Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,261 to 1,280 of 2,197

JohnnyShoulder

Not listened to this yet, but thought I share it on here.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

MattW

Voltan wrote:

@TheBrandedSwordsman Ha! Nice
I've seen them live 3 times

I'll think of something in this vein then. Of course Guthrie is excellent on his solo stuff as well as records like Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Sounds very cool

MattW

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Favourite Jazz Fusion Guitarist/Guitar Shredder and relevant recommended albums? (Besides Guthrie of course).

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman That's a tough question because there's so many to consider but here's a couple names off the top of my head:

The one that probably had the biggest influence on my own playing (and yes, I do mean his guitar influenced my keys) is Paul Gilbert.

As far as guitarist who play both rock and jazz go, I think Andy Timmons is an extremely underrated player.

I'm not sure I'd call either of them my favorite overall but they're the ones I can think of reasons to mention

Voltan

Voltan

Holdsworth is amazing and so unique!

Voltan

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Honestly not one of my favourite Coltrane records by any stretch of the matter, even ignoring the somewhat dodgy circumstances about its release. Just never grabbed me.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Coltrane really wasn’t happy with the album. In fact, he hated it and didn’t want it released as he was embarrassed by it. Word is that he was completely off his face on LSD when recording it. After he died though, the record label released it anyway and marketed it to capitalise on the psychedelic rock scene.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Haha, that's really interesting, I didn't know that. I'll avoid that album like the plague then. Microphones in 2020 instead ,it is then!

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Have you listened to The Glow Pt 2 and Mount Eerie by The Microphones and then Phil Elverum’s later work under the Mount Eerie name? I’d recommend those before listening to Microphones in 2020 just because of how many callbacks there are to earlier albums.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I've heard most of them ,including Microphones in 2020, although the latter record references many aspects of Elverum's life, it's basically his life story in a single 44 minute song right?

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I hadn’t heard of them before that but it’s certainly interesting. Kinda reminiscent of The Residents but with a clearly modern foundation in electronica.

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Really interested in the guitar player in your band, great shredding skills, how long has he been playing for? Did he train classically/take lessons? Got any other songs from the band that you can post featuring his guitar solos?

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman He has a solo in every song on the album, check it out here:
https://exlibrisband.bandcamp.com/album/shadowrise

He's also in a band called King Company (which is more of a melodic rock thing)

And has this thing with his brother, who played keyboards for Children of Bodom (one of the biggest metal bands from Finland) - mostly instrumental neo-classical metal stuff (it shows off the keyboards a little more than the guitars though)

I don't think he has any formal musical education.

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Brilliant stuff, as always, from Exlibris. You must be looking forward to getting out on the road again. When does lockdown end where you are? For gigs and whatnot?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic