Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 2,197

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan I have this one on vinyl.

There you go! I kept expecting Carlos Santana to say "Or else fuh-ged-about-it" or "Pleyyyyed by Carlos Santana" into the mic at any moment haha.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan What do you make of the McLaughlin/Santana collaboration?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Checking it out rn. Opinions in 1 hour

edit: I'm getting interrupted by a million work related phone calls so it'll have to wait

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@LordSteev I was thinking of getting a few Sabbath records on vinyl; the first one, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Vol. 4 and Masters Of Reality, I thought that I'd heard Paranoid a few too many times to get that one. Any disagreement with my choices?

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Paranoid’s just so good though. Definitely my favourite of theirs. That reminds me that I really should pick it up on vinyl!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LordSteev

@TheBrandedSwordsman

No, I love early Sabbath, can't go wrong. Masters of Reality is probably my favorite of those you mention, after many listenings to all of them. Of those you listed, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is probably my least favorite, but it's still good. Also, my favorite singer of all time is Ronnie James Dio, so I love Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. Heaven and Hell is not only my favorite Sabbath album, but one of my top 5 all-time by anyone.

LordSteev

Black_Swordsman

@LordSteev Thanks for the advice, I might replace Sabbath Bloody Sabbath with a Dio-led album then, even though I love the album cover of SBS!.

Thrillho

@nessisonett I can’t listen to the original version of Paranoid after the cover by The Dickies; the original sounds far too slow!

I actually have this on 7” clear vinyl along with their covers of Banana Splits (yellow) and Nights in White Satin/The Sound of Silence (white)

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Voltan

Here's an interesting cover version of Paranoid from a band I like - they really made it work in their style IMO (although I won't blame anyone for thinking they actually ruined it )

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Did you manage to listen to McLaughlin/Santana in the end?

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I did!
It wasn't exactly what I expected. Not only is it partially a Coltrane tribute album but also there was way more shredding than I thought there would be
Good stuff but not something I'd listen to a lot to be honest. I really liked some of the organ parts - too bad there wasn't more of that

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Yeah, it's more of a guitarist's album right? I play guitar, jazz fusion, so that's why that album stood out for me, don't mind doing a bit of jazz fusion shredding on the electric guitar as I'm sure you're not averse to that on the keyboard!

Kidfried

If you're sitting in the train right now, listening to the Cuphead soundtrack, please know that I appreciate the soundtrack as well, but I don't need to hear it from the other side of the wagon. :')

Kidfried

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Ah, thanks, but no need, I've purchased all The Aristocrats works on CD over the years. I was even listening to You Know What..? in the car the other day. I love Guthrie Govan's guitar-work. Got any other recommendations?

Edit: Why won't The Aristocrats release anything on vinyl?!

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman Ha! Nice
I've seen them live 3 times

I'll think of something in this vein then. Of course Guthrie is excellent on his solo stuff as well as records like Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Voltan

nessisonett

I listened to The Disintegration Loops while doing an online exam. Probably the best music to do work to. Can’t say it’s my favourite avant-garde ambient piece but it’s strangely captivating.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan That was a truly magnificent guitar solo, I'll have to check out that album, thanks!. Wow! Really? What were they like live? By the way, where do you stand on Led Zeppelin? Note, though, it's important to realise Guthrie considers himself coming from a 'blues-rock' background so the old guard of rock n' roll is still very much present in his playing. Right?

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman They're pretty much like in their DVDs. Kinda static on stage but clearly having fun with the music. Some parts are always improvised but they understand each other so well you can pretty much never tell, unless they're just doing silly stuff on purpose. Every song is introduced with a short story. It's very much music mostly for musicians (first one time I saw them they actually asked who in the audience was a musician and at least 75% raised their hands) but it's a lot of fun. Great sound every time too. I guess it's easy to sound good when you play this tight.

As for Led Zep - I can't say I like everything they've done but I do like a lot of it and their best stuff is basically godlike.

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic