Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 4,447

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Asking this over here, just to be tidy...

How does the third season of Twin Peaks hold up when re-watching it? Are you finding new details and thinking differently about it, or is it reinforcing your theories from before?

And yes, that was a tactical GIF deployment yesterday.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I watched that woodworking show last week on TV and noticed that one of the guys who was covered in tattoos had ‘88’ written on his face. Lo and behold, over the weekend, Twitter started talking about the Nazi on the woodworking show and now it’s been cancelled and won’t be shown on TV 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett The best part was Sky saying it was the year his dad died.

The next day...

Untitled

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Ohhh noooo hahahaha that’s classic, you’d think somebody would have picked up on this somewhere on set?
Untitled

batwing47

@nessisonett I am late in responding to this, but I highly recommend that you stick with Legends of Tomorrow. The first season is really rough (Dominic Purcell has gone on record saying that the first season sucked), but the show ends up being a blast. I honestly dropped Arrow when they got to season 6 because there was too much melodrama.

Eat the path.

PSN: batwing47

nessisonett

@batwing47 I’m really enjoying Legends of Tomorrow season 1 to be honest, unless something really rubbish happens then I’m not sure why people weren’t fussed about it!

mookysam

@RogerRoger I'm curious to see how the revival holds up as it was one of those programmes where viewing it disjointed on a weekly basis wasn't necessarily the best way to enjoy it. I'm currently debating whether to get the third season stand alone or treat myself to the super boxset (despite already have the other seasons and film on Blu-ray).

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

batwing47

@nessisonett I am glad you are digging it. People mainly had issues with the villain and the hawk people. In any case, it only gets better from season 1.

Eat the path.

ralphdibny

@batwing47 I liked Kendra but Carter was so lame, as was Vandal. Not sure if Kendra just got better because of her storyline after season 1, also Vandals much later appearance in the show gave me a chuckle!

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny @batwing47 Personally, I like how moustache-twirlingly evil Vandal is, he’s like a proper classic comics baddie. I really like Kendra but I feel like Carter was mostly underused so it’s hard to really tell if he’s a good character or not. I just wish they’d used different actors in the Egyptian flashbacks, they clearly would have been born into Egyptian bodies if their reincarnations all look different!

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I think that's basically it with Carter also his voice is too deep 😂. Smallville hawkman was a lot better if I remember rightly. I think Casper crump could be good as a different baddie but Vandal Savage is like a neanderthal and the Legends kept banging on about how he's this massive big bad and when he's on screen he's just a bit laughable considering how much they hype him up! Sorry I don't mean to bang on with my negative opinion if you are enjoying it! I'll try to zip it because I don't Wana spoil it!

See ya!

batwing47

@nessisonett @ralphdibny Ya, Hawkman was a big issue with the season 1. I also feel like they were still trying to figure out what to do with the show. The first season is a lot more dark/serious than the later seasons. I mean they got a dude who gives off serious Charles Manson vibes to play Vandal Savage, so what would you expect? Wentworth Miller is the highlight of the season for me. The dude is a seriously underrated actor. The joy of the later seasons is that they just try to have fun with the show. They don't try to force drama into the show in inorganic ways (looking at Felicity in Arrow). I may be a bit biased though, as I absolutely love Matt Ryan as Constantine and he is in the most recent seasons.

Eat the path.

zupertramp

This post contains some modestly spoiler-ish talk regarding the Arrowverse...

@ralphdibny It's interesting what works for some just completely misses the mark for others. Like Cryer's Lex Luthor. I just can't. He just doesn't pull it off imo. It was right around the time he showed up, coupled with the unintentionally comical "Like and Subscribe" baddies, that I just had to pull the plug. (I was already teetering when Brainiac came along.) I much prefer Lena Luthor and her mother as overarching nemeses.

Also concerning The Flash, while I thought the guy who played Elastic Man was fine, whatever he may have said on Twitter, anything that required his character's elasticity was just hard to look at. Then they underused Keiynan Lonsdale's Kid Flash and Violett Beane as Jesse Quick but really over did it with all the Wells characters. And I get that there isn't an unlimited supply but speedster villains just seemed to work so much better as mains in my view.

And more broadly I thought the smaller, more individual crossovers (like the musical) played out so much better than the grander multi-show, multi-episode events.

But these are all my rather humble opinions that I don't expect everyone else to share.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

ralphdibny

@batwing47 ah yeah captain cold was brilliant! I love the little references in the most recent season where Mick goes trick or treating and his daughter is captain cold and also when John is about to go to Antarctica wearing all the captain cold gear!

@zupertramp yeah fair enough! I think Lex really came into his own from Crisis onwards though, I guess it took a bit of time to get used to him and for him to get used to the role.

I loved both Kid Flash and Jessie Quick so I was gutted they weren't in it much. I do agree the effects for Elongated Man were a bit rough at times but I never expect much out of these shows, Arrow has the most ridiculous physical effects that really come undone if you are paying close attention. But mostly the effects on Ralph were used for comedy and they did the job as I was laughing a lot when he was on screen. I was gutted when he got the sack though as he was my favourite character at that point and still is (hence my username). I may not carry on watching the Flash unless they get another decent sidekick in to be honest. I really liked Julian too, Tom Felton was brilliant in the role in the kind of friendly adversarial role against Barry/The Flash. That scene where he goes round their house for dinner wearing a bowtie is just brilliant!

I'm sure lots of people share your opinions! We all take what we want or need from our shows and probably like them for different reasons!

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I think it’ll be interesting going into the episodes with Elongated Man just because of the truly silly and terrible things the actor said. It’s hard to love a character when you know they’re going to be a goner due to external circumstances. For me, it’s strange watching Kevin Spacey movies now even if I loved them at the time. It’s a strange one.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett it is a shame really, he's proper loveable in the show. I think trying to be funny on twitter in incredibly bad taste is a far cry from Kevin Spacey though. But yeah I still love all the X men films despite Bryan Singers involvement. I still think American Beauty is a great film. Just wish old Dibbers didn't get sacked though! It's a great loss to the show.

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Oh yeah, I’m not equating the two, it’s more in the sense that going back and watching stuff with people who’ve completely stuffed their own career by being idiots is sometimes quite hard!

ralphdibny

@nessisonett it can taint it when the people are obviously horrible people like Kevin Spacey and Bryan singer but I'm not too fussed by the James Gunns and the Hartley Sawyer's because their work is such good quality that while it doesn't excuse their mistakes, trying to be funny and it falling flatter than a pancake is not something I'm going to hold against them. I know you will probably disagree but that's kinda how I feel about it, plus I want Ralph Dibney back 😭😂

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny It’s a tough one because while people definitely have done worse, people have also done a whole lot less and yet their careers have gone down the pan. Generally, the ones that survive are the ones who quickly apologise, pledge to do better and take a bit of a break from social media. It’s the people who double down, victim blame or throw a wobbly that won’t recover. I have to say though, seeing Blake Jenner on screen in Supergirl alongside Melissa Benoist was insanely awkward given what we now know about his abusive behaviour towards her, like watching a car crash before it happened.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I didn't even realise he was in Supergirl to be honest, though I don't really know who he is anyway apart from the whole abuse thing. Hartley sawyer did tick all your boxes for getting his job back but alas no luck and I doubt he will have any to be honest. Bryan singer on the other hand was ahead of the curve, he deleted his Twitter before the (then) most recent allegations came out and it barely registered at all because he didn't have a twitter handle to be tagged. He was still directing bohemian rhapsody at the time and only got replaced because he just left work one day and never came back. Not sure if he's working on anything now. The guy who did jeepers creepers is the worse one though, he's a convicted paedo and still had regular jobs for like 30 years after it (I may have some of my facts a bit wonky, it's not really something I follow in great depth tbh!)

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic