Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Also, are you a fan of Children of Bodom? I've seen them live with that keyboard player, they were brilliant, and I crowdsurfed at the gig!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman There's no official word on that. Looks like they will be allowing some limited capacity outdoor events this summer but smaller venues probably won't open a while longer. Us being in 2 different countries doesn't make it any easier so it will be a while still.

As for CoB, I listened to them a lot when I was younger, then I lost interest with some of the newer albums. The first time I saw them (2011) was extremely disappointing. Alexi Laiho (lead singer/guitarist, died in December) always had a big alcohol problem so that was most likely it, they all seemed extremely hungover that day. Saw them again in 2019 and it was a solid show.

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I'm glad 2019 was a solid show, at least, great shame about Alexi Laiho, I think Warrel Dane from Nevermore died due to similar circumstances. Were you a fan of Nevermore? What have you been listening to recently? @Jimmer-jammer @nessisonett @Thrillho @Th3solution what have you guys been spinning recently?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman Today I’ve been spinning one of my ultimate guilty pleasures: Love Death Immortality by The Glitch Mob. Electronic music at some of its best in my opinion. Carry The Sun is one of those songs that just lifts my spirits and puts a little more spring in my step every time I hear it.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I've seen Warrel with Sanctuary (great show) and I'm a big fan of This Godless Endeavor. Other albums are a little hard to get into but there's always something intriguing about them.

@Jimmer-jammer Glitch Mob is pretty cool.

Voltan

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I listened to The Offspring’s Ixnay on the Hombre which was strangely good. Considering my only real knowledge of them was from their big hits, it was a surprise that I enjoyed it that much.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nomither6

is video game music allowed in this thread ?

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

Voltan

Something for those interested in the more elaborate side of heavy music... or the heavier side of elaborate music

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah early Offspring is meant to be amazing, the early demos I mean, as well as obviously really hard to get hold of - you can only download them really. I was thinking of getting Herbie Hancock's Man-Child album, after hearing a funky cut from it on Jazz FM, is the whole thing decent funk, do you know?

Black_Swordsman

@Jimmer-jammer Have you heard of Foodman? His EP Dokutsu, or at least some songs from that are on Youtube, you should check that out if you like electronic music, tell me what you reckon?

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Yeah, Dreaming Neon Black is the fans' favourite by them , but personally I prefer the poppier and more accessible Dead Heart In A Dead World, or at least I did, back when i still listened to heavy music. Do you like any Herbie Hancock? I was just telling ness I was listening to him recently.

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman I've been struggling with new stuff recently but I've been listening to AK/DK a lot recently. Terrible band name but I really like their latest album (the only one I have) and it's a good one for running to;

I did pick up the latest Red City Radio (a punk rock band) album this week and the debut album from a band called Squid who I've heard lots of good things about but haven't had chance to listen to the album yet.

For more ambient stuff, Emily A Sprague's album has been a good one to work to and I bought an EP by Lucinda Chua after hearing this track on 6music the other day;

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Thrillho I was listening to quite a bit of Squid myself as they've played them a lot on 6music recently, my favourite is the song from the EP which talks about "racing crazy horses, round my mind" - great lyric. The album sounds great by all accounts and from what I've heard. Who's your favourite presenter on 6?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ll check it out! I definitely have a soft spot for electronic music.

@Voltan They have a distinctive style within their genre. Plus I’m a complete sucker for three chord progressions and pushes, both of which they utilize plenty.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Thrillho

@TheBrandedSwordsman I don't mind most of the 6music DJs of the ones I've heard other than Shaun Keaveny (the same segments every time I just find frustrating) and Cerys Matthews show (as it just doesn't appeal to me at all).

The only ones I tend to catch up with are Huey Morgan and Craig Charles as they both play a lot of stuff I like but that I don't tend to listen to much otherwise. Tom Ravencroft I really like and Mary Anne Hobbs has some great sessions which I have luckily caught.

Thrillho

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman very cool! There’s something almost tactile to the sounds in these songs. I envisioned studious little robots going to work inside of a giant computer, retrieving soldering iron arm attachments from their tool kits, repairing and adding to the skyscrapers of silicon towering around them.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic