Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,681 to 1,700 of 2,197

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ve caught some of his shows over the past month or so but haven’t had chance to listen avidly. Really enjoyed when I have listened though so it’ll be interesting to see what he goes onto next. It’s almost a shame they don’t find him something similar to Jules Holland’s TV show as I think he’d be a good fit for something like that.

Been good to listen to everyone’s recommendations on this thread lately like Spoon, Sco, Smashing Pumpkins etc. Also got into the new Low Roar album - maybe tomorrow...

and Glassforms by Bruce Brubaker and Max Cooper...

render

Voltan

"Objectively", this is absolutely terrible music - but it's terrible music done right lmao

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

LtSarge

Maybe not the right place for it, but I wanted to highlight some of my favourite composers ever in movies/TV shows/games. First, I absolutely love Steve Jablonsky. I first encountered his music when I watched Transformers in the cinema as a kid:

Then the next time I encountered Jablonsky's work, it was in Gears of War 3:

You can really notice the similarities in the tracks, both have such an epic feel to them.

The next composer I really like is Ramin Djawadi. I first stumbled upon his work when watching Prison Break, again as a kid:

Since then, I haven't really heard much from him until I started watching Game of Thrones:

And apparently, he also composed the music for Westworld, which I've yet to hear since I haven't watched the show yet. But yeah, these two are definitely my two favourite composers in media overall.

LtSarge

nessisonett

@LtSarge Steve Jabkonsky I mostly know from doing the Sims 3 soundtrack 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LtSarge

@nessisonett Definitely did not think he had composed the music for that type of game, lol. I can just imagine Arrival to Earth playing as one of the sims gets up from bed to go to the bathroom. Unnecessarily epic, lol.

LtSarge

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer What do you reckon of this? English rock band 'Killing Joke' 's second self-titled album from 2003, with Dave Grohl on drums. I was aware of the single as a teenager when it was all over the rock music channels, but just discovered the actual album last night. You may also be familiar with their single 'Love like Blood' from the 80s, I think that receives regular radio play.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman It’s interesting Dave Grohl playing drums for them when Come As You Are was involved in a dispute for ripping off Killing Joke’s Eighties! But then both those songs also feature an extremely similar riff to The Damned’s Life Goes On…

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett That is interesting, yeah, I didn't know about that, I presume it was all water under the bridge when Grohl came to play drums for them.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman the video is unavailable for me for some reason but I definitely know ‘Love Like Blood”. Not a bad song. Never been a huge fan of them or anything but I also haven’t really delved into their catalogue. I had no idea Dave Grohl even had anything to do with them. I’ll check out the album. Speaking of interesting collaborations, one of my favourite bands, Billy Talent, just released a song with Rivers Cuomo of Weezer from their upcoming record. It’s pretty cool.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I checked it out, really like the music video - it's amusing, (the images on the screen), really like Rivers' singing on this one, I was listening to Weezer's Maladroit on vinyl the other day, which I am proud enough to say I own. What do you think of that album? Let me know what you think of the Killing Joke record as well.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman listening to it right now…I really like Maladroit. There’s really not much from Weezer that I haven’t enjoyed on some level. It’s probably not a popular opinion but ‘Make Believe’ is still my favourite of theirs. I can listen to that album any time, any mood, and it’s always good. Billy Talent has always had fantastic album art/general art direction. Not meaning to overdo it, but this is a really cool music video from their ‘Dead Silence’ days.

Edit: violence warning

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman gave Killing Joke a listen. Not at all what I was expecting (not really sure what I was expecting but it wasn’t that) but actually a really good album. Asteroid is probably my favourite. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jimmer-jammer

@Keith_Zissou did a quick search and yes it looks like Andy Gill produced it.

Black_Swordsman

@Keith_Zissou Andy Gill also created "guitar feedback" on the album - Where do you stand on it (the record) yourself?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Black_Swordsman

@Keith_Zissou Good choice with Surprise Chef, I heard them on 6music, Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone a year or so ago, got really into them myself, Australian aren't they? Do you ever listen to the Freak Zone yourself?

Black_Swordsman

@Keith_Zissou There is no guest at the moment as far as I am aware. Guy Garvey has his own show 'Guy Garvey's Finest Hour' in a regular slot on Sunday afternoons. I'll have to listen to War and the Meters and get back to you with a review. Glad to hear your a fellow Freak Zone enthusiast - it's a great show!

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Black_Swordsman

@Keith_Zissou I am currently listening to Good Old Funky Music by the Meters, not bad stuff but not my usual sort of thing, I am more of a jazz head nowadays, I searched Youtube for War and it came up with Low rider, I am already very familiar with that song. KoRn covered it, did they not? Do you like any straight-ahead jazz guitar stuff like Pat Metheny and John Scofield, more traditional jazz like early John Coltrane and Miles Davis, or any wilder more experimental music rooted in jazz and rock like Allan Holdsworth? (Legendary guitarist, probably the best guitarist there has ever been)

That's the first track on an album that features him on a few songs, last recorded material he produced before his untimely demise, you might have to go through the playlist to get to the songs with him playing guitar on that album, which I bought recently, or just search Youtube for Allan Holdsworth songs if you want to get straight to his guitar playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic