Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 2,192

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan can’t deny the awesomeness of those tracks nor the raw talent on display there, with the bassist being the unsung hero for me. Nice recommendation!

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer I'm hoping to finally see them live this year, along with another of my favorites - The Dear Hunter. They were supposed to be at a festival in Germany but obviously that got postponed. It's in October so I'm a little more optimistic about it than about any summer festivals.

(although tbh this is one of the bands that you need to listen to in the context of the entire album to get the full picture)

Voltan

Jimmer-jammer

@Voltan that was...quite the song! Very theatrical. What album would you recommend?

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Voltan

@Jimmer-jammer try either "Act IV" or "Act V" - the five acts are all parts of the same story but the first couple albums were kinda rough so I don't recommend starting with them for the best first impression - the band really matured later. This particular song is from Act IV.

Voltan

mrspider99

red hot chili peppers- someone is still listening ?

Edited on by mrspider99

mrspider99

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan What sort of weird fusion stuff are you referring to? And in terms of "complex" music, do you like jazz? You say you're a musician yourself, what do you play, and for how long?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman Think I’ll have a somber listen to Party Up (Up in Here) in memorial of DMX.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett R.I.P .By the way, I think they used that song in an episode of King of Queens, if you've ever seen that, great use of the song.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I do like jazz but I'd rather listen to modern stuff than most classics (which I do appreciate). The "weird fusion stuff" - I very much enjoy artists who blend jazz harmony with other genres and, having grown up listening to a lot of heavy metal, I do like when they can give it a bit of that heavier edge
Sooo I guess it can be anything from classic Return To Forever to the likes of Plini, with a whole bunch of nu-jazz, neo-soul, jazz pianinsts influenced by Armenian folk music etc in between
I can post some stuff if you'd like.
For now, here's Plini:

And here's my favorite album of 2018:

As a musician, I've been playing keyboards for about 23 years now, and I've been in bands for about 18 years - it's mostly heavy metal and hard rock but I'm writing a much more complex album now, hopefully to be recorded in a few months.
Also my current side-gig is writing orchestration for a pop ballad - making a very simple song sound like it could be in a Disney movie, lol

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Have you heard Tony Williams 'Emergency' album? or Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra? Those both feature John McLaughlin and are about as heavy as jazz gets, there is also A Tribute to Jack Johnson by Miles Davis which features McLaughlin as well. Surely you must already know of McLaughlin if you have an interest in heavier jazz?

Edit: I listened to the Plini track, good mix of jazz and classic rock, feel free to post more!

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah, I got a couple Mahavishnu albums on my shelves That's about as heavy as jazz got in their day though and we're in a very different time now
I don't think I've heard that Tony Williams album - I'll check it out.

I'll post some stuff in the evening!

Voltan

Voltan

Oh, btw - this is still the best musical performance ever recorded and I'll kick yo ass* if you say otherwise:

*in online Mortal Kombat 11

Voltan

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Where do you stand on Frank Zappa? Sorry if I've asked you before. Have you heard One Size Fits All? Highly recommended if you haven't. Brilliant jazz fusion/prog rock.

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I’ve honestly never been a big fan. My brother’s into him but that particular sound just isn’t to my tastes really.

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan Which Mahavishnu albums do you have? Looking forward to you posting more jazz-metal!

Voltan

@TheBrandedSwordsman I got Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame. TBH I haven't listened to any of those in some time.
I was busy unitl late last night so I didn't post anything but I will this evening for sure.
Just finished recording some vocal harmonies in Finnish (which I don't speak and have no idea what the lyrics mean lol).

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan I got The Inner Mounting Flame sent by Amazon accidentally. I’d ordered a synthpop album from about 2012 😂

Black_Swordsman

@Voltan The person could have been singing about washing their underpants for all you know! How did you get the gig recording in Finnish?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic