Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 2,383

nessisonett

@QualityGeezer Hahaha I’m the first to admit that it was a different era of football though, their achievements are already being underplayed by the wider community and it’ll end up a sad factoid, like Preston North End winning the First Division back in the 1890s. You basically just need to decide which despotic nation to sell your club to these days if you want success so we’ll see what comes of these charges they’ve brought against City.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

QualityGeezer

@nessisonett the Scottish league is poor in fairness but so are alot of league's, Ajax couldn't do it nor Barca or real so fair play to Celtic

QualityGeezer

KAIRU

I can't be the only person who thinks Declan Rice is worth £100m? Ridiculous evaluation. He'd be worth less than half of that if he wasn't English.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

sorteddan

@KAIRU
I get what you mean but ultimately nobody is worth anything except that which others are prepared to pay. Footballers transfer fees have been outrageous for a long time now.

I imagine they will try to tie him to a 5-year deal and think of it as a £20m per season outlay. And £20m a season for one of the better holding (potential box-to-box) midfielders is not that big a deal. Given that he is also a potential future England captain and home grown players are useful to have for European competition squads I can see why the value is as high as it is. Caceido is valued by Brighton at around £70-80m so it's not that much higher considering the experience he has in the Premier league.

Also consider how much West Ham themselves are about to write off on Scamacca after one disappointing year or how much Kalvin Phillips cost (reported about £50m) despite not playing hardly at all last season. If Rice plays 40+ games a season like he has been doing then he has to better value than those two.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

KAIRU

@sorteddan Aye, that's a fair point. The money involved and the price of players is just getting absolutely ridiculous now. Wouldn't surprise me if we see a player get sold for a billion pounds in my lifetime.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah the money swirling around top level football is gross, but I've long stopped trying to get my head round it, as they are so far removed from us normal folk it is insane.

But it does look likes something could be do about it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

So much for any fun surrounding getting a new manager, looks like we’re getting Brendan Rodgers again. Just feels like a step backwards, he’s inheriting a team that works a specific system and I’m not convinced that he has any sort of vision.

QualityGeezer

Dissapointed Bellingham has gone to Madrid for that price after liverpool pulled out citing cost. Be a very scary proposition if they sign mbappe as well, tho I'd rather he go there than city, him and Haaland would be scary beyond belief

QualityGeezer

KAIRU

@QualityGeezer Would be interesting to see Mbappe in the Premier League, to be honest. I feel Mbappe v Haaland would be the next generation equivalent of Messi v Ronaldo and I'd be all for it.

QualityGeezer

@KAIRU so would I mate as long as he signs for liverpool which is very unlikely, not many teams can afford him so dreading there's a chance he could go to city

QualityGeezer

sorteddan

@nessisonett
I think Rogers has a plan. The plan is win some trophies, rebuild reputation and rekindle interest from bigger clubs in England. Looking forward to hearing him dismiss questions about it in his press conference.

@QualityGeezer
I'm quite pleased with it to be honest. One of England's best prospects getting to experience another style of football at one of the world's biggest clubs and adapting to playing with some outstanding players. Look forward to seeing him dominating games in the Champions league.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

nessisonett

@sorteddan He might have done well with us last time but that was at a time where there was quite literally zero competition. Since he’s been gone, Rangers have gotten to a European final so I think he’ll very quickly realise that his same tactics won’t work this time round.

KAIRU

@QualityGeezer I think Liverpool's priority this Summer is sorting that midfield out. Signing Mac Allister from Brighton should be a good one for them.

sorteddan

@nessisonett
Well I understand that you could probably never say, or even admit, it but it may be good for the league to see Rangers win it again. A league where only one team ever since loses a lot of its appeal - see for example the EPL! I think that's why so many neutrals (me included) were hoping Arsenal could hold on this year.

nessisonett

@sorteddan They won it 2 years ago! I’d be alright with a team like Aberdeen being good again but not Rangers 😂

sorteddan

@nessisonett
Did they really?! Damn I'd assumed you'd lot had just been dominant for ever now. Showing my ignorance I suppose. Think the last time I watched a Scottish league game was when Gazza was around! And yeah I cant even begin to imagine anyone but the Old Firm duo being champions.

QualityGeezer

@KAIRU I agree McAllister is a good signing and if we can get another few 35m players then makes more sense than blowing our budget on one player

QualityGeezer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic