Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yes, I was more partial to Eruption myself, and Women And Children First is an excellent album.
What do you reckon about the music of Butcher Brown? I quite like Live At Vagabond myself. They released a new album recently too, #KingButch, which is top notch. Try them out sometime if you like 70s infused jazz funk.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I don’t mind a bit of funk so I’ll probably check that out. Since I’ve been mostly studying, I’ve been trying to find relaxing music to get me in the mood so last week it was 90s IDM/house and this week it seems to be piano classical so I’m working my way through the ubiquitous readings of works like Satie’s Trois Gymnopédies. I do love a bit of Satie.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett If it's relaxing music then Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds, Penguin Cafe all do the job for me. All good modern classical artists.

I love the Tiny Desk session from the latter;

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Can you recommend any good avant-garde jazz outside of Coltrane & Sanders' work?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Well Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is the obvious choice but I assume you’ve listened to that. Other than that, maybe some Herbie Hancock? Sextant is pretty out there from what I remember. Maybe The Shape Of Jazz To Come by Ornette Coleman as well.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Sextant looks intriguing! I'll be sure to listen to that. How's your IDM/electronica/classical music listening going? Any new discoveries?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I really liked Pop by GAS which is a kinda ambient take on IDM and I also was listening to Aphex Twin’s ambient stuff so I’ve mostly been listening to chill music recently.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Now this is an interesting question. Would you ever commit solely to one specific type of music as you got older in your life? I made a commitment to jazz and have only had minor relapses, going back to rock music, but I've been listening to it almost exclusively for the last seven years.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic No chance, my taste in music is all over the place and I don’t feel strongly enough about a specific style to really commit myself to!

Kidfried

@Draco_V_Ecliptic If you're into jazz, than may I ask if you know Onyx Collective. It's contemporary, and pretty good.

Kidfried

Black_Swordsman

@Kidfried I'm not familiar with them. Which would be a good album to start with, based on your recommendation?

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I'm familiar with Aphex's ambient work, really thought-provoking and insightful, wouldn't you say? Have you heard Carl Craig's More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art? That's meant to be a corker as well.

Also, in your neck of the woods you must all be familiar with Errors? I've seen them live and they were spectacular. Ever met them, bumped into them or seen them around?

Thrillho

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I loved Errors’ first album but didn’t think much of their second. I didn’t listen to them for ages but their latter albums are really good too.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah, I saw them open for Mogwai quite a few years ago now. They really aren’t bad at all!

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I got Oliver Coates' Skins N Slime in the mail today. It's fantastic, hard to describe but worth checking out if you have the time. It's a collection of weirdly beautiful musical pieces ('songs' if you will).

mcdreamer

New Autechre album SIGN is out today. Currently on my second listen and still not sure what I think. Some great tracks for sure and a more digestible length than their output from the last few years.

mcdreamer

nessisonett

@mcdreamer Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it too. It’s certainly more of an actual album than the gargantuan sessions of the last few years but I’ve found slightly less to actually love about it. Not quite as good as the NTS Sessions in my eyes anyway.

mcdreamer

@nessisonett The funny thing is I'd been looking forward to something a bit shorter but I think it's ended up being a case of "be careful what you wish for". My overall feeling is that they've played it a bit safe, at least comparatively speaking. The opening track though is absolutely great.

I never really managed to crack the NTS Sessions but I must give them another try. For the release before that elseq 4 was by far my favourite. I've also been listening to a lot of Untilted and Amber in anticipation of SIGN.

mcdreamer

nessisonett

@mcdreamer I think my favourite Autechre album is probably Tri Repetae. I’ve never really been into them as much as Boards of Canada or Aphex Twin but they’ve produced some brilliant tracks in their time.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic