Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 861 to 880 of 2,197

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Congratulations, both for getting to the top of the Reddit thread, and for creating such a musical masterpiece! Very nicely done, buddy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Where are you in the albums list now? How are you finding them so far? I'll just chuck these three in as well: Bill Frisell - Silent Comedy (his only leftfield pure experimental album, since you enjoyed Late Junction so much) and two contemporary records both featuring Jeff Parker. Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings and Jeff Parker - Suite for Max Brown.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Thrillho

@themcnoisy Top work again sir and congrats on your redditing!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’m going a little slower through the list as I’m on some days off and days off are all about the family 😊 with that said, I’m on to Bill Frisell 👍

I feel like I’m starting to get a head for Jazz. It’s less about the big picture and more about the moments. It’s impulsive and raw. Beyond that, it’s like there’s these messy, organic experiments between musicians where everyone kind of shares these moments of testing the waters, if you will. Like writing a book together without saying a word.

Then, a brief explosion of creative sync where the patient process of feeling each other’s emotions and motifs develop into a tightly knitted yet unrehearsed musical medley of mad genius. When invested, these payoffs are just beautiful.

Anyway, I’m still enjoying my journey and I appreciate your willingness to supply the itinerary. It’s been fun!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman oh, and White Fang is a clear current favourite!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

themcnoisy

@Jimmer-jammer Wow cool. It's weird actually that was the last bit of the track so glad I threw the pitch down at the last second and then it kicks in again! Tell your kids they have heard an upcoming young* talented* producer who will make it* big one day.

*Old *lacklustre *my PS5 collection

@Gremio108 cheers Grem. Took a while but it was worth it in the end!

@RogerRoger thanks Rog. I may try to make a PushSquare tune next just for us all bro!

@Thrillho yes buddy, thanks. It got 239 upvotes and 3 awards! The video has 413 views and my mum hasn't even watched it yet! Small success but that has been my target over the last 6 months.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I will just advise a word of caution about Nashville by Frisell as that's quite a country-influenced jazz album, it's great, but if you don't like country you may not enjoy it. (I think I saw you say something with regard to country music on here once)

In other words - skip that album if you don't like country, and glad you are enjoying the rest of the list.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

ShaiHulud

@TheBrandedSwordsman I actually enjoy a few songs from Load, it's a lot more entertaining than say St. Anger or their latest few which for some reason I just can't get into. As for Katatonia, Brave Murder Day is one of my favourites by them. Excellent atmosphere throughout. Shame Akerfeldt doesn't produce anything worthwhile anymore, but his contributions to both Katatonia and Bloodbath have been excellent. Don't eat the yellow snow!

Sic semper tyrannis

Voltan

Picked up the new Steven Wilson album on red vinyl. It probably won't be my favorite but it's still pretty good

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud Sound mini-review of Brave Murder Day, my friend, and I liked the Zappa reference, I don't have that one ,actually, I was playing One Size Fits All on my vinyl player. Do you like much Zappa then? I am a fan of his 70s albums in particular. You didn't rate the latest Opeth album then? Too much prog rock and not enough metal for you?

HallowMoonshadow

Not quite my thing personally @themcnoisy but an impressive feat none the less and a well made track! Well done!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

ShaiHulud

@TheBrandedSwordsman I'm actually not that familiar with Zappa to be honest, but that's the one song I do remember for obvious reasons! I listen to a lot of prog rock actually (quite enjoying the new Steven Wilson at the moment) so that's not the issue with the latest four Opeth albums (I also adore their acoustic album Damnation) - but they sound like a completely different band to my ears nowadays. Instead of the brilliantly structured unique progmetal records of before they're creating aimlessly fiddling copies of 70s progrock nowadays.

Sic semper tyrannis

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud Then One Size Fits All is definitely for you, it's prog rock with a Zappa twist, if you listen to it then be sure to let me know what you think. Yeah, regarding Opeth, but, surely, if you like 70s prog rock it can't be a bad thing?

themcnoisy

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy cheers foxy! I'm gonna make a PushSquare tune next!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

ShaiHulud

@TheBrandedSwordsman Will give that a go then! I do like 70s prog rock, it's just that I don't like bad 70s prog rock

Sic semper tyrannis

Shigurui

@ShaiHulud - If you're looking for a good intro to Zappa, the 'You Are What You Is' album is a great start point. It's early 80's but has all the Zappa hallmarks from his earlier stuff. A solid album to get into his amazing catalogue of work.

Honkai Star Rail UID: 714980866 (EU Server)

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud Excellent - let me know what you think, furious guitar soloing on that album, and great drumming!

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer What album(s) are you onto now? How far have you made it through the list?

Black_Swordsman

@ShaiHulud What's your opinion of Mastodon? Are they really the new Metallica as a lot of people believe? They are pretty much my favourite band, mainly for the guitar playing ,personality, charisma and southern charm of Brent Hinds.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic