Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 2,205

Kidfried

@nessisonett You should be my roommate, that's music that I had on in the background a lot for the past year.

This week I listened to newer music mostly: Gaspard Auge, Lucy Dacus and Sault.

Kidfried

ralphdibny

I've been listening to the David Bowie Platinum greatest hits 3 CD album in the car lately. Such a great set! There's a bit of a lull in the middle of disc 2 but disc 1 and 3 and the beginning and end of disc 2 are just brilliant.

I really need to get the platinum collection of Queen as well. I've got all their albums but sometimes you just want to listen to the hits y'know?

See ya!

Black_Swordsman

@ralphdibny Do you have Blackstar as well or is it a similar case to Queen with Bowie (who also collaborated with each other), i.e you "just wanna listen to the hits" ?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

ralphdibny

@TheBrandedSwordsman ah that's the final Bowie album isn't it? I haven't heard it yet. I think I will try and pick up the entire Bowie discography when money is less tight and I am more inclined to do so.

It is a bit of a weird one, I always used to be against these kind of "greatest hits" compilations because I used to like albums because of how they fit together and can occasionally tell a story. Stuff like the first half of Eminem's career, The Streets, Muse, Led Zep, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith etc.

I think as my music listening time has dwindled over the years, that it can be important to listen to more compilations, just for the variety of songs you'd hear on them. I guess it's a bit like listening to the radio without the adverts and conversations about Doris from Wiltshire's cat that hides in a dustbin or whatever other inane thing the presenters go on about 😅.

See ya!

Thrillho

@render Ooh, I missed your post at the top of this page. I'm a big fan of Rival Consoles too but I only have his last two albums (Persona and Articulation) and keep meaning to go more into his back catalogue. He did drop a new track this week though;

Daniel Avery is good too but some of his tracks go a bit too off piste for me.

Thrillho

render

@Thrillho There's plenty of good stuff in his back catalog. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them but other than those ones you mentioned I particularly like the Night Melody and Odyssey albums. That new track is awesome too, thanks for posting.

Have you heard of Brambles before? They make very chilled out music but the Charcoal album is just full of great tracks...

The newest track sounds great too, just the way the piano sounds quite haunting...

render

JohnnyShoulder

Not sure if he totally pulls it off, but interesting all the same.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Mergatro1d

@Kidfried I can't get enough of Sault- some of the best music coming out of the UK at the moment. What do you make of their new album and that it will only be available for 99 days?

Mergatro1d

PSN: mergatro1d

Kidfried

@Mergatro1d I hate that is available for such a short time, because many songs of them take a while of perculating before I can appreciate them fully.

Their new album is great, but I need to listen more to it... and fast!

Kidfried

Mergatro1d

@Kidfried I know what you mean, it didn't hit me as immediately as their previous albums (especially their first, which gave me instant ESG vibes), but it is growing on me with each listen.

Saw another post of yours where you mention getting Aldous Harding tickets. You're in for a treat! She's the last person I saw on stage before lockdown hit- amazing performer.

Mergatro1d

PSN: mergatro1d

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman interesting song! Listening to Spoon’s album, ‘They Want My Soul’, today. I think it’s my favourite of theirs, though each of their albums offer something special for me.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Oh really? How did you first become aware of them? And what is special about them for you?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I don’t remember where I first heard them. I know they’ve been around for some time. What Spoon does so well for me is fun - in their songwriting, in their musicianship - I can feel the passion, the earnestness, the willingness to let the music take them somewhere truly interesting. Combine that with a unique lyrical style and for me they’re just an excellent band.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer They're great, thanks for sharing, can you recommend any specific albums to start with for them? Here's something I've been listening to recently. Let's get @Voltan in on the action as well, What do you think, Volt?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I'm pretty sure I posted Snarky Puppy here before
Absolutely love them and Lingus from this set is the best thing ever.

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic