Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,401 to 7,420 of 8,074

nessisonett

@LN78 It was more the fact that the central twist and all that jazz just wasn’t very interesting? Like the whole ‘that was him near the start’ stuff and the aging and all that towards the end didn’t really serve to make the movie any more exciting. It’s a bit like Dunkirk, a fairly straightforward movie overcomplicated by Nolan’s ego.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@nessisonett I hated the score as well - there are quite a few people (including friends of mine) who think "Interstellar" is Nolan's best movie. Bunch of weirdos.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Once I learned ‘Hans Zimmer’ was just a sweatshop designed to exploit young composers struggling to break through, it completely made sense why his soundtracks have been a collection of branded loud booming sounds put together in a factory rather than actually being designed to suit the movies. Besides, if you want an indicator of the man’s actual quality as a solo composer before the studio money and free labour, listen to the war crime that is the Doctor Who charity single ‘Doctor in Distress’.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @LN78 Glad I'm not the only one who didn't think Interstellar was all that!

My first film of Spooky Season is Alien. The 4K transfer really is top class and is one of favourite films. Just wish they would hurry up and do Aliens on 4K blu ray!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

Just finished watching The Terminator. I've looked for so long for a streaming service that has this movie and I'm so glad that I finally got to watch it now. It was a pretty good movie overall! Really cool to see Arnold Schwarzenegger as an unstoppable machine (quite literally!). Although I didn't know that he was the bad guy, which surprised me. I knew nothing about this movie beforehand besides from some quotes. I still can't believe that it isn't Arnold who says "Come with me if you want to live". I thought it was him who said that all this time!

Anyway, good movie and I'm looking forward to watching the second one soon.

LtSarge

JohnnyShoulder

Went to the cinema and saw The Creator earlier. Really enjoyed it! Although an original IP, it feels a bit of a mix of films I'm really familiar with, so some may take umbragewith that. Some of the plot points felt coincidental and predictable also.

It looks amazing, looking better than films with a way bigger budget. None of it felt like it was CGI, but suitably epic and believable at the same time.

I thought the cast was really good, with a special mention to the young girl.

Not a masterpiece, but for an original story not based on existing material or a sequel, it gets the JS not boring sci-fi thumbs up!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

Watched the first two films in the Universal Monsters 4K set (they're only about 70 minutes apiece) "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" - both from the early 1930's. Interesting as historical curios - let's just say that cinematic techniques (acting and camera work particularly - "Dracula" is especially theatrical) have evolved a lot - but hardly enthralling. Fascinating that so much of the imagery from these earliest horror films has remained iconic, though and the 4K restorations (and the bonus features) are excellent. The next two are "The Invisible Man" and "The Wolfman".

LN78

cheetahman91

@LN78 I agree with your Dracula assessment. I rewatched it last week and still found it underwhelming. Can't complain about Lugosi though. I do like Frankenstein, but it's first two sequels are a definite improvement. The Invisible Man and The Wolfman, I can get behind those two, especially The Invisible Man.

Guess I'll talk about what I saw too. Watched Saw and The Haunting. Saw was great and I'll be watching it next October. As for The Haunting, good but the pacing really dragged at times.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

cheetahman91

@LtSarge If you enjoyed the first, you'll love the second one. Most people consider it an improvement.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

LN78

@cheetahman91 Which version of "The Haunting" did you watch - the excellent Robert Wise original or the decidedly not excellent Jan de Bont remake?

LN78

LN78

Watched the new 4K release of "The Exorcist" (specifically the Director's Cut) which remains an incontrovertible masterpiece of the genre, although honestly I find it more upsetting than scary. The restoration is excellent (especially in the the sound department - the new Atmos mix is ace) except during the climactic exorcism sequence when,for some reason, the resolution seems to drop off a cliff into SD territory. I've also seen this mentioned in a couple of Blu-Ray forums and on a YT review. It's very strange but I'm not sure who or what is to blame - perhaps a glitch at the mastering phase? I'll watch the theatrical version later to see if that has the same issue.

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Nosferatu is still the scariest version of Dracula I’ve seen. Unsettles me to no end.

LN78

@nessisonett I'd probably agree with that. My favourite is the Coppola version starring your pal Gary, the worst I've seen is the Mark Gatiss BBC concoction from a few years back and I say that having seen "Dracula:Dead and Loving It", "Dracula Untold" and "Dracula A.D.1972" .

LN78

nessisonett

@LN78 Gary Oldman is a guy I really like in certain roles but oh man, he’s so ridiculous in that movie. And he does my head in as Commissioner Gordon. And he shouldn’t have won the Oscar for a Churchill impression that you’d see in Goodnight Sweetheart starring Rodney.

Dracula the Gatiss/Moffat abomination was dreadful, apart from the second episode which I really liked. The other two were the very worst of that awful stinky vibes of self-congratulating industry luvvies. Claes Bang was good though especially considering that script, one hell of an actor. I could write a whole essay on why the woman that was Van Helsing epitomised every single issue that those two have with writing women. Instead just attempt to watch that Moffat program with David Tennant and that woman, Inside Man. I bet you couldn’t even last to the end of the second episode. It would make you shout at the TV. Moffat’s entire writing style makes my skin crawl, it’s like anything Whedon post Angel.

nessisonett

Part of me was tempted to do some sort of film club on here seeing as the Sony Pictures Core thing gives you free movies through PS Plus. Those movies though…. deary me. Nobody needs to see Gattaca. There’s several Kevin James movies. Look Who’s Talking AND Baby Geniuses??? Open Season 2 and 3 but not the first one with the inexplicable Paul Westerberg soundtrack?

Here are basically the only movies worth watching on it and by that I mean something that, good or bad, is worth a watch.

Django Unchained
District 9
Donnie Brasco
True Romance
Punch-Drunk Love
The Social Network
The Cable Guy
Easy A
Night of the Living Dead
Almost Famous
Sex Lies and Videotape
The Squid and the Whale
Tootsie
Five Easy Pieces
Girl, Interrupted
Midnight Express
Erin Brockovich
The Age of Innocence
Closer
My Girl
Stuart f**king Little

Bear in mind this is sifting through movies with either Kevin James, Adam Sandler or UFC fighters and it’s pretty grim. These are mostly movies that I’ve seen on every other streaming service and even then, half those movies I don’t even really like.

LN78

@nessisonett I like "Gattaca". Bought the 4K. Keep your opinions on what people "need to see" or what's "worth watching" to yourself, champ.
PS Adam Sandler is the lead in "Punch Drunk Love".

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

XandertheWise

i got a bunch of horror movies to watch this month

My Best Friend is a Vampire
Phenomena and its US version Creepers
Dead Space 1991
Serpent and the Rainbow
Pumpkinhead
Oculus
Return of the Living Dead 1 and 2
Hellraiser 1 and 2 the Uncut Unrated anchor bay DVD special editions
ABCs of Death 1 and 2
My Demon Lover
Nightmare on Elm Street 1-5 again for the gazillionth time lol

XandertheWise

LN78

Watched "Babylon" starring Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie. Sort of an ode to the silent era of Hollywood and all the debauched excesses that were going on at the time, director Damian Chazelle lost control of this one. The plot (such as it is) is all over the shop and the two lead performances are just watered down renditions of better characters from better movies. It's like being shouted at (for three hours!) by a wannabe P.T. Anderson and it's pretty obnoxious. I did like Jean Smart as the gossip columnist, though - she's always good value.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

FuriousMachine

@LN78 Haven't seen this, and now maybe I won't, but I agree; Jean Smart always delivers.
Loved her in both "Watchmen" and "Mare of Easttown". Which reminds me, for some reason, I haven't gotten around to seeing "Hacks" yet. Must get on that ASAP.

[Edited by FuriousMachine]

FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

Finally woke up an realized it's Spooktober, so got my act together and watched a couple of horror/thrillers yesterday.

Antebellum (HD streaming) had been on my watchlist for a while, so I finally got around to renting it on a streamer. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Great actors, a good concept and, good grief, a seriously uncomfortable watch. However, I can't help feel that it didn't manage to quite match its ambitions and is somewhat of a missed opportunity.

Capped of the evening by almost falling asleep to Cujo (also HD streaming), which I hadn't seen since probably the mid-90s. The movie isn't necessarily boring, but I was really tired and, man, it takes a while before it gets anywhere interesting. When the pooch goes mental, though, things get pretty gnarly and Dee Wallace and the kid who plays her son really elevate this movie, ultimately making it a decent watch. Pretty weird final shot, but that was just the way they did things back then, I guess?

On the non-horror front, I went to the cinema on Friday and saw the French drama Return to Seoul (Retour a Seoul), but I'm still processing my thoughts on that one. Might share later.

If playing Factorio doesn't eat up my entire Sunday, I will probably further celebrate Spooktober by checking out my fresh 4-disc Collector's Edition of The Mist

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic