Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,430

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I listened to The Offspring’s Ixnay on the Hombre which was strangely good. Considering my only real knowledge of them was from their big hits, it was a surprise that I enjoyed it that much.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

nomither6

is video game music allowed in this thread ?

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

Voltan

Something for those interested in the more elaborate side of heavy music... or the heavier side of elaborate music

Voltan

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett Yeah early Offspring is meant to be amazing, the early demos I mean, as well as obviously really hard to get hold of - you can only download them really. I was thinking of getting Herbie Hancock's Man-Child album, after hearing a funky cut from it on Jazz FM, is the whole thing decent funk, do you know?

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Have you heard of Foodman? His EP Dokutsu, or at least some songs from that are on Youtube, you should check that out if you like electronic music, tell me what you reckon?

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan Yeah, Dreaming Neon Black is the fans' favourite by them , but personally I prefer the poppier and more accessible Dead Heart In A Dead World, or at least I did, back when i still listened to heavy music. Do you like any Herbie Hancock? I was just telling ness I was listening to him recently.

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman I've been struggling with new stuff recently but I've been listening to AK/DK a lot recently. Terrible band name but I really like their latest album (the only one I have) and it's a good one for running to;

I did pick up the latest Red City Radio (a punk rock band) album this week and the debut album from a band called Squid who I've heard lots of good things about but haven't had chance to listen to the album yet.

For more ambient stuff, Emily A Sprague's album has been a good one to work to and I bought an EP by Lucinda Chua after hearing this track on 6music the other day;

Thrillho

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Thrillho I was listening to quite a bit of Squid myself as they've played them a lot on 6music recently, my favourite is the song from the EP which talks about "racing crazy horses, round my mind" - great lyric. The album sounds great by all accounts and from what I've heard. Who's your favourite presenter on 6?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ll check it out! I definitely have a soft spot for electronic music.

@Voltan They have a distinctive style within their genre. Plus I’m a complete sucker for three chord progressions and pushes, both of which they utilize plenty.

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman I don't mind most of the 6music DJs of the ones I've heard other than Shaun Keaveny (the same segments every time I just find frustrating) and Cerys Matthews show (as it just doesn't appeal to me at all).

The only ones I tend to catch up with are Huey Morgan and Craig Charles as they both play a lot of stuff I like but that I don't tend to listen to much otherwise. Tom Ravencroft I really like and Mary Anne Hobbs has some great sessions which I have luckily caught.

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman very cool! There’s something almost tactile to the sounds in these songs. I envisioned studious little robots going to work inside of a giant computer, retrieving soldering iron arm attachments from their tool kits, repairing and adding to the skyscrapers of silicon towering around them.

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

TheBrandedSwordsman

Here's Glassjaw's most recent album from after their reunion, for anyone who's not heard them or is interested in hardcore music in general.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan have you or anyone else noticed how hardcore music has weird and obscure song and album titles? Like the first track on the album I just posted above 'new white extremity' and Misery Signals 'Of Malice and the Magnum Heart' (what is a 'Magnum Heart' or a new white extremity for example) then there's Botch with titles like St. Matthew Returns to the Womb and Swimming the Channel/Driving the chunnel. What is it all about and where does it come from? I'd love to know

N.B as a metalhead primarily you probably don't like hardcore? But I try to listen to all kinds of music. Hardcore fans and metalheads have traditionally always been in opposite camps, however you get the odd crossover metalcore band, but I think their audiences are largely comprised of hardcore fans who have become metalcore fans, I believe metalheads look down on the metalcore genre.

Edited on by TheBrandedSwordsman

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman Post rock song/album titles are the weirdest. Whenever I see people comment on an article and capitalise every word, it sounds like it could be a post rock track.

Try It For Yourself And You’ll See What I Mean

I think that was a track off Mogwai’s second album.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Oh man, anything by Godspeed You! Black Emperor is like that.

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
G_d’s Pee AT STATE’S END!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Hardcore is not my favorite but I do like a number of post-hc bands like Protest The Hero for example (link below).
The thing about metalheads is that a lot of them tend to be very conservative and closed-minded, considering any shred of actual creativity some kind of betrayal of their values or whatever. If it doesn’t sound exactly like their favorite thing from the 90s or earlier, it’s not “true”. Now metalcore bands aren’t exactly known for being super creative (and I’m not a huge fan myself) but fusing metal and a genre originating in punk music is the worst kind of offense, apparently 😉
Unfortunately this always comes with similar traits like sexism, homophobia and toxic gatekeeping.
Personally I’m in a weird spot where I really like classic metal but I also know it in and out so well that I barely want to listen to it anymore and I don’t find new stuff (that follows that classic style) exciting unless it’s crazy good (that still happens sometimes).
And as for metalcore, it’s usually best for me if they really lean either into the extreme heaviness or the technical side of things.

Some Protest The Hero:

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic