Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I'd be curious to know how you write the guitar parts, on keyboard? Can you read and write music? I take it you work on the music on keyboard then write it down in standard notation for the guitarist to transpose to the electric guitar? Seems interesting to me. Do you write the lyrics and vocal melodies too?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Depeche Mode are great. However, did you notice that the lyrics always address the love interest as 'you' so they could be either male or female?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I can read and write music but I’m not great at it. What we do is I record demo versions of the songs using a sampled guitar virtual instrument routed through an amp simulator and it gives everyone a pretty good idea what it’s supposed to be. Then everyone learns it by ear, sometimes giving it a bit of a personal spin. Depending on the person and need, I might write some parts down or export them as MIDI.

Yeah, I do write vocals and lyrics. In fact, while this is the only song on the album written entirely by me, I did write vocal lines and/or lyrics for a few others - and it’s pretty much the same with this new one we’re doing.

Also that reminded me - I have a pretty big thing coming out next week, can’t wait to share that 😃

Voltan

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ve never actually noticed that to be honest. I often don’t actually notice lyrics.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Sounds like a really interesting songwriting process man, really looking forward to the big reveal!

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Everyone's process is different and I think that's a really fun thing about music. There is no wrong way to do it.

I know some bands prefer to write stuff by jamming together or generally do all the writing when they come together. Personally I hate that. Having someone stand there and expect me to come up with something in the next X minutes kills most of my creativity. I don't mind collaborating with others, adding my ideas to theirs or vice versa but I need to do it on my own terms. Still, when I actually have an idea for a song, I usually know exactly where I want it to go so in practice I might add my stuff to others' songs but I very rarely let anyone mess with mine, tbh

The thing next week I'm just a guest musician but it's still a pretty big deal to me

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan When I was in bands as a teenager I would either write everything on my own or write with another guitarist, in one of the two main bands I was in, and as I had a great simpatico with that guitarist in terms of song-writing at the time our songs usually turned out pretty well. Only did one gig, but it was ridiculously tight, a stonker!, a friend of ours has the gig footage somewhere, but I'm currently at a loss for how to get in touch with him.

Next week man, I'm really looking forward to it.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman first of all, the video is absolutely wild! Quite the undertaking as well. I like the song! For whatever reason it actually gives me some pretty strong Primus vibes. It really tells a story musically, very cool.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yeah, I’ve heard of him. I’m (distantly) related to one of the guys from the Average White Band so a lot of those musicians were all moving in the same circles back in the day.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

I've heard the name before but I'm not sure I've actually heard the music until today.
Cool stuff by Mammal Hands:

Voltan

Voltan

I thought this was coming tomorrow and it kinda is but there's an exclusive premiere here so I'm posting it early

Here's the first single for a new project I'm involved in: Mirka Rantanen's Circus Of Rock
On this particular song I'm just playing the organ but it's very special to me because it features one of my favorite rock singers of all time - mr. Johnny Gioeli.
Unfortunately, the songwriter behind this one - Ade Manninen (who plays the guitar but doesn't appear in the video) - has passed away a few weeks ago, before he could see the release of the album.

The tricky part of the video is that the main part of the band was filmed by a professional crew in Helsinki, while Johnny recorded his parts in California and I had to work something out here in Warsaw. Ended up buying a new GoPro and a few colored LED lights and I think it turned out quite alright (almost looks like we're in the same room if you're not paying too much attention)

@TheBrandedSwordsman You wanted to check this out!

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Thanks for the tag, that could easily be played on a rock radio station and blend right in, you're clearly all professionals, but, yeah, really impressive stuff Volt, I reckon you could take that stuff on tour quite easily. In fact, is there going to be a tour? Will you come to the UK? If you do I'll try and catch you live unless tickets sell out too quickly. An album like that (based on this single, I'm yet to hear the whole thing) definitely deserves a tour - keep posting and I'll keep listening.

By the way great organ playing and loved Johnny's vocals.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman This was intended as a studio project but you never know. What I do know is there will almost certainly be another album.
The problem with a project like this is that it's basically impossible to have all the musicians involved in one place at one time - there are 13 singers on the album and multiple guitarists, etc - it would have to be scaled down for a tour
I'm also not sure if I would be the keyboardist for a tour if it happened, as it would probably be easier to get someone from Finland, where the core of the band is located (but on the other hand I think I'm the only keyboardist involved in the songwriting on this).

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I see, that's a shame as it would have been great to see/hear this type of music played live. Good, straight-to-the-point authentic hard rock. I am, however, looking forward to the next album already.

Voltan

Fun fact: Johnny Gioeli is a member of Crush40 who recorded music for some Sonic The Hedgehog games

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan awesome stuff, man!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic