Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 2,383

JohnnyShoulder

Congrats to Italy!

The England boys did us proud just by getting to a final. Hopefully the lads can go on and do one better next time.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

England should be very proud to have reached the finals. But Italy is very much deserving of the title.

(Oh, and Southgate made terrible decisions regarding the penalty series. Ouch...)

Kidfried

Th3solution

Condolences to England and congrats to Italy.
Didn’t watch the game but I saw the result online.
To anyone grieving, think of it this way — at least your country’s team didn’t just lose to Nigeria (cough) US Basketball (cough)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

Bloody hell, the amount of racist abuse those three who missed their penalties are taking is insane. Monkey emojis, name calling, the lot. And people wonder why they were taking the knee.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

andreoni79

I missed the match because of my job but finally now I can see the highlights.
BTW...
Untitled

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

themcnoisy

Terrible second half. Such a capitulation, handed Italy the game more or less. However Jorginho should have been sent off and the referee was being an absolute divvy. He wasn't giving us basic fouls and Italy played quite dirty at times. At least 5 or 6 easy freekicks missed by the ref and it really effected us.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Victor_Meldrew

boring pragmatic rubbish, most of this tournament from England was awful, Germany win was good, that about it, not much joy in destroying an awful Ukraine

Victor_Meldrew

Kidfried

England basically stopped trying to score after 30 minutes. And I learned Harry Kane didn't touch the ball a single time in the 18-yard box, so that's pretty much all you need to know about England's game.

Kidfried

Gremio108

Euro 2016: England go out after a limp last 16 defeat to Iceland.

Euro 2020: England reach the final and go toe to toe with one of the best teams in the world for 120 minutes.

It was a harsh way to end the tournament but perspective and all that.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

sorteddan

Agree with @Gremio108. Of course it hurts immediately after defeat, especially when the whole nation had our hopes up and got carried away, but it is still progress and we should be proud of what the team achieved.

Hopefully we can now look to build a new team and develop a more attacking style that includes more of the talent (Grealish, Sancho, Foden etc.)

It sucks, but it was predictable.

There will always be an England.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

R1spam

@Gremio108 absolutely the way to look at it, semi final of last world cup, final of euros only lost on penalties. World Cup next year with a hungry young team. They can play different formations and have enough football savy to change how they play mid- match, which is a huge change from the 4-4-2 years. Hope their fans give them credit and acknowledge what Southgate has achieved in turning their fortunes around.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

RogerRoger

nessisonett wrote:

Bloody hell, the amount of racist abuse those three who missed their penalties are taking is insane. Monkey emojis, name calling, the lot. And people wonder why they were taking the knee.

This. My immediate thought when Rashford hit the post was "close your Twitter account, mate" and it's a pretty horrific indictment of the state of the game that my mind went there first. I felt awful for him, Sancho and Saka; not because they missed (as far as I'm concerned, they're freakin' heroes for stepping up, no matter the outcome) but because of the tsunami of bile they're now having to endure. When I saw my fears validated by this morning's headlines, my heart sank.

And it's only one example of woeful head-shaking from last night. Fans booing the Italian anthem, a mob storming the stadium's disabled access and shoving people out of their seats, drunken brawling before kick-off and a self-absorbed social media nonce invading the pitch all made for a shocking display. We shouldn't be allowed to host anything. We can't be trusted.

I look at our players and I'm proud to be English, but then I look at our fans and I'm ashamed.

Anyway, congratulations to Italy! Penalties are the worst way to decide a tournament but, on balance, I think the best team won. That isn't to diminish England's remarkable achievement, and so many of our players are still so young, so our future's looking bright.

Should two of the Italian players been red-carded? Of course they should have, but then England only got to the final because of an own goal and a dodgy penalty, so it's swings and roundabouts.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

I really enjoyed watching Donnarumma, Chiesa and Bonucci yesterday. And Mancini was the best coach of the tournament in my opinion. I wish these racists didn't exist, so we'd talk more about the players instead.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Something needs to change, whether that is some kind of identification verification for social media or the platforms stepping up with blocked words, I don't know. But it seems to be getting worse and worse, and it seems nothing is being done about it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

sorteddan

RogerRoger wrote:

I look at our players and I'm proud to be English, but then I look at our fans and I'm ashamed.

Spot on Rog

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder I don't know if the social media is the problem, but I know it's great at exposing what kind of people are living in our countries. It has always been this bad; but those of us who weren't living it, just didn't know or noticed.

Black soccer players have had to endure monkey sounds for as long as I remember. Personally I remember Kluivert and Eto'o at Barcelona in the nineties, but it probably has happened to every black player in soccer history.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried You are right black players have always been racially abused, however if someone is caught these days they do get punished in some countries. I believe some Hungary fans got caught singing some kind of abusive chants at the Euros, and they got got punished and so did the football team for Hungary. Personally I think the punishment should be stricter in these instances, but that is a discussion for another day maybe.

You see too many people say that when they do report they have been racially abused, the social media platforms do not even recognise it as being racist. They seem to be content to just continue what they are currently doing, when it cleary is not good enough. Like I said, something needs to change.

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder Excellent points.

Overall I enjoyed most of the tournament's games. The matches between France - Switzerland and Italy - Belgium (should have been the final) were Euro's highlights. Both of them were exciting until the very last minute, and just had a lot of great moments.

Players I admired most were Pogba and Shick.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Patrik Schick was brilliant that tournament. Pretty sure we’ll be showing clips of that goal against us for years to come.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic