Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 2,198

render

@Thrillho I saw Penguin Cafe a few years back when they played Birmingham Town Hall. It was amazing to see them play live and made me appreciate how tight they play together and how deeply layered their music is. I've not seen Rival Consoles live before so that will be first but love his music. I'm hoping my wife enjoys the evening as much as I do now.

@johncalmc @nessisonett You are making me want to listen to it just to see how bad it really is, I mean it can't be as bad as all that surely!

render

johncalmc

@render It starts with a song that rips off The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson, in the middle is a rotten new wave monster stomper that rips off the spoken word bit from Thriller, and then it ends with a song called "We are F***ing F***ed" which sounds like it's going to be a riot based on the name alone but it's actually just a pretty bog standard rock song about climate change or something with some naughty words in.

johncalmc

Twitter:

render

@ThereThere Offensively bad - that is bad then šŸ˜¬

@johncalmc Sounds like it's even worse than a best of Eurovision album would be!

Edited on by render

render

nessisonett

Guitar Hero mods have gotten too good šŸ˜‚

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

Absolutely gutted about Pharaoh Sanders passing away. I know he was old but he proved only last year with Promises that he still had so much to give. Easily one of the greatest tenor saxophonists of all time.

EdwardElric

@AgentCooper It is the definition of Ford truck commercial music.

FMA is the best anime ever made. Don't @ me especially if you like SAO more.

ralphdibny

Been listening to Queen a lot lately. I'm really obsessed with the song "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy" for some reason. I just really like the swing of the hook.

See ya!

nessisonett

Had a listen to the new Dolby Atmos mix of Revolver and itā€™s bloody impressive. Iā€™d always thought it was impossible for them to attempt Revolver but apparently the AI they developed for Get Back made it possible to isolate each instrument in the mix.

nessisonett

@JudgeDredd Oh man, I love that style of Japanese jazz fusion, I bought my older brother Masayoshi Takanakaā€™s An Insatiable High for last Christmas which is one of the best albums in that style. Apparently thatā€™s the sort of music they used when they showed F1 in Japan which is why the Mario Kart 8 soundtrack sounds like it!

cheetahman91

Just finished listening to Texas Gold (1975) by Asleep at the Wheel. Great album with a nice mix of covers and original material. This is also before they started relying heavily on Bob Wills covers (only 2 here).

Highlights:

The Letter that Johnny Walker Read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnLbUaNEXc&list=OLAK5uy_...

Fat Boy Rag (instrumental): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgjPA2ZD3uY&list=OLAK5uy_...

Bump Bounce Boogie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8MpRWtNJ9g&list=OLAK5uy_...

Runnin' After Fools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6beHW9mUQ&list=OLAK5uy_...

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

render

I was lucky enough to see Penguin Cafe and Rival Consoles live last weekend. It reminded me why I love these acts so much but also the reason live music is so good. There were a few smaller acts that supported too and even though they didn't make as much of an impression on me it was still great to see people putting themselves out there doing something different than the mainstream.

render

Thrillho

@render Those Erased Tapes shows sounded amazing and a wonderfully eclectic representation of what the label is about. Did you go to the one at the Warwick Arts Centre?

The new Rival Consoles album is great though. From an electronic music POV, I just picked up the new George FitzGerald album which I have high hopes for after hearing the first single which is a collab with Panda Bear from Animal Collective.

I was supposed to be going up to Bristol this afternoon to see Martha play but canā€™t really justify the 4hr round trip and leave the wife with the baby for most of the day. Gutted as Iā€™ve wanted to see them for years and their new album is ace. This is one of my favourite tracks this year; they do melancholic lyrics to upbeat pop punk better than anyone!

Thrillho

render

@Thrillho Yes was the Warwick Arts Centre gig. Iā€™ve not been there before but it was a really good venue. Great sound in the room and just the right size for that more intimate atmosphere.

Have to agree that Rival Consoles new album is a banger. He was great on stage as well. You wouldnā€™t think one man with some synths would make that entertaining a live set but it works. The lighting guys really worked their magic with some dry ice thrown in and it set the music off perfectly.

Unfortunately we had to leave before heā€™d finished his set as we had to get back so the grandparents could stand down. Just leaving the room and Robert Raths, whoā€™d been introducing the acts all evening, got up at the same time to go and man the merch stand. I felt like saying itā€™s because weā€™ve got to get back for the kids so he didnā€™t get the wrong idea šŸ˜‚

Unlucky about not getting to see Martha today, hopefully youā€™ll get to see them another time. Iā€™ve had a few of those were I didnā€™t want to ditch the family but occasionally I will and just feel guilty about if afterwards. Havenā€™t heard of George FitzGerald though but had a listen and it sounds great. Will check out some more šŸ‘

render

Thrillho

@render I grew up in Coventry so it was unexpected to see such an eclectic lineup play there

Itā€™s been a good couple of months for electronic artists I like though with Daniel Avery releasing a great new album too.

It was always optimistic to make the show today but they even did an afternoon matinee show which I went for. Itā€™s gutting because an afternoon show at a weekend is as good as it would get for me but alas. Doubly gutting that an Australian punk band I love (Press Club) also played recently but I couldnā€™t make that either.

Thrillho

render

@Thrillho Funnily enough Robert Raths was saying at the start of the gig that they decided to start going to smaller places just to take the music to people who wouldnā€™t travel to the big cities. He said they went to Wakefield last time round and that was a bit of an eye opener as they struggled to find even somewhere to eat late on.

In my home town back in the 60s and 70s we had massive acts playing at the county show ground. Seeing bands like the Rolling Stones was fairly commonplace according to my Dad but itā€™s too small a town to see anything like that around here any more.

Love a bit of Daniel Avery too and would like to see him live at some point. I donā€™t often get the chance to get to many gigs either these days. If I could take the kids that would solve the situation but even though my daughter would be ok with some things my son is too young to sit still for that long. That and you never know when someone is going to drop an F bomb it something. Hopefully when they are old enough they will still like some of the things I do but Iā€™m not holding out any hope of that šŸ˜…

render

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Long time no speak. How are yourself and the kids? Did you get a chance to listen to The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady yet? If so, what were your thoughts?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hey there! Been too long. No I havenā€™t had a chance to do much of anything for the last few months outside of just managing life. Between multiple projects coming to a head simultaneously, sickness, work and the general busyness that comes with a big family, I just havenā€™t had time for much. I managed to complete God of War Ragnarok but that was an exception. I was actually just thinking I should have tagged you as I know that was one that you were looking forward to. Thanks for the reminder, Iā€™ll try and check them out! Hope youā€™re keeping well.

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Glad to hear back from you and congratulations on beating Ragnarok. FYI The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is an album rather than a band, it's by Charles Mingus - Let me know what you think!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Thanks for the congratulations and as for the album, Iā€™ll let you know!

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

Little Simzā€™ new album came out today and while Iā€™m not sure it quite hits the heights of last yearā€™s masterpiece, itā€™s still a great album and sheā€™s proven that she can deliver real quality with a relatively short turnaround. Sheā€™s definitely one of the few shining lights to come out of the UK music scene in recent years and feels like sheā€™s still making the music she actually wants to make.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic