Forums

Topic: The Presidium - A General Mass Effect Topic

Posts 161 to 180 of 347

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Holy heck, how fast do you play?!

I've been making waaay more gaming time than I usually do, and I'm only a third of the way through Mass Effect 2. I feel so inadequate!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@RogerRoger Well to be honest I have played the games multiple times so I pretty much knew my way around them all. The platinum trophies are really easy this time around too. I got the platinum in 2 and when I beat 3 I'll have all the trophies bar one which will be easily attainable at the start of another playthrough. If only I hadn't messed 1 up.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Yeah, but... I just... how are you finding the hours?! Although you're probably not stopping every ten seconds to use the Photo Mode, I suppose.

[watches as a plethora of gorgeous screenshots appear, feels even more inadequate]

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@RogerRoger Well, I just make time I suppose. It's not like I'm balancing my time between saving orphans from burning buildings, training for marathons, and getting the platinum trophy in Mass Effect. I don't really have other hobbies. I can quite easily get ten hours of gaming in on a Saturday and Sunday, plus whatever I do during the week. Plus, my girlfriend is a gamer, so we never have one of those, "Turn Mass Effect off, it's time to watch Love Island," things eating into my space quest time.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc That's awesome that you've managed to strike such a balance (and found such a like-minded girlfriend, as well). I'm similarly devoid of other hobbies, more or less, but I do have to walk away from gaming every now and again, whether I want to or not.

Also, it's about time those orphans saved themselves. Here's to your second playthrough!

Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@RogerRoger I was going to play it again right away with Lady Shepard but I think I'll have a break and go back to it later.

Having blasted through these games, I have to say there are some things about the series that have aged really well and some that have aged quite poorly. The shooting - even with the updates - is rubbish in the first one. The latter two are okay. Controls are pretty clunky. Dialogue and voice acting runs the gamut from quite brilliant to facepalm worthy.

Mostly, what I have been really, really impressed with, is just how great the final mission of Mass Effect 2 is. The way it blends a normal mission with story and the consequences to choices that you made throughout the game... it's really a wonderful thing, and something I'm not sure I've ever seen done better since. Fun.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Yeah, whilst I pass no judgement on your perseverance, I think a break would be smart. The first time I ever played the trilogy, I immediately started it again with a FemShep, but struggled to complete an ME2 run with her, and never even started ME3. Heck, even now, I'm starting to feel the creeping dread of Mass Effect burnout, and I'm only halfway through ME2.

I have been surprised that some cinematics haven't been cleaned up. I'll often get a shot of a bulkhead instead of a character's face, in the same places I remember them being back on PS3. I think BioWare put all the effort into ME1 (because it needed it). ME2 feels more like a good port.

Wonder how others are getting on with their playthroughs...?

Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@RogerRoger Well, I just beat 3. The finale is still a rush job and there's loads of stuff that isn't properly explained but whatever. It's a fun ride. Strange thing happened though... I didn't get the breathe scene at the end despite doing everything in the game. Can't remember if I was supposed to do something else, it glitched, or if they removed it in this version for some reason. It's fine though, I just pretended it happened 😎

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Odd... you chose the red Destroy ending, yes? Because that's the only one which triggers the breath. You also need an Effective Military Strength of 4,000 or more.

Maybe they've removed it because they've got different plans for Mass Effect 4 now?

Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

Ive been playing ME as much as I can all week and I’m on the bit with the plant with the mind control powers. I guess I have a ways to go?! 😂

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

ApostateMage

I've just finished ME2 with no casualties. I saved Tali's loyalty mission to do immediately after getting the IFF and took Legion for some amusing reactions. Loved hearing Claudia Black call it a wonderful machine.

ApostateMage

johncalmc

@RogerRoger Yeah I did, and I can't remember what my EMS was but I think it was way higher than that. I did basically everything, plus had good stuff from the previous 2 games. It was enough to get the trophy for collecting most of the assets anyway. So I'm not sure why it happened.

johncalmc

Twitter:

ApostateMage

The far too much auto dialogue is killing my enjoyment for ME3 yet again. I reckon there's more dialogue choices in the first 30 minutes of ME1 than the entirety of ME3. It wouldn't bother me as much if it was a standalone game but the fact that the dialogue wheel is brought up every time Shep speaks in the previous two games just makes it more obviously frustrating. Grrr.

ApostateMage

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 Depends what order you've been doing things in. That planet you mention is Feros; did you already go to Virmire, or is that your next destination? Regardless, and at best guess, you're a little over halfway. If you do everywhere else before Virmire, the story can suddenly accelerate if you're not careful, so be sure to keep your map tidy between the big story chunks!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@ApostateMage Do you have time for two missions after getting the IFF, then? I've held back on Tali's loyalty mission because, like you, I wanna take Legion for trolling purposes. I've never done that before, because I always went to rescue my kidnapped crew immediately. Since there's also Legion's loyalty mission to consider, and I've pretty much done everything else in my Journal and Assignments already, save the post-story DLC, I don't wanna risk losing anybody! God, I hate how stressful this game gets.

@johncalmc Hmm, strange. It's the same ending I'll be (eventually) going for, so I'll let you know if I get to see it or not. By then, more people might've finished and noticed whether it's a deliberate removal.

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

Blimey I'm well behind everyone here. Just finished ME1 and got my first Mass Effect platinum (if I don't count Andromeda). I love how I they've tweaked the trophies. There were definitely some bits I don't recall seeing/doing before, some of it minor things based off picking a different back-story for Shepard I must not have picked before (Space-born/ Sole Survivor). I thought for a minute I had got a different ending I'd never seen before my paragon powers made Saren shoot himself and I was certain I always fought him but then of course you fight his possessed corpse so maybe not.
It felt like there were less unique conversations than I recall, Garrus ran out of things to talk about long before the end and just kept thanking me.
Does everyone else have a hand-me-down system for the best gear/weapons in the game? Mine pretty much went the same order as the lockers fortunately so Liara got first option on all stuff I no longer needed and Ashley got the dregs. Still I look forward to not having to bother with that sort of stuff going forward.

Time for my Paragon Jyn Shepard to move on to ME2 and see if it's still the best.
Untitled

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

ApostateMage

@RogerRoger I think you can make 2 FTL jumps after getting the IFF. I immediately talked to Legion, jumped to do Tali's loyalty, talked to Legion again to get its loyalty mission then jumped to do that.
It's funny watching Tali deny sending back live geth whilst stood next to a live geth.

ApostateMage

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Oh, wow! You must've been practically pure Paragon by the end, because I think that's the only way you can get Saren to shoot himself; since I was 70/30, I didn't get that option, and had to battle him off of his floating platform thingie (a repeat of the Virmire boss) before the final reanimated fight.

Garrus does run out of new dialogue quite early on. I think it's because he has that little precursor to the sequel's loyalty missions. I did that assignment as soon as he offered it to me, after two or three conversations, and it locked him into that neverending cycle of thanks. By contrast, Kaidan never gave me an assignment, but did keep giving me new backstory dialogue on my fourth or fifth chat with him. As for your armour and gear system, that sounds quite methodical. I'm a habitual Omni-Gel converter, so I'd just give my current squadmates whatever fit them best, and then cleared out the rest. It meant Ashley never got anything good, because I never took her anywhere!

To answer your armour question from the screencap topic, I found a Level VII version of the N7 armour somewhere around the middle of the game. I wanna say it was on Feros, maybe? But I was playing on casual difficulty anyway, so I could've kept my starting set regardless. I was the same with all my weapons, which I managed to make match; aesthetics trumped stats (especially with a Photo Mode added to the game, otherwise I might not have bothered as much).

Untitled

Congratulations on your platinum, and best of luck with Jyn going forward!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@ApostateMage That's really helpful, thank you. I'll do exactly that (because all the top replies on Google are from when the game first came out, and everybody's really unsure of the limit; apparently the IFF gets installed immediately if you've got a clear Journal, which can lock out Legion's loyalty mission).

@Arugula Um, well... she is a cyborg, isn't she?

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger That’s the one thing I never liked about the paragon/renegade system in that you have to go all in on paragon if you want to play that way otherwise options like that and, particularly resolving team mate conflicts in ME2, still aren’t possible.

I think in all but one of my old ME2 play throughs I ended up messing around after the IFF part and losing Kelly. Ironically, the only time I went through it quickly was on my renegade run.

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic