Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 2,197

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman @Voltan I’m no Spoon expert, and every one of their albums really does do something a little different while still being great, but as a starting point, if your looking for something:
balanced - They Want My Soul
raw - Transference
pop/rocky - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
sonicly layered - Hot Thoughts
Any of those are pretty good jumping off points from the top of my head depending on mood. Also, nice post of Snarky Puppy!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Listening to Transference now - I guess the main guy does a lot of acoustic guitar-related stuff? Kinda reminds me of Dwight Yoakam, completely different-sounding guy, but also similar in a sense, simply because they are both acoustic guitar singer-songwriters who play with a band on their albums, although all Dwight's albums are credited to Dwight rather than to a band. Saying all that, though ,I am only assuming that the Spoon singer is also the acoustic guitarist in the band? Just a wild guess, off the top of my head, but I am assuming that I am right, right?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman not only is he the guitarist, but I believe the main songwriter as well. Daniel and Eno (drums) have been the only two consistent members throughout the band’s lifetime. One of the things I appreciate is how, even when plugged in, Daniel never loses the percussive qualities of an acoustic guitar and is in fact a defining quality of their sound for me.

Edited on by Jimmer-jammer

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Kidfried

I should be listening to more Spoon...

Kidfried

Jimmer-jammer

@Kidfried I thought the same thing, I’m on day two of what has become a spoon kick 😊

nessisonett

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic turned 50 yesterday. Crazy that it’s so old but it’s truly a classic.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman Ha, nice. It’s the kind of thing I like but I’m not sure about their lyrics so much.. particularly in that first track!

Thrillho

nessisonett

Just discovered that Scooter did a cover version of Sex Dwarf by Soft Cell. Think my life’s complete now.

nessisonett

Jeez, horrible to see Biz Markie passing away now as well. It’s been a terrible year for rappers, so many big names going.

zupertramp

@nessisonett in as much as rappers are far more "regular people" than their celebrity sports star counterparts*, it's interesting (and saddening) to see what I theorize to be the result of what is known as "weathering" playing out behind these deaths. Which is to say these rappers are likely the most visible representations one will get of this phenomenon where being black is just downright harder on your health. I mean here you have pampered famous people dying before hitting retirement age. It kinda breaks my heart.

Anyway don't mean to start an argument or get too controversial; just seems like this must be at least partially a factor.

*Genetically speaking, which might explain why you don't see black athletes dying at similarly young ages... but come to think of it there's quite a lot of that too.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp There’s probably a lot of truth in that to be honest, a lot of these guys are dying in their 50s from ‘natural causes’. It’s just plain sad to see.

Edited on by nessisonett

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer I imagine you would already have heard of Teenage Fanclub due to their association with Kurt Cobain, but just in case you haven't here is one of their best albums, according to the internet, and I imagine you won't be looking back!

And here's Bon Iver, in case you're unfamiliar, as well.

Let me know what you think!

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Bon Iver I’m somewhat familiar with but I’ve somehow never heard of Teenage Fanclub. I enjoyed that song, thanks!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman what’s the connection to Kurt Cobain?

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman @Jimmer-jammer Hahaha Teenage Fanclub are from about half an hour away from me! The Glasgow C86 scene was really great in the 80s though, a lot of good bands came out of that period.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Before your time from what you've said on here, though. Still, great that you appreciate the music and they're so close to you!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah I’ll check them out. Start with that album and maybe go from there.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic