Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 1,821 to 1,840 of 2,383

nessisonett

Bunch of absolute cowards. Everybody should take the booking and show FIFA up, while making the Qatar World Cup live on as one of the worst in memory, where half the players were punished for the phrase ‘One Love’. I can guarantee that at least one player will get booked for taking their top off after a goal, so what makes this any different? Well I don’t want them speaking on my behalf ever again, if they’re so afraid of facing consequences for their support. It’s such a tiny consequence in comparison to what they’re protesting too.

Edited on by LiamCroft

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

I was forced to put the radio on at work, so listened the first half. Great start by England!

@JudgeDredd Saka has been in good form for Arsenal of late, so I thinks he deserves his spot in the starting eleven.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Bizarre hour of football. Disgusting that they let that goalie go back on when he was clearly out of it. Three great goals from England though.

stvevan

good start, Bellingham is so classy.

the Iran forward would be a good buy for a Brighton type team who struggle to score

stvevan

nessisonett

England looked very impressive, even if it was just against Iran. Particularly Saka and Bellingham, but Callum Wilson didn’t need to pass to Grealish there and showed himself to be a really selfless player with that assist.

JohnnyShoulder

@KAIRU No Spurs biased with you I see! 😂

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

CthulhuFhtagn

people in Iran really love football but right now no body supports the national team and some people are really happy that the team and players were humiliated. they were expected to lose but not like that. weird game.

CthulhuFhtagn

nessisonett

@CthulhuFhtagn I saw that the team had put out a message supporting the protestors and refused to sing the national anthem so I wasn’t sure what kind of reaction that got back home.

CthulhuFhtagn

@nessisonett that felt more like a show. they were desperate for support. I'm not saying all of them were just acting but it was too late. they had enough time to do or say something but not even a simple post on social media. people were and still are very angry.

CthulhuFhtagn

JohnnyShoulder

Players sometimes get a bad rep, but I thought that was a real nice touch by Jack Grealish yesterday with his celebration, which is what he promised to a 11 year old boy he met who has cerebral palsy.

JohnnyShoulder

@KAIRU It could be yeah. I think his sister also has cerebral palsy too, so that is probably why they connected.

CthulhuFhtagn

what a disappointing performance by Argentina. they looked totally different in qualifications. terrible defence, like any other world cups.

CthulhuFhtagn

nessisonett

Dear god Argentina. The fact the pundits have been consistently calling them the favourites probably didn’t help!

MightyDemon82

I'm not a football fan but I have Saudi and Poland in the work Sweepie 😂

MightyDemon82

sorteddan

@MightyDemon82
Then you may have well as just chucked some quids down a drain.
I refused to take part and was met with the claim that it's just a bit of fun. I replied by asking what would be fun about paying to open a piece of paper and being disappointed when it said Poland. I upset a Polish colleague with that remark but was just using them as an example of mid range but no real hope of winning team.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

MightyDemon82

@sorteddan haha I know but I was told both teams would get thrashed in today's games and one team won and the other drew!

MightyDemon82

sorteddan

@MightyDemon82
Yeah but the reason we (many people) love footie is that any team can beat another on their day. Do you hold out any real hope of either of them winning it or even progressing to the semis?

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

MightyDemon82

@sorteddan Sorry for the late reply, I don't have any real hope but at the end of the day it was a gamble for a fiver which the winner will put towards our xmas night out. So everybody wins

MightyDemon82

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah I see no problem in doing a sweepstake. It is just a bit of harmless fun at the end of the day. If anyone is that against it, you can always choose not to do it. 🤷‍♂️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic