Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 2,197

Thrillho

Just been listening to the latest “classical focus” playlist on the BBC Sounds app and got proper goosebumps from this.

Thrillho

Thrillho

(PS anyone have any idea why the vids on the forum are coming up as blank screens for me? Cleared my cache and still happening. It’s fine if I use private mode though!)

Thrillho

Voltan

@Thrillho That happens to me as well on my iPhone (Safari, private mode doesn't help) but they're fine on desktop Chrome

Voltan

render

@Thrillho @Voltan It's happening for me as well on both desktop macOS with Safari and iOS. Other browser work fine. Must be something that's changed with Safari, most likely privacy related.

render

render

@Thrillho That's really nice. Have you ever heard anything by Carlos Cipa? He's done some really beautiful tracks but this is one of my favourites...

Also I've just discovered that if you have YouTube open in another tab on desktop Safari then the videos all appear in pushsquare. Weird.

Edited on by render

render

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman It’s nice to see Blue Note still pumping out the music that made their name! Honestly, there’s been a lot of hype around Omega and I haven’t gotten round to listening to it yet. I’ve heard a lot of good things about that album.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Do you think you will listen to it any time soon? It's a great album ,I listened to it this morning, actually.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yeah, probably at some point but I haven’t listened to much jazz recently.

I managed to snag a pre-order of Weatherday’s Come In on tape. I would have went for one of the 500 vinyl copies but my budget’s a bit tight at the moment and I’m just glad I’ll have a physical copy.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Congratulations on getting the album on tape, it's better than not having anything at all, I'm just streaming them on Youtube now, it's quite emotional music, no?

Not the sort of thing I would normally listen to, but I think it's great quality lo-fi rock, and I'm glad I tried them out.

@Jimmer-jammer might like him (Weatherday) as well.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Sputnik, the artist behind Weatherday as a project is non binary and both the ‘male’ and ‘female’ voices on that album are performed by them with zero alteration due to the lo-fi limitations which I thought was honestly pretty impressive in showing their range. I heard of them through the original Reddit posting on the emo subreddit, which ended up blowing up weeks later leading to the album being critically acclaimed despite being an actual indie release as opposed to a lot of ‘indie’ artists who actually have a lot of money and resources behind them. In all honesty, it’s an album that leans into a lot of varied influences that are just right up my street, with emo such as The Brave Little Abacus and Death Cab meeting noise rock bands like Shinsei Kamattechan and even post-punk like The Cure and elements of Queercore at times. I could see it being thought of in the same vein as the original Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest in a few years, I’ve already heard some soundalikes from fellow indie artists so it’s already proving quite influential.

Th3solution

@Kidfried @ralphdibny @RogerRoger (I had a comment to share over on MGS5 and started to hear the promptings of Tasuki whisper in my ear so I moved it over here 😜)
As far as Spotify, I’m a fan of the service and I do share a family sub with a couple family members so it makes good financial sense too. I do more TV and movie streaming than music, but even if I just use it once a week while I’m in the shower, it’s brilliant to have nearly an entire complete library of music at the ready any given moment, all at the touch of the hand. (Well… any given moment that the internet isn’t down). Not to disparage the practice of using and collecting physical media for music; it’s certainly all open to personal preference, but I have had good luck with Spotify, even in my spotty usage patterns. I think it’s delightful to have physical discs and vinyl for collectible reasons as well. I certainly have some. And I have a lot of physical movie discs (MCU and Star Wars for example) that I enjoy having, even if streaming them is easier.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

johncalmc

It's so weird how much I reversed on Spotify. I was totally anti-streaming and all about the physical media. I had a pretty big music collection - roughly 2,500 CDs across many genres and artists and whatever. I had rare ones and ones by artists that barely anyone had ever heard of. Then one day I became sick of having loads of clutter and got rid of practically all of my physical media and now I live entirely online. So it's good for living a more minimalist life but not so good if anybody ever sets off an EMP.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Th3solution

@johncalmc Well, I’m not sure how EMP’s work, but I think the CD player goes down too. Unless you’ve got one that runs on a steam engine or fossil fuels or something.

EMP plans for entertainment:
Playing the guitar by the campfire while roasting supper and having neighborhood impromptu theater.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@johncalmc Danggit, wait… I forgot about those crank-powered record players with the big cone speaker. I guess people’s vinyl collections will skyrocket in value during the apocalypse!

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Oh, for sure, I can definitely see the personal appeal of services like Spotify if you're into a broad cross-section of music and, like you say, just want something random to sing along with in the shower. I have family members who constantly have a radio station playing in the background, no matter what they're doing, and I'll chuckle to myself whenever I hear them complain "Oh, I hate this song!" (before sitting and listening to it in its entirety, in the hopes that whatever the DJ has queued up next will be better) because modern entertainment has become about personal choice and, from what I understand, the algorithms in services like Spotify are pretty good at recognising a user's tastes.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, as far as predictive algorithms Spotify is decent. But I actually discover new things to add to my playlists mostly on my own accord.

It’s great for situations like — when you hear a song on TV or the radio or in a movie and it makes your ears perk up and you want to hear it again. So either using Shazam quickly or asking someone nearby “what’s the name of that song?” and then adding it to a playlist.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic