Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 921 to 940 of 2,198

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Yeah, true, hobbies are really important. I went back to songwriting today, building up themes for an album. I don't know where I stand on games now! There are some I'm interested in like Elden Ring but besides Dark Souls not much has held my attention recently. Death Stranding is on pause.

N.B As a budding game design hobbyist, I can still use this forum for research purposes when I'm not playing.
How's the piano going, ivory-tinkling man?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett With regard to limited edition purchases, try Googling 'Opal Tapes' it's a small-label producing esoterica, decent stuff on cassette.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ve never really been a massive fan of that kinda Americana sound as it’s hard to stay engaged for a whole album but it’s pretty good music to study to. I have, however, seem to have missed that Black Dresses have made a comeback as of two days ago so I’ll be listening to that on repeat!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman piano’s going well. I’m actually starting to teach my daughter. Hoping to record sometime over the next two weeks. What aspect of game design interests you the most?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

ShaiHulud

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hi! Yeah, work has been busy so haven't been frequenting this forum a lot but stuck to the main page mainly. I did listen to Mayhem again and noticed I completely forgot the silly vocals which I can't stand anymore Not that familiar with the band Elder, I don't listen to a lot of stoner but will give them a go. How are you doing?

Sic semper tyrannis

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud They are more prog rock than stoner metal, if anything, still, a nice chill vibe to their music so I can see why that label gets attached to them. Yeah not bad thanks, it's a repeat of Late Junction tonight so although I will be listening I won't be tempted to order any more albums, I have also been playing Uncharted 4 - See What Games Are You Currently Playing Thread. What bands have you been listening to recently?

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Oooh, I love Elder. Especially Reflections of a Floating World. If you like that, are you familliar with Weedpecker? Similar vibe, a bit more psychedelic maybe.

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I don't really like the name, like Dopesmoker I wouldn't really listen to bands with those kind of names. Reflections Of A Floating World is a great album, though.

Voltan

They were more of a stoner band earlier, hence the name. Do me a favor and at least check it out, it's good stuff (and they're from my home town, lol)

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Alright I'll have a listen and let you know. @nessisonett What have you been listening to lately? @Th3solution And you? Still on your classic rock journey/doo-wop hunt? Frank Zappa was a big fan of doo-wop and I believe his early albums feature it quite prominently, although I haven't listened to much of them myself - more of a 70s Zappa fan.

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud Did you listen to those Zappa albums that I and someone else on here recommended? What did you think of One Size Fits All?

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Not bad, I still don't like the name but very cool chilled out vibes.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Built To Spill’s Keep It Like A Secret has finally come onto Spotify so it’s been great listening to that. I saw them perform the album live for the 20th anniversary a couple of years back and they were amazing. I’ve also listened to Transatlantic by Death Cab For Cutie, which was way better than I really expected. Early 00s emo has a bad rep which it doesn’t really deserve. Actual emos don’t listen to emo music so it’s not even linked.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Funeral For A Friend type stuff? I love Juneau. What sort of music do actual emos listen to? Just out of interest.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Well ‘emos’ in my experience traditionally listen to either pop-punk like Fall Out Boy or they listen to fairly rubbish metal like Cannibal Corpse. There’s also the newer emos that listen to mumble rap like Lil Peep. All of that music is a far cry from Midwest Emo like American Football, Sunny Day Real Estate and Cap’n Jazz. I guess some post hardcore bands are pretty similar like At The Drive In too.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah I can see that, I used to really enjoy listening to Sunny Day Real Estate back in the day. On an unrelated note, what do you make of the band Baroness? If you've heard them, if not you should listen to them, they remind me of the band Isis for some reason.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Funeral For a Friend is one of my all time favourite bands. ‘Welcome Home Armageddon’ is a “bring one album to a deserted island” contender for me.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I like Baroness quite a bit, especially ‘Gold and Grey’. I’ve never heard Isis. I’ll check them out.

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Cool, I prefer Baroness' earlier material personally, i love the artwork on their albums though.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic