Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,581 to 8,600 of 8,788

CaptD

I'm getting in the Xmas spirit, watching Fatman on freevee starring Mel Gibson as everyone's favourite Mr Jolly. Pretty good for a Xmas film, fairly average otherwise.
Also watching 10 Cloverfield lane and Evil Dead part 3 on same service...seen them both before but both are excellent and worth a rewatch.

CaptD

XandertheWise

busy watching Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation that i recorded off of the Sy Fy Channel with my DVR from a week ago.

Been a long long time since ive seen Mortal Kombat Annihilation

XandertheWise

MightyDemon82

Just back from watching Godzilla minus one. Possibly the best Godzilla I've seen yet. Can't wait to see it again, my wife also enjoyed it and it's not really something she would usually watch!

Looking forward to The Boy & The Heron over the holidays.

MightyDemon82

LtSarge

Just finished watching Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. I really enjoyed it! It was awesome to see them go back to a setting with Nazis as the bad guys once again. Not to mention seeing Mads Mikkelsen as the villain in this movie was really cool.

I just couldn't help being worried about Harrison Ford in the movie. Every time he did something intense, I was worried he was going to get hurt lol. I mean, he's 80 years old now and they still had him in the movie.

But still, it was nice watching one last adventure with Indy.

LtSarge

LN78

Making my way through a stack of Shane Black written/directed action movies - which are typically set at or around Christmas. Today's was "Iron Man 3" which well not quite as awful as I remembered (salvaged almost entirely by Ben Kingsley's fantastic performance) is still in the bottom 3 of the pre-"Infinity War" MCU - the Mandarin "twist" was a colossal blunder, as evidenced by the later, cack-handed attempts to undo it. A veritable masterpiece of wit, subtlety and imagination compared to anything from the post-"Infinity War" MCU, though.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 I think I actively dislike Iron Man 3 more than I do anything post Infinity War though. A lot of the new stuff I feel massively ambivalent towards which is similar to I dunno, Thor 2 or something. It’s that age old argument with preferring something that makes an effort but you dislike it versus something that’s dull and makes you feel nothing at all.

On a related note, watched Saltburn. Hated it with every fibre of my being. Can’t bloody stand that nonsense posturing of incredibly posh writers moaning about how horrible posh people are.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Ah, a Shane Black marathon is a great idea! Might do one myself in the near future. Been a long time since I've watched most of them, but remember "The Last Boyscout", "The Long Kiss Goodnight" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" fondly. Unsure if I ever want to go back to "Lethal Weapon" and Mel Gibson, though

FuriousMachine

nessisonett

@FuriousMachine I dunno, if you think Mel Gibson’s bad then Shane Black continuing to cast a pedophile that groomed a 14 year old because he was his friend is probably just as bad.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@FuriousMachine I think I've got the single stinker out of the lot (I'm ignoring his "Predator" sequel as that one happens at Halloween) out of the way early and the excellent "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is next. I tend to be a "separate the art from the artist" sort of person so I'll happily watch and enjoy "Lethal Weapon" whilst thinking that Mel Gibson is a irreparable scumbag. Come to think of it, didn't Shane Black himself knowingly employ one of his sex offender mates in one of his movies? Point being that no (Hollywood!!) production is ever going to have been made entirely by people with unimpeachable moral characters.

LN78

FuriousMachine

I would rate "Iron Man 3" above "The Last Action Hero", which I didn't like all that much when I saw it as part of my Arnold marathon recently (I remember loving it when it came out, though). Same with "The Predator", I think. Was a huge let-down for me. The others are too distant memories for me to say for sure, but I would be surprised if the three I mentioned previously didn't end up as my top three Shane Black films.

I didn't know about the Shane Black criminal friend thing until it was mentioned here recently in a post that's since been deleted (probably because it contained the p-word), though it's not like I need everyone involved with the movie to have a spotless record. I do try to separate the art from the artist, but I struggle with it when the person front and center has done some reprehensible things and not served any time (if it was a criminal offense), has not performed any sort of penance/atonement or even bothered to offer an apology for their behavior (Gibson, Louis CK and Joss Whedon, among others, all seem to think that hiding from the spotlight for a while is sufficient and all will be forgiven). So, yeah, "Lethal Weapon" was a movie I loved (along with many other Gibson movies), but I will struggle to enjoy watching it again.

Edited on by FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine I haven't seen "Last Action Hero" in ages but I recall having hated it at first and then warming to it (and specifically Charles Dance's splendid villain) on repeat viewings much later on - how much of it was actually Shane Black's work is very much up for debate. The movie was rewritten and re-edited so many times (and it shows) - that it's coherent at all is a minor miracle. On the topic of the unrepentant Hollywood scumbag, might I suggest reading "High Concept" which is a biography of the late producer Don "Top Gun" Simpson? Learning about the depths of his depravity (and exactly how much the Hollywood establishment will forgive as long as a person is profitable) was truly toe curling!

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Oh yeah, Charles Dance! When I watched it again there was exactly three things that had stayed in my mind from the first time: Bridgette Wilson, who took residence in a huge part of my 19 year old brain, Tom Noonan as the axe-murderer (for some reason his face and name stuck with me, so whenever I saw him in any bit-part later I would think "axe dude Noonan!") and the brilliant Charles Dance with his dignified menace and interchangeable glass eyes. My first encounter with him and I've loved him ever since. Definitely the best part of the movie.

Great tip regarding the bad (worst?) half of Simpson/Bruckheimer powerhouse of the 80's and 90's; was unaware of that book so that goes high on my reading list. I knew he was a coke-fueled d-bag, but I'm not familiar with any details. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be shocked by any revelations in that book, though Thanks for the tip!

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine It's a fantastic read but it goes to some extremely dark places. Don't say I didn't warn you!

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Warning received I'm a misanthropic cynic at heart, so there is very little in terms of human depravity that will surprise me. As such, I should probably steer clear of books like this and seek out stories highlighting the good bits about humanity, but I guess my misanthropic nature just loves to wallow in these things so I can nod and say to myself "See? My lack of faith in humanity is justified"
(I do manage to counterprogram, though. Matthew McConaughey's "Green Light" is an example of easy bliss in book form for people like me )

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine I have a similar outlook but I do love a good Hollywood tell all - Julie Salmon's book "The Devil's Candy" (about the making of DePalma's disastrous "The Bonfire of the Vanities") and Bob Woodward's "Wired" (about John Belushi) are probably my favourites. It's very telling that in the midst of this discussion, Jonathan "Kang" Majors has been found guilty of beating up his girlfriend. That the MCU is in turnaround ("Deadpool 3" excepted) or hiatus for all of 2024 is probably for the best, all things considered.

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Both are added to my reading list
Too bad about Majors; I liked him and was hoping the allegations were false and/or frivolous. Still, he was found guilty on two charges and not guilty on two charges. Until I know the details of the various charges, I will reserve judgement.
Marvel and Disney dropped him promptly, though, so it will be interesting to see what will become of Kang. Rumour has it that they are considering replacing him with Dr. Doom, but I feel it will take a deft hand to pull off that switcheroo and deftness is something Disney and Marvel has been sorely lacking for a while.

FuriousMachine

LN78

@FuriousMachine I would bet on a recast rather than a pivot to Doom. They got rid of Terrance Howard easily enough, and without the existence of the multiverse to blow over convenient cover.

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Yeah, I think that would be the smart move, but I'm not sure I have faith in them to make the smart move As you said, the Multiverse and variant angle gives plenty of opportunity to just put anyone in the Kang role with easy justification (Loki having shown that variants can differ wildly... though I'm not sure if that has come across properly outside of Loki, so that might end up more confusing for some than just scrapping the whole Kang thing altogether and maybe doing a Red Skull kind of thing down the line to satisfy those who wondered "whatever happened to that time-travelling guy from that Ant-Man movie?")

FuriousMachine

LN78

I just ordered the new (supposedly reference quality) 4K blu-ray of "Titanic". Don't judge me.

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 No judgment here; considering doing the same. I haven't seen it since its original run in theatres, though, but I remember liking it in spite of all the naysayers of the time. No clue if it would hold up for me today. Will probably check out a rental before pulling the trigger on physical

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic