Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

@render Who's your favourite presenter on 6music? I listen to "a ton" of it myself. @nessisonett What do you reckon of the band Death Grips? They were played on 6music earlier and I found them to be pretty interesting. Can you recommend any specific albums by them as their best?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yeah, I do like Death Grips. They’re 1000% the ‘Souls’ of music, in that everyone compares them to everything slightly similar and they seem impenetrable at first. Probably best to start with The Money Store as I’d say it’s their most accessible album. Then just go wild. My favourite of theirs is Crouching Tiger Hidden Gabber Megamix as it’s just a 22 minute cacophony of noise.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Thanks, the 'Souls' of music description certainly makes them appealing, listening to The Money Store on Spotify now, and I think it's great, sadly, although that record's available on vinyl online I can't find the Gabber Megamix album anywhere

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett They remind me a bit of .clipping actually, what do you reckon about that?

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Think Gabber Megamix was a mixtape so there’s probably only a few limited edition copies of it on vinyl.

I guess they’re a bit similar to clipping but harsher and more aggressive.

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman If it’s favourite presenter ever then it would technically be presenters as I’d have to say Adam and Joe (Steven!!!). That was more for the banter than the music though but music wise I do really like the likes of Giles Peterson, Tom Ravenscroft and Marconi’s freak zone. There’s a “ton” of good stuff on there but it’s just a matter of having time to listen to it 😀

render

Black_Swordsman

@render Shaun Keaveny, even though he's leaving in September, I'm quite fond of the 'Open Arms' segment of his show on Fridays. Are you familiar with that?

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman Ah no way didn’t know he was leaving. That’s how out of the loop I am with it. What’s he going on to do? I’m not familiar with that segment though but will try and check it out on catchup as you are recommending it.

render

Black_Swordsman

@render I have no idea, just said he would be back (presumably on TV or radio) in some shape or form. 😀 The Open Arms is a fictional pub where Keaveny "pours" fictional pints for listeners who phone in requesting a "drink" and a song on the fictional jukebox, which Keaveny will then play on the air for them.

render

@TheBrandedSwordsman Sounds interesting, I’ll check it out. I’m going to have to make more time for listening to 6 music again generally as I miss the variety of stuff I used to listen to on there.

render

zupertramp

Not sure why I'm not watching this topic so here goes...

Also hello everyone.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan What have you been listening to recently? I've been listening to some ZZ Top (early) and currently listening to Heartbreaker by Led Zeppelin, fantastic guitar solo in that one.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I've been in the studio for the most part of lat 2 weeks, so honestly I haven't been listening to a lot beyond that. I did check out some new releases on Spotify but nothing that stood out all that much.

Voltan

nessisonett

Really sad to hear about Gift of Gab, one half of Blackalicious dying at 50. Too many of these guys from the late 90s underground rap scene are going pretty young.

Black_Swordsman

@render How are you? What have you been listening to lately? Did you check out Keaveny's Open Arms segment yesterday? I had a drink with them in the fictional pub while I was listening. It was a Glastonbury special yesterday though so he was only serving 'German beer that gives you wind' 'Too sweet cider' and 'Jack and coke' at the remote fictional Glastonbury Open Arms stand.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Just natural causes apparently. It’s crazy though how many have gone in recent years.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah it certainly is a shame under those circumstances, and during the current pandemic we have lost more and more musicians on the whole.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic