Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 2,383

NedStarksGhost

Non league football starts this weekend. Anybody on here follow it at all or fans of a team in non league?

NedStarksGhost

JohnnyShoulder

@NedStarksGhost Give it a season or two and my local team Swindon might be there!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@NedStarksGhost Due to Football Manager I have a soft spot for both Hartlepool and Bromley. I always try to keep an eye out for how they’re doing, which is never as good as my Champions League spots in the Premier League that I got them to 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

NedStarksGhost

@JohnnyShoulder Well my team (Wrexham) will hopefully get to play you in the league before that happens!

@nessisonett ah nice! Football manager seems to do that to some. I can see there being a lot of people going Wrexham this year due to our owners...

NedStarksGhost

nessisonett

@NedStarksGhost Ahh cool, must be weird for your team to be in the news and for Americans to be suddenly interested! In a way, I’m not actually sure how I’d feel if I had been a fan my whole life as sure, the extra attention and Hollywood owners would bring more revenue but then it sort of feels like you’re slightly losing the identity of the ‘true fans’. But then I’m a big fan of It’s Always Sunny so yeah, I’d be well chuffed 😂😂

NedStarksGhost

@nessisonett it's absolutely insane and I'm loving every second of it. To be fair to them I don't feel like any identity has been lost, they're very respectful of the heritage and stuff. I get what you mean looking in from the outside it would seem it will go that way but I can honestly say it isn't.

It's gone down extremely well with the fans, we've sold over 5000 tickets so far and I can see us going up to 7000 which is crazy, and this will be a lot of regular fans who would only buy the odd matchday ticket.

With any success, comes new fans and I'm cool with that. Plus this will attract a lot of people who haven't been for years as they got fed up of watching us struggle to be competitive on a low budget.

Given we had been a middle of the road conference team for about 8 years, we needed the change!

I loved Deadpool 1 and 2, and when it was announced that it was Ryan and Rob, I couldn't even think straight for the rest of the night the excitement was insane!

NedStarksGhost

nessisonett

@NedStarksGhost At least they’re looking like good owners then! Props to them for trying to keep the heritage intact.

Thrillho

@johncalmc
Untitled

At least you'll have some good money in the bank after somehow palming Ramsdale off to Arsenal. How the FM legend that is Billy Sharp is still going for you guys, I have no idea.

Thrillho

johncalmc

@Thrillho Yeah but we also spent millions and millions of pounds on incredibly mediocre players.

I think we might do a Sunderland and end up in League One.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Thrillho

@johncalmc Just don’t do a Coventry and end up in League Two (although we actually won some trophies at that level so it was more fun than finishing in the bottom half of the league again).

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Is that right you've now got the Ricoh Stadium back. Been through turmoil the last few years!

Absolutely crazy end of the 1st half at Liverpool v Chelsea, with Chelsea getting two yellow cards, a red, conceding a penalty and a goal. Then the handbags afterwards! Shame the first half kinda fizzled out but Chelsea did defend well. Frustratingly.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder That’s the Coventry Building Society Arena to you!

In answer to your question, sort of. The club never owned the stadium and the owners have been in various legal wrangles with the owners (the council) for years and years. The stadium got bought by Wasps rugby team which led to more fruitless legal shenanigans but now those have been dropped, they finally agreed terms to rent the ground again.

Basically, an awful hedge fund owns the club and has seen owning the stadium as their ultimate goal. Fun times!

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Ah yeah, that's right I remember hearing about it on the radio.

At least they no longer have to play their home games at some random stadium now!

Still don't know how some of these owners take charge of these clubs. Makes a bit of a mockery of the "fit and proper person test"!

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder The worst part with Coventry’s owners was the year they put the club into administration and then a subsidiary of that company then bought the club.

Massively dodgy all round but the FA don’t care.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Yeah I worked for a company that went into administration before. Not good times.

JohnnyShoulder

I'm kinda liking the ref's this season, in letting the games flow a bit more. Much better than the stop/start there has been over the last couple or so seasons.

In the Burnley v Leeds match there were a few tasty tackles! I quite liked it, but I'm a bit old skool like that.

BowTiesAreCool

@kevilc up here in Manchester we refer to games against a Steve Bruce side as a Brucie Bonus haha. I could be wrong but I don't think he's ever beaten us (United) since leaving

BowTiesAreCool

JohnnyShoulder

That doesn't look good for young lad Elliott playing for Liverpool. Hope he makes a quick and full recovery.

BowTiesAreCool

@JohnnyShoulder yeah especially as his career was getting early momentum as well. He looks decent enough and age is on his side so I'm sure he'll be fine eventually. Felt sorry for the Leeds player as well.

BowTiesAreCool

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic