Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 4,472

Thrillho

@colonelkilgore @CJD87 S1-3 of Fargo were all great and a clever way of doing an anthology programme with all of them and the film being intertwined.

S4 was a bit too much of a plodder for me though and the link into the other series was clever but a bit shoehorned in.

Thrillho

PegasusActual93

@colonelkilgore
Season 3 had a drop in ratings but Season 4 thanks to Hbomax viewership had a large boost in ratings, enough so that it would justify a season 5. It's been made clear they want to do a season 5.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

RogerRoger

On the subject of Westworld, I'm quite comfortable having abandoned it after its good-enough-but-nowhere-near-as-good-as-before second season. I hear the third and fourth went downhill pretty quickly, but my memories of the first are so cherished, I'd hate to tarnish them.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

PegasusActual93

@colonelkilgore
Not sure what you mean

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

colonelkilgore

@PegasusActual93 just my personal observation is all. We live in an era where written (or typed) communication is extremely prevalent and as a result Iā€™ve noticed that people have generally developed various measures within their interactions to avoid offence or misinterpretation due to the inherent lack of tone within a post/comment/text message etc. Your chat on the other hand (at least when discussing Westworld) is more akin to someone striking with a blunt object than a cordial conversationā€¦ and as a result it made me chuckle šŸ¤­

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

PegasusActual93

@colonelkilgore
Don't mean to be blunt just have aspergers.

MightyDemon82

@colonelkilgore Season 1 was excellent but I haven't seen any othe the others yet. Might have to rewatch it and then watch the others!

MightyDemon82

colonelkilgore

@MightyDemon82 yeah definitely worth a rewatchā€¦ I think the missus and I have actually watched season 1 3 times in all now.

**** DLC!

RR529

Got around to rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time in about a decade thanks to the recent Blu-Ray release, and while nostalgia probably plays a part, I definitely think it (mostly) still holds up.

I'm going to buck convention though and say I think the first half of the series is probably my favorite part of it. The animation & mech designs are wonderful, and it comes from an era where the anime world carried some sort of respect for military tech (+ cars & guns) & it wears it's appreciation on it's sleeve, which I always thought was cool (my favorite episodes might be the one where they siphoned off electricity from all of Japan to fire that rifle, & Asuka's introduction where they battled on the UN fleet). This is broken up by a surprising amount of light hearted levity that breaks up the drama. Yes, Shinji (& others) clearly has emotional problems, but I think the first half of the series generally does a good job of showing him slightly starting to open up around those in his life.

Of course it takes a much more of a dramatic tone in the latter half, and my favorite elements of the series start taking a back seat. However it does attempt to delve deeper into the convoluted lore which I do enjoy trying to piece together, and heck, maybe the critics are right and it is a bunch of nonsense with no greater purpose, but I still like to think I come away with it each time learning something about it I didn't know before.

Of course we all know they depleted their budget by the last couple of episodes, not being able to end it as intended. That said, while they are my least favorite part of the series I think they do well enough with what they have to work with (I think I would have been more satisfied with it had it confirmed that the "possible reality" short had been confirmed as the canonical ending, given how I feel about the lighter moments).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

Yesterday I planned on starting the second season of the delightful Only Murders in the Building and ended up clearing my evening schedule and binge-watching the whole thing. No regrets.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Havenā€™t seen much buzz about it but that Karen Pirie is one of the best mystery shows Iā€˜ve seen in a while. Iā€™ve never read any Val McDermid books but this was such a good adaptation that Iā€™d be more likely to read one. Helps that they used Arab Strap as the theme!

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

MightyDemon82

@nessisonett I had to Google Arab Strap. That's some excellent music I've just listened to, cheers for bringing them to my attention!

MightyDemon82

JohnnyShoulder

@MightyDemon82 @nessisonett There is a band called Jockstrap which is what I immediately thought of when I saw that.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@MightyDemon82 Glad you liked them! My favourite line from their Wikipedia page is ā€œLike fellow Scottish band The Proclaimers, their lyrics are sung in their native Scots tongue.ā€ As if those two bands are in any way comparable! Ah yes, Barry Manilow sings in the same accent as Joey Ramone šŸ˜‚

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett They sure do!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@Kairu The first season is so ploughin confusing but the second is so much better. Enjoy!

EliteSlayer

Just finished rings of power season 1. Looking forward to season 2.

EliteSlayer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic