Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 1,331

Voltan

Holdsworth is amazing and so unique!

Voltan

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Honestly not one of my favourite Coltrane records by any stretch of the matter, even ignoring the somewhat dodgy circumstances about its release. Just never grabbed me.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Coltrane really wasn’t happy with the album. In fact, he hated it and didn’t want it released as he was embarrassed by it. Word is that he was completely off his face on LSD when recording it. After he died though, the record label released it anyway and marketed it to capitalise on the psychedelic rock scene.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett Haha, that's really interesting, I didn't know that. I'll avoid that album like the plague then. Microphones in 2020 instead ,it is then!

Edited on by TheBrandedSwordsman

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Have you listened to The Glow Pt 2 and Mount Eerie by The Microphones and then Phil Elverum’s later work under the Mount Eerie name? I’d recommend those before listening to Microphones in 2020 just because of how many callbacks there are to earlier albums.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@nessisonett I've heard most of them ,including Microphones in 2020, although the latter record references many aspects of Elverum's life, it's basically his life story in a single 44 minute song right?

"Ten thousand toadstools, with right purchase, could lift a man, I suppose. But what good would it do?"

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I hadn’t heard of them before that but it’s certainly interesting. Kinda reminiscent of The Residents but with a clearly modern foundation in electronica.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Maybe yeah, just depends on my mood at the time.

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan Really interested in the guitar player in your band, great shredding skills, how long has he been playing for? Did he train classically/take lessons? Got any other songs from the band that you can post featuring his guitar solos?

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman He has a solo in every song on the album, check it out here:
https://exlibrisband.bandcamp.com/album/shadowrise

He's also in a band called King Company (which is more of a melodic rock thing)

And has this thing with his brother, who played keyboards for Children of Bodom (one of the biggest metal bands from Finland) - mostly instrumental neo-classical metal stuff (it shows off the keyboards a little more than the guitars though)

I don't think he has any formal musical education.

Voltan

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan Brilliant stuff, as always, from Exlibris. You must be looking forward to getting out on the road again. When does lockdown end where you are? For gigs and whatnot?

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan Also, are you a fan of Children of Bodom? I've seen them live with that keyboard player, they were brilliant, and I crowdsurfed at the gig!

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman There's no official word on that. Looks like they will be allowing some limited capacity outdoor events this summer but smaller venues probably won't open a while longer. Us being in 2 different countries doesn't make it any easier so it will be a while still.

As for CoB, I listened to them a lot when I was younger, then I lost interest with some of the newer albums. The first time I saw them (2011) was extremely disappointing. Alexi Laiho (lead singer/guitarist, died in December) always had a big alcohol problem so that was most likely it, they all seemed extremely hungover that day. Saw them again in 2019 and it was a solid show.

Voltan

TheBrandedSwordsman

@Voltan I'm glad 2019 was a solid show, at least, great shame about Alexi Laiho, I think Warrel Dane from Nevermore died due to similar circumstances. Were you a fan of Nevermore? What have you been listening to recently? @Jimmer-jammer @nessisonett @Thrillho @Th3solution what have you guys been spinning recently?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Today I’ve been spinning one of my ultimate guilty pleasures: Love Death Immortality by The Glitch Mob. Electronic music at some of its best in my opinion. Carry The Sun is one of those songs that just lifts my spirits and puts a little more spring in my step every time I hear it.

True genuineness actually puts people off. The only way to combat this is with time. Stay true, and one time enemies may become long time friends.

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I've seen Warrel with Sanctuary (great show) and I'm a big fan of This Godless Endeavor. Other albums are a little hard to get into but there's always something intriguing about them.

@Jimmer-jammer Glitch Mob is pretty cool.

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic