Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 2,383

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Everyone after what Kane and Southgate said....

Untitled

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

stvevan

unpopular opinions on England... Kane shouldnt be captain, should be more focused upfront. needs to be someone who can organise def/mid/give a rollocking when needed.

too much outer noise with PC virtue statements. the arch/knee/armband etc. the statement would have been not going. the focus needs to be on football.

stvevan

sorteddan

When getting to the finals the first target is to qualify from the group. Barring an absolute shocker against Wales we should manage to do that. Get to the knockout stages and we'll see what happens.

I'm not an Southgate apologist (or even fan really )and realise and accept that it was a really boring game where most players played within themselves but it's far from the disaster people seem to be making out. We're not changing managers mid tournament so let's move on and look forward to Tuesday.

Also people in leadership positions often have to maintain a positive stance, at least in public statements, otherwise the people they are leading lose faith in their direction. So I can understand why manager and captain try to do the glass half full thing.

At least that's what I think.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

CthulhuFhtagn

I'm happy Argentina won but I can't keep my hopes high. they need an update for system stability.
looking forward to another brilliant Japanese show.

Edited on by CthulhuFhtagn

CthulhuFhtagn

JohnnyShoulder

@JudgeDredd Pretty sure England have been playing 3 at the back of late and the last tournament, and they did knock 6 past Iran not even 7 days ago. They were poor against USA though, no getting away from that.

Didn't think it would be possible, but Belgium today have made England's performance against USA not that bad. Never really rated Roberto Martinez as a top manager though.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

Of course I miss the Morocco result, expecting it to be a walkover 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

Bit of a shame for Wales, but they didn’t play well at all. England are proving to be a bit slow in the first half in their matches, but they’ve proven that they can score at least. It just remains to be seen whether they can afford to start slow once they get into knockout matches against harder opponents.

nessisonett

@KAIRU Two quite young teams, hoping that we see the quality that they clearly contain in their squads. I was happy with Cameron Carter-Vickers’ performance tonight, he’s been great for Celtic so it’s nice to see him getting a bit of recognition internationally.

nessisonett

@KAIRU We’ve got a few players at the World Cup actually, him with the US, Maeda with Japan, Mooy with the Aussies and Juranovic with Croatia. And then we’ve signed Johnston from Canada just there so not bad for a team outside of the top leagues! Just need to hope none of them get their legs broken 😂

nessisonett

@KAIRU One of the Aussies that plays for Hibs has already got himself injured at the World Cup and he’ll be out for 9 months. It’s one of the disadvantages of it being at this time of year, you just don’t have that same recovery period.

nessisonett

Really happy for Australia, they deserve it! Such a shame for Tunisia though, they gave France a proper runaround.

JohnnyShoulder

@KAIRU They just had their England moment from about 8 years ago. Also with their supposed 'Golden Generation'.

See Martinez has resigned.

The_Moose

@KAIRU Yeah quite shocking really. Didn't expect them to make it to the final but at least to make it out of the groups.

Really pleased for Morocco though. They've earned their 1st place.

Here's hoping Japan make it through tonight.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

nessisonett

Bloody hell what a finish to Group E!

ApostateMage

This World Cup has come alive! Absolutely brilliant drama.

Football ❤

ApostateMage

CthulhuFhtagn

Japan🇯🇵 gave me a heart attack 😥.

CthulhuFhtagn

nessisonett

Really hope we see a better angle of that ball for Japan’s second goal though, that’s the toughest of margins for Germany to go out on!

nessisonett

@KAIRU Considering that the ITV team were directly above it and still think that it’s out of play, you do wonder why FIFA aren’t releasing the video. There’ll be a lot of Germans very very unhappy, if my great nana was still alive then she’d be screaming at the TV!

The_Moose

This is the most interesting world cup I've lived through I think. Kudos to Japan.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

nessisonett

@KAIRU Saw the released angle there and it’s so so close but I can understand why it was given now.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic