal.

There can be odd shows I watch - like Elementary or Sherlock which could be quite 'real life' and I know Orange is the new Black was based on real life and quite enjoyed the first 2 series when they were shown on one of the channels I get on Sky (the Sony channel I think). In general though, I tend to watch things like American Horror Story, the CW DC shows, Westworld, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Preacher, the Gifted etc. Loving iZombie at the moment too...

I don't like reality TV either

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD No worries, it's confusing with all these streaming services that all have different shows in different countries.

My mate in work has Sky and when I recommend something I have no idea what Sky channel it's on. I'm like 'ummmmm, Now TV?'. 😂 Yeah I know it does state the TV channel but it is not something I pay close attention to lol.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

BAMozzy

@beemo cool - I will check that out. So far I have watched season 1 (the only) of Sabrina and nearly watched all of Season 1 of iZombie. I want to watch the marvel series that haven't been shown on Sky and shows like Stranger Things, Black Mirror (I think its called), Star Trek, Lost in Space and Castlevania - some on my TV app for HDR and the others I will probably watch via SkyQ's Netflix app.

I haven't had access to Netflix for long so was looking for recommendations on shows that are similar to those but haven't yet been shown on a channel on Sky. I was surprised by how much Netflix has of its own and a little disappointed to see how much it has that I had already watched on Sky - especially movies. There is still more to watch than I have time for though so I am happy I have access at last....

JohnnyShoulder

Season 2 of The Sinner starts in the UK on Nextflix on Friday. The first season was superb and I couldn't stop watching it.

Thrillho

@BAMozzy Black Mirror is bleak but great. The anthology style means it covers such a weird array of topics and are all completely separate (bar a few clever touches in certain episodes). Everyone has such a different list of top 5 episodes as well as the episodes are so unique. The array of actors and directors they've had is amazing too.

Thrillho

BAMozzy

@Thrillho My son recommended Black Mirror to me and did enjoy Anthology type series like the Twilight Zone, Outer Limits etc. Its certainly in my list of shows to watch - although may finish iZombie first. As its an anthology though, I may watch episodes when I want a break from episodes of one specific show as I can't binge watch shows.

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy Black Mirror is great but not for everyone, some people just don't get it. The humour is pitch black and some episode are so surreal. There is a lot of swipes at modern life (especially social media which is probably why it resonated with me so well lol) and what it could become, in true Charlie Brooker style.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

I'm not a TV series person, but there are quite a few brilliant series on the Netflix service:

• Fargo (better than the movie)
  • Mad Men (drama anout a 60s ad company)
  • Wild Wild Country (thrilling doc on an 80s cult)
  • The End of The F***ing World (absurd coming-of-age)
  • Neo Yokio (anime-like by Vampire Weekend frontman)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Tjuz

@beemo @BAMozzy I'll have to respectfully disagree with beemo on that one and strongly recommend against watching The OA. Watching the trailer I was most certainly intrigued, but the show took all it's potential and ran it into the ground over the course of 8 increasingly worse hours. It's truly one of the worst shows I've ever seen, and I'd like to think I've seen quite a lot. The ending is an absolute joke too.

@Thrillho Come on, we all know Nosedive is the best episode of Black Mirror! No disagreeing!

@Kidfried I think you mean The End of the F***ing World, but The End of the F***ing Workshop sounds interesting too.

Tjuz

Thrillho

@Tjuz Really? I thought it was a pretty average episode. Anyone who says anything other than San Junipero is objectively wrong

I even have the soundtrack to the episode on a pretty awesome vinyl record.

Untitled

@Kidfried The End of the F***ing Workshop sounds like the Tarantino version of The Office.

Thrillho

Tjuz

@Thrillho San Junipero is most certainly second. Nosedive was just the perfectly paced adventure, with the perfect climax and the perfect lead actress. It's easily the closest Black Mirror has ever come to an all-around perfect episode.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

I'd kinda forgotten about this, so it was a happy surprise when it turned up yesterday, but I've now got Batman: The Animated Series on Blu-Ray!

Can't wait to get stuck in. I'm gonna be good and finish what I was halfway through on Netflix first.

Honest.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic