Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,621 to 2,640 of 4,398

LtSarge

Just finished season 6 of Game of Thrones and I think this was the best season so far. At first I was bummed out because John Snow had died and as those who have watched the show will know, people who die in the show are dead permanently. It's not like in most other shows where they fake you out with characters' deaths, so when John Snow died I accepted his death and didn't think he would come back. But then he did and that was one of the best moments of the show just because he's one of the greatest characters. Then he got his revenge, which was great. And finally, the last two episodes were absolutely bonkers. The battle for the North, where John Snow fought against Ramsey Bolton was absolutely brutal. The way it started with Ramsey playing games by shooting Snow's brother as he ran away, then as all hell broke lose between the two armies, then as they were surrounded and almost impaled (kinda Spartan like), then when all hope was lost, the Knights of the Veil came to rescue them, which was awesome. And finally how they took back their stronghold and let Ramsey be eaten alive by his own dogs. In the same episode, we saw Daenerys take back Meereen and finally utilising her dragons to take out the enemies, which was so satisfying. What a brilliant episode, I genuinely think this was the best episode I've seen so far because two great battles were won in the same episode. Did not expect the last episode to be even more bonkers. Cersei blowing up the entire cathedral with wildfire and killing so many important characters like the Tyrell siblings, Lord Tyrell and Cersei's own uncle, including all of the fanatics of course. Then we got a very powerful scene of the young king Lanister committing suicide by falling off the castle because he had lost his wife and his faith at the same time. Then after so many freaking seasons, the Starks finally got their revenge for Walder Frey killing Rob and Catelyn as Aya fooled Walder Frey and killed him as well as his sons. I was so happy during the moment when you realise that she was wearing a mask, holy crap. Did not expect that! And finally, the revelation when Brandon Stark found out that John Snow is actually half Stark and half Targaryen. Holy crap! I'm kinda getting a picture of how season 7 will turn out. We saw Daenerys with her whole fleet of thousand ships sail towards Westeros and she's obviously going to conquer King's Landing and defeat the Lanisters once and for all (considering the Lanisters have pretty much already lost everything). Then she's going to want to conquer the rest of Westeros, but I think when she finds out that John is her half-brother, she will form an alliance with him and the North and together they will have the greatest army ever to finally take out the Whitewalkers and the army of the dead. Although the last part will probably be saved for season 8 I think. Either way, very exciting times ahead!

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge Do you not sleep?! 🤣 Two cracking seasons there. I found the whole strict religious stuff a bit annoying, so was glad of how it all turned out lol.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder Well that's how it is when you start binge watching, lol. Just goes to show how great this series is, I never binge watch anything these days because I rarely find anything this compelling to watch. You can also probably tell that I haven't spent much time playing video games because most of my time is now being used to watch this show, lol.

But yeah, that religious stuff was getting annoying and I'm glad it's over now. To be fair though, it was Cersei's fault for even bringing these people into power just because she wanted to get back at Margaery. She's such an idiot, I genuinely hope the Lanisters die in the next season because of how ruthless they are. In fact, this makes me think that the show writers wanted us to think that Cersei has become just like the mad king. I think in one of the episodes, either Jamie or Tyrien said that the mad king wanted to use wildfire to kill everyone in King's Landing, even those who supported him, during the siege. And that's what Cersei did when she blew up the cathedral. Now we've gone full circle and a bunch of people are once again rebelling against the Crown.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge Oh yeah forget about that, and her plan did backfire on her. It was a good feeling when did happen though. You can now make sense of that "shame" gif that you might have seen lol.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

colonelkilgore

Manhunt: Deadly Games - very good actually. Watched the first season about the Unabomber a while back and quite enjoyed it. Really didn’t fancy this one though on hearing the premise (the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games Bombing) but it was very good (quite a bit better than the Unabomber season). Great cast and an intriguing true story that I had never heard the half of.

**** DLC!

RR529

the Right Stuff (Disney+) - inbetween all the Star Wars, Marvel, & general family fare on offer I found this drama focusing on the Mercury space program as NASA was trying to get a man into space before the Soviets. It was actually a pretty solid watch and hopefully not a one off for these kinds of originals on D+.

Momokyun Sword (HiDive via VRV) - A twist on the classic Japanese fable of Momotaro, with the hero being gender swapped into Momoko (a well endowed heroine, because anime). It's pretty much fluff & doesn't take itself too seriously (the heroes & villains are just as likely to put their differences aside for a beach day as they are to try & kill each other), but worth a look if you don't mind a fanservicy guilty pleasure (though, while it is very fanservicy it does stop short of actual nudity).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

LtSarge

So I just finished season 7 of Game of Thrones, which was apparently shorter than the previous seasons for some reason since it only had seven episodes compared to the regular ten. Not that I mind, this season was absolutely phenomenal as well. So many great battles and so many nice reunions. My main issue with this season is the reason for why the Wall was breached by the army of the dead. Jon and a group of people went beyond the Wall in order to bring with them a zombie (I'm just going to call it zombie since I don't care about the correct terminology lol) from the army of the dead in order to prove for Cersei that they exist. A fair amount of people died and when Daenerys came to their rescue, she lost one of her dragons. That dragon was then used by the Night King to melt the Wall down in order to let the army of the dead cross south. Honestly, that's the stupidest sh*t I've ever seen. Jon and Daenerys risked so much just to bring with them a freaking zombie? They pretty much caused their own demise by being so reckless. Not to mention that Cersei didn't care about the army of the dead anyway. I'm sorry, but that's the stupidest reason I've seen and I genuinely believe the show writers could've done that part much better. I mean yeah, okay the dragon is a vital part for the army of the dead to get past the wall and I'm fine with that plot point. I'm just not fine with the reason for why Jon and company went north. For example, they could've made it so that Jon had to travel beyond the Wall in order to find something important. But instead, it was a freaking zombie and I'm not happy with that at all. This is honestly the only issue I've had with the show so far, otherwise it's been absolutely phenomenal overall and I'm really looking forward to season 8 now.

LtSarge

LtSarge

So after several weeks of watching the show, I've finally watched the last season of Game of Thrones and I thought it was brilliant. Personally, I don't think the later seasons differed that much in quality compared to the previous ones except for my main gripe I had with season 7 but it honestly wasn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. And yeah, season 7 and 8 had fewer episodes but I don't think there was much else they could've shown during those seasons. We were nearing the end of the story, so many characters have died and at that point you just want to see how it all ends. As I've said before, this show focuses on quality over quantity and they delivered on that in full.

First, I think the battle with the army of the dead was absolutely intense. Even in the beginning when all the Dothraki went in first and then barely anyone came back was so freaking scary. Then, all of the deads came rushing in like a wave towards the Unsullied was absolutely insane. That whole episode was really good and I liked how Aya was the one to save everyone by defeating the Night King. Then we have the rest of the season that focused on Cersei and King's Landing and I just want to say this: ever since watching season 1, I've always wanted to see Cersei die and watch King's Landing be destroyed because of all the horrible stuff that happened there. I just wanted to see everything in ruins and they definitely delivered on that, it was really satisfying to watch. Obviously it was sad to see Daenerys snap and killing all the innocent people, but I still felt it was necessary for everything to start over with a clean slate. And yeah, it was great to see Cersei come to the realisation that she wanted her child to live but she didn't care about what her actions had caused because she's an a**hole and for that she deserved to die. Although it was sad to see Jamie die as well, he was truly a great person. But yeah, once you realise how horrible Daenerys had also became, you knew that she would die as well and sure enough it happened, by Jon's hand even. It totally makes sense though, she wanted to conquer the rest of the world and she called it "freeing the people" but considering she literally massacred thousands of innocent lives at King's Landing, she would've done the same there as well. She had to be put down and I'm fine with that. What I didn't expect though was to see Brandon be named the king. I thought Jon would become the king since he's the rightful heir, but I guess not and I'm very happy with that outcome actually. Because it makes sense, Brandon knows about everything and he's a composed person who makes rational and informative decisions. He's definitely the right person to lead Westeros. Also cool that Sanza declared the North to be an independent country, and that Aya decided to set sail to the West. What I didn't really understand was why they sentenced Jon to live as a part of the Night's Watch. Considering the army of the dead is gone now, what's the point of the Night's Watch? But I guess it was because instead of letting Jon die for killing Daenerys, they "exiled" him to beyond the wall along with the wildlings to live out his life in peace. Which is cool, but it's still sad to see how far he had come just to lose it all. I'm also glad to see that at least one of the Starks' wolves is alive (i.e. Jon's Ghost). It was always so sad when one of the wolves got killed.

So yeah, this has been an absolutely great show to watch and definitely an amazing introduction to the world of HBO. I'm definitely hooked now and will keep watching more shows on the service. I also saw that they're apparently making a new season of Game of Thrones that's coming out next year, which is really cool and I'm very excited for that. But yeah, Game of Thrones is one of the best TV shows I've ever watched and I enjoyed every moment of it. Definitely one of the most high-quality shows you can find out there. What an amazing ride this has been!

LtSarge

LtSarge

So I just have to write this post because now that I'm done with Game of Thrones and can look it up on YouTube without having to worry about spoilers, there really is a lot of dislike for the ending of the show and I need to post my thoughts about why the alternative endings wouldn't have been better:

Let's say that Daenerys didn't die and Jon let her live. What would've happened? She would've tried to conquer the entire world just like she was planning on doing and as a result, tens of thousands of innocent lives would die just like at King's Landing. From the beginning, her only goal was to take back the seven kingdoms because she was the rightful heir, but now she wants to conquer the world? And Jon would just obey her every command while knowing that it was all wrong? It wouldn't feel right at all, not to mention that the people would rebel against her just like they rebelled against Cersei because both have become horrible rulers. And they'd all end up dead anyway and some other ruler would take their place.

Now, let's say that Jon became the king because he is the true heir to the iron throne. He didn't want to become the king, he promised that he would always serve Daenerys. In the scene where Daenerys and Jon met Cersei for a truce, Jon said that if you're always lying and not upholding your honour, then promises won't mean anything anymore. Jon was always honourable and that's what people liked about him. So if he took the throne for himself, he would've broken his promise to Daenerys. Not to mention that Daenerys wouldn't just sit idly by and accept him as the king because her entire goal was to take back the seven kingdoms because she was the rightful heir. She wouldn't just let him have it after all this time.

Now, let's say that they got married and both ruled over the seven kingdoms. Still wouldn't change the fact that Daenerys wanted to conquer the world and Jon would never be able to convince her to stop, so they would always be at each other's throat and eventually it would've ended in a poor way. Maybe Daenerys kills Jon and then the North would start a war against her and either she dies or the North gets destroyed. Like no matter what you think, Daenerys' and her dragon's existence would always pose a threat to Westeros. That's why it's good that the dragon flew away at the end.

I've also read that people are saying that all of this has been for nothing, like everything Daenerys and Jon have done didn't matter in the end and I totally get that. But it wasn't all for nothing. Daenerys helped save Westeros from the army of the dead, that was her entire purpose. And now we're delving into the "Lord of the Light" territory. First, that man from the Brotherhood was brought back from the dead every time so that he could protect Arya from the dead because she was needed to kill the Night King. And Jon was brought back from the dead so that he could kill Daenerys before she grew too large and became unstoppable and as a result, killing even more tens of thousands of innocent lives. So all of this definitely wasn't for nothing.

One final thing I want to say is that people shouldn't forget that this show has always done something you wouldn't expect. They executed Ned Stark, one of the most prominent characters of this show. They murdered Rob and Catelyn Stark, another two major characters of the show. They killed the prince of Dorne when he volunteered to be Tyrion's champion during his trial. His sister was raped and killed by the Mountain, he wanted revenge and in the end, the Mountain killed him anyway. Then Jon was killed and people accepted it, but then he was brought back. The show has always done stuff that you don't expect or don't like and that's what they did with the ending. Did people want Ned Stark to die? Or Rob Stark? Did people not want to see the prince of Dorne get his revenge? By that logic, the show has been terrible this entire time, not just the ending. Everyone expected either Daenerys or Jon or both to rule Westeros, but that would be too obvious because that's what everything has been leading up to. So they chose to do something unexpected and make Brandon the king of Westeros. If people had watched the show back-to-back like I've done, I think it would've made more sense for them why it had to be this way. If the show had ended like most people wanted, then that would've made it less interesting and it wouldn't have stayed true to itself. They've always done the unexpected and the ending was no different and I'm really happy for that. Making Brandon the king was definitely a more interesting outcome than the obvious ones. Naturally though, I'm in the minority for thinking like this and I know that Game of Thrones means so much to a lot of people, which is why they were disappointed by the ending. But if they had just tempered their expectations like how the show has always been, they would've "expected the unexpected". I knew Daenerys would die, wasn't sure if Jon would become the king or not but I definitely knew they would make the ending unexpected like they've always done.

Anyway, I'm starting to repeat myself now so I feel like I'm finished writing my thoughts. Either way, no matter what you think about the ending, the show overall was absolutely phenomenal and I've never seen a show deliver so many consistently awesome moments from beginning to end.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

Oooooh didn't know this was coming, and so soon too.

MightyDemon82

@JohnnyShoulder yet another title to add to the watch list. Might be something I can watch with the Mrs as our tastes very rarely line up but we both enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House.

MightyDemon82

JohnnyShoulder

@MightyDemon82 I thought The Haunting of Hill House was the best horror thing of that year. Didn't think much of Bly Manor, so hopefully it be as slow paced as the latter.

LtSarge

@JohnnyShoulder I was so excited to watch Bly Manor after how great Hill House was. Then it turned out to be one of the most boring shows I've watched this year. It took me months to get through it because of how slow-paced it was. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to spend so much time on giving so many characters extensive backstories.

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge I know, right?! I don't think I ever finished Bly Manor as I just didn't care about any of the characters. Which is the complete opposite to Hill House.

LtSarge

Just finished watching season 2 of Supergirl. I have already watched season 1 and most of 2 from years ago so I've been catching up on this show by rewatching those episodes and finally watching the episodes that I haven't seen. It's so weird to be watching this show again after so long, but I like it. Although it's strange to be watching something other than Game of Thrones, which has dominated my life the past month. I feel like everything I'll watch from here on out won't feel as good as GoT, and Supergirl in particular is a great example of a show that doesn't have the best writing. The protagonist just isn't that likeable, she's so reckless and after every episode where she learns to do the "right thing", she then proceeds in the next episode to continue behaving recklessly. It's like she doesn't have any character development whatsoever and they're having her act this way for plot convenience.

The craziest part was easily one of the recent episodes I just watched. An alien race has invaded earth and what does the president of the United States do? She flies in to the warzone in order to confront the aliens instead of sending their military forces at them. Yeah, because that's what the actual president would do: when we're being invaded by an alien race who wants to kill us, Joe Biden is going to fly in on Air Force One and stop them. Like holy crap, this show is so dumb sometimes.

I also don't like that so far, we haven't seen that many villains. One reason why I love shows like Arrow and The Flash is because of all the villains, especially in the case of The Flash. For example, Reverse Flash, Zoom, Savitar, The Thinker, Gorilla Grodd, Captain Cold and so on. So far we've barely seen any villains like that in Supergirl, they're mostly just generic characters. It was rather promising in the first season when they started out with Livewire, but since then we've only seen basic alien villains who aren't memorable at all. I'm really hoping things will improve in season 3.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Supergirl starts out a bit slow and dodgy but it actually gets quite comforting when you compare it to the doom and gloom of Arrow and eventually The Flash’s season long grim arcs.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Yeah that's the impression I've been getting as well. Although The Flash is more light-hearted than Arrow, Supergirl is definitely the most comforting show out of those three. I just wish there were more cool things going on that involved iconic villains since I love learning more about the Marvel/DC universes.

LtSarge

hypnotoad

The Many Saints Of Newark.

A prequel to one of the greatest TV series of all time and I can't wait.

I really can't, ya know.

hypnotoad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic