Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 2,203

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Some of the guitar in that Leprous song is quite Meshuggah-y isn't it? Do you like Meshuggah? From a lot of the stuff you have posted I would imagine that you would love them.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Meshuggah from records - very good but a little fatiguing in the long run, if you know what I mean
Meshuggah live - peak metal, can't get much better than that

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I would love to see them live then, in that case. Would you agree that they have had an influence on a lot of the bands you listen to, though?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer What music have you been listening to lately? Any word on buying that John Scofield collection? 😉

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I haven’t made it back to the store yet for that one but I’ve been thoroughly enjoying Royal Blood’s latest album, ‘Typhoons’. The song writing is just fantastic and, as always with RB, the variety of bass tones is always interesting to me. What have you been listening to?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Ah, Royal Blood, can't say I'm a fan of their stuff but thanks for sharing nonetheless. Mostly John Scofield as per usual, I ordered an album of him playing with John Abercrombie. See below if you're in the mood for some easier listening!

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer the perfect music for a Control playthrough? I think so:

Good luck finding a copy in Canada if you like it, though, I believe they are quite hard to get hold of now, I got a copy on cassette when it first released. 😎

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hey sorry, for some reason I didn't see your mention as it got lost in all my email. I had family visiting over the weekend so was great to see people and get out a bit and totally lost track of my digital life.

Since you mentioned it I've listened to a few Shaun Keavenys and I do like that dry sense of humour of his. I must have last listened to him when he was on in the mornings, so it's been a while but I remember Small Claims Court from before, and that it's about on my level of boasting 😂. Enjoyed the Open Arms segment as well so will definitely try and catch up with that glasto special, thanks for letting me know 👍.

In terms of listening to other stuff it's been mainly at work again so been trying to keep it lyric free. I've mostly been enjoying Rival Consoles...

And Daniel Avery...

What about yourself?

render

Black_Swordsman

@render Yeah I love the Open Arms segment, so yeah, do make sure you catch up with the Glasto special. I've mostly been listening to my man John Scofield (below) I'm a jazz guitarist myself so he is my number 1 inspiration, I try to play somewhat in the vein of his style, with my own unique spin on it. I liked that Rival Consoles song, let me know what you think of this: (instrumental so you can still keep it lyric free if you want to listen to his records at work) and do you like jazz in general?

Kidfried

Bought my first concert ticket in quite a while; it felt gooding spending money on live music again. Aldous Harding it is!

Kidfried

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman I checked out the Glasto special and it was well worth a listen. I particularly enjoyed the story about the dance tent which sort of sums festivals up really 😆

You can definitely write what I know about jazz on the back of a stamp. I do enjoy it but it's something that I've not followed as much as I should. I used to work at a pub many moons ago that ran a jazz club and always opted to work that night as they always managed to come up with some great live acts. Other than that my knowledge is restricted to the more classical sort of stuff like John Coltrane, Miles Davis etc. I enjoyed the John Scofield track so will check him out a bit more, especially if it's stuff I can listen to at work. Also happy to take any other recommendations you've got?

Do you play in a band / have any of your own tracks?

render

Black_Swordsman

@render Happy to recommend some stuff for you, I don't play in a band and I don't have anything that reflects my current ability/style as a guitarist online, but I do play around London at various jazz nights/events from time to time. Here are some recommendations for you to listen to at work (P.S I think the Makaya McCraven album might have some vocals here and there so ignore that one if your at work, but I'm not sure) let me know what you think of them:

Bill Frisell's Good Dog Happy Man

Pat Metheny's Secret Story

And for some more modern stuff:

Makaya McCraven's Universal Beings all in one video

Jeff Parker's The New Breed all in one video again

And lastly here's Nerija who I've seen live

N.B Neither Bill or Pat play in a traditional jazz style very often, Nerija is probably the most traditional jazz item on this list. But Sco has a wide variety of stuff both traditional and non-traditional, so I hope you continue to check him out. This is probably his best album:

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman Cheers for all the recommends. I've been listening all day and really enjoyed what I've heard. I've checked out a few of the full albums on Spotify as well and particularly taken with the sounds of Pat Metheny (even though the picture they've used on his bio makes him look like Bob Mortimer in a very bad wig), and Makaya McCraven.

I'll definitely listen more to all of them 👍

render

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman very suitable for Control! I got some Trent Reznor vibes from it too. Thanks!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

I just pre-ordered the new Leprous album, limited edition white vinyl + t-shirt bundle, directly from the band... Paid way too much but oh well

edit: this absolute banger is on it as well

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett What have you been listening to recently? I've been indulging myself with the limited edition silver vinyl I received today - Spacemen Mystery of the Terror Triangle by The Night Monitor.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman According to my Spotify, I’ve been listening to Wham, Galaxie 500 and Sharon Van Etten recently. Sounds about right.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic