Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

Here's Glassjaw's most recent album from after their reunion, for anyone who's not heard them or is interested in hardcore music in general.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan have you or anyone else noticed how hardcore music has weird and obscure song and album titles? Like the first track on the album I just posted above 'new white extremity' and Misery Signals 'Of Malice and the Magnum Heart' (what is a 'Magnum Heart' or a new white extremity for example) then there's Botch with titles like St. Matthew Returns to the Womb and Swimming the Channel/Driving the chunnel. What is it all about and where does it come from? I'd love to know

N.B as a metalhead primarily you probably don't like hardcore? But I try to listen to all kinds of music. Hardcore fans and metalheads have traditionally always been in opposite camps, however you get the odd crossover metalcore band, but I think their audiences are largely comprised of hardcore fans who have become metalcore fans, I believe metalheads look down on the metalcore genre.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman Post rock song/album titles are the weirdest. Whenever I see people comment on an article and capitalise every word, it sounds like it could be a post rock track.

Try It For Yourself And You’ll See What I Mean

I think that was a track off Mogwai’s second album.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Oh man, anything by Godspeed You! Black Emperor is like that.

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
G_d’s Pee AT STATE’S END!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hardcore is not my favorite but I do like a number of post-hc bands like Protest The Hero for example (link below).
The thing about metalheads is that a lot of them tend to be very conservative and closed-minded, considering any shred of actual creativity some kind of betrayal of their values or whatever. If it doesn’t sound exactly like their favorite thing from the 90s or earlier, it’s not “true”. Now metalcore bands aren’t exactly known for being super creative (and I’m not a huge fan myself) but fusing metal and a genre originating in punk music is the worst kind of offense, apparently 😉
Unfortunately this always comes with similar traits like sexism, homophobia and toxic gatekeeping.
Personally I’m in a weird spot where I really like classic metal but I also know it in and out so well that I barely want to listen to it anymore and I don’t find new stuff (that follows that classic style) exciting unless it’s crazy good (that still happens sometimes).
And as for metalcore, it’s usually best for me if they really lean either into the extreme heaviness or the technical side of things.

Some Protest The Hero:

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Thanks for sharing that, I think I've heard them before, decent stuff.

Black_Swordsman

Any Steely Dan fans on Push Square? Where do you guys stand on the 'Dan?

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho You seem quite well-versed in music, with a decent stock of knowledge. 'Cause you know about funk and whatnot from listening to Craig Charles and Huey Morgan on Radio 6 Music but you also know about post-rock and Mogwai? Not that they don't play them on 6 Music, they usually just aren't played by those presenters. Well I suppose if you listen to Mary Anne Hobbes as well, you're gonna know about them. Does most of your musical education come from 6 Music then?

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman Punk rock and post rock are my genres of choice really but I like to listen to different stuff, I just struggle to find new music as easily as I used to. I get weekly newsletters from Banquet and Drift Records and have a quick listen to their recommended new listens.

6music plays a part too and I have found some artists through them; the ambient and classic focus playlists on the Sounds app are great too.

I tend to listen to stuff from my own library more though and over the last year I've made myself listen to older albums I own by going through my iTunes and loading five different albums a week onto my phone by going through alphabetically and picking out album I've not listened to in over 12 months. It's been a fun way to rediscover albums but also to find albums I didn't think much of but quite like now.

This week I've got albums by Bleachers, The Bouncing Souls, Bon Ever, and Born Ruffians (I normally have five albums but seem to have messed up this week).

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho All I know about The Bouncing Souls is the absolute bop Manthem from the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 soundtrack.

Thrillho

@nessisonett They’re just standard fun pop punk rock. I only have the one album and plenty of Punkorama compilations they’re on. I’m not surprised they’ve been on a Tony Hawk soundtrack.

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman oh boy, one of those songs that reminds me how much of a Neanderthal I am on the guitar...I really like that one! I find the somewhat understated harmony on the second “steal your heart away” of the chorus so powerful. Good stuff, thanks!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

It’s kinda funny that Dadrock is now Dadsynthpop. Duran Duran and Depeche Mode are the new Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. And personally I’m here for it.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman This is my other band that I’m recording with in a month. Unlike the other one where I’m currently the sole songwriter, I’m a little less involved in writing for this one but I did write this song on our last album:

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan super dope, man! Been humming it all day. I’m excited to hear what y’all come up with.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Not bad, I think I prefer the sound of the band where your the sole songwriter though, like the lyrics, though, the accent in the vocals sounds similar to your other project as well so I don't know if it is the same guy?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic