Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 7,401 to 7,420 of 8,865

colonelkilgore

@LN78 yeah that is a great show, Justified is also very good… if a fair bit lighter in tone.

Tried getting the missus into Deadwood a year or so back… she lasted 2 eps before asking if we could watch something else 😔

**** DLC!

LN78

@colonelkilgore It's not for everyone, that's for sure. I was so glad that they got to wrap it all up with the movie a couple of years back. Great stuff.

LN78

LN78

I just got "Clerks 3" on blu-ray in the mail. It has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. I found that incredibly amusing for some reason.

LN78

LN78

@WanderingBullet Oh god. Why does he have to keep giving ammo to the "Gunn is a P*do" crowd?

LN78

colonelkilgore

@WanderingBullet love Justice League Unlimited! Never seen Young Justice but heard it’s very good. Looks like Gunn is wisely just doing the Timm-verse then (even though he didn’t work onYJ, it’s supposedly heavily influenced by Timm’s work).

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

WanderingBullet

@colonelkilgore The fact that he said Justice League Unlimited and not just Justice League makes me wonder if we'll be seeing more not so popular/underrated members being introduced.

Young Justice was available on Netflix before but they removed it earlier this year.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

nessisonett

@LN78 Both Go and Young Sherlock Holmes are cult classics for a reason! And yep, Steal My Sunshine is one of the catchiest songs ever devised.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LN78

@KAIRU We're marathoning them in 4K in the week between Xmas and New Years instead of "The Lord of the Rings" for a change. I'm fairly confident that the first two are borderline unwatchable but we shall see - I haven't even tried to sit through them in many years.

LN78

LN78

@nessisonett If it wasn't for the unbelievably irritating "comedy Brit" character and the fact that Katie Holmes cannot act at all I would probably rate "Go" as an all timer.

LN78

XandertheWise

just bought the DVD for the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot movie from Walmart yesterday.

Just wondering what you people here think about the movie?

XandertheWise

LN78

@KAIRU They've been a huge annual tradition in our house ever since they came out on home video about 20 years ago. We decided to go for the "Harry Potter" films this year because my brother has just finished "Rings of Power" and he's a bit Tolkien'd out, poor chap.

LN78

LN78

During the 80's and Early 90's, the James Bond movie was as reliable a Christmas staple as the Queen's Speech, naff cracker jokes and everybody ignoring ancient Auntie Beryl's racist tirades during festive lunch, but to my knowledge there's only one Bond film actually set at Christmas and that's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (AKA the George Lazenby one) directed by longtime series editor Peter Hunt in 1969.

Thanks to the absence of Connery or Moore, I didn't really watch this one very often during my youth when a VHS of one Bond adventure or another was typically in the machine (alternating with a Spielberg or Lucas adjacent masterpiece) on most weekends and I perceived it as something of a "knock-off" shoddy second rate entry in the canon - a view I later discovered was shared by many a fan of the series, especially at the time of the film's release with usurper Lazenby being especially (and perhaps unfairly) pilloried by most quarters of the film-going public and press. This was a mistake.

In recent years "OHMSS" has undergone a massive critical and popular reappraisal, going from black sheep to diamond in the rough with many (especially in the hardcore Bond community) even citing it as the best film in the entire series - despite (and many argue because of) Lazenby's somewhat naive performance. I'm not in that camp - I don't think it's the best of the films (that would be "From Russia With Love") and it's certainly not the worst (hello "Die Another Day") but because of its anomalous casting, continuity breaking story (Hunt insisted on faithfully adapting the novel, so Blofeld having met Bond in the previous movie "You Only Live Twice" is conveniently forgotton about) and occasionally bizarre directorial flourishes (fourth wall breaks and all) it is easily the most interesting. The music is wonderful, the action sequences are solid as a rock, Diana Rigg's Tracey is by leaps and bounds the best of the 60's Bond female leads and I honestly don't think Connery or Moore could've pulled off that heartbreaking final scene half as well as Lazenby did. It's one of the best moments in the entire 25 film franchise so kudos to the man for that.

George Lazenby bluffed his way into the part in one of the most brazen acts of ego fuelled bravado in the history of Hollywood casting and got stage managed straight back out of it again by a spectacularly shortsighted agent who convinced him that the Bond franchise was dead, costing him untold millions and forever altering the course of popular culture. You really couldn't make it up if you tried.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

"Trading Places" is that most unusual of creatures - a comedy set at Christmas time that's actually funny. Released in 1983, it caught three comedy movie heavyweights (Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy and director John Landis) at or near the peak of their powers and combined with a witty script (essentially "The Prince and The Pauper" meets "Wall Street") and a great supporting cast (Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche as the villainous billionaire brothers, Jamie Lee Curtis and Denholm Elliott as the stars' accomplices) they made it a huge hit that has (deservedly) gone on to be something of a seasonal classic. All that being said, it's very much a product of its time - it contains (deep breath): both flavours of "f-bomb", the "n" word, several instances of gratuitous female nudity, some casual 80's Hollywood homophobia, a secondary villain being raped by a gorilla and Dan Aykroyd in black face - so approach with caution. I laughed very heartily 5 or 6 times, which is 5 or 6 times more than I laughed at every other so called Christmas comedy we've watched so far this December (with the exception of "Elf" - but we'd seen that before) combined, so (with the caveats I mentioned) it comes highly recommended. Comedies really should be funny, don't you think?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

JohnnyShoulder

@JudgeDredd The best Scottish non-Russian accent I've heard.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

Finished watching Predator 2. Decent movie but definitely not as memorable as the first one with Arnold. Although I'll have to admit, the last half hour was good stuff.

Next up is Alien vs Predator.

LtSarge

MightyDemon82

Just finished watching Glass Onion on Netflix. Thought it was better than Knives Out.

MightyDemon82

RR529

My 2022 movie ranking (people are starting to do this on the NL movie thread, so I figured I'd just paste over my post since I spent so much time on it).

12. Thor: Love & Thunder (Theatre 3D) - Had some cool moments, but leaned way too heavily into comedy (that didn't always work). Gorr could have used some more fleshing out too. The black & white scene on that moon looked dope though (especially in 3D).

11. Morbius (Netflix) - This wasn't even all that terrible IMO. Just felt like an average 00's superhero flick, and they've evolved so much so by now (I think it could have hit harder had they been allowed to get a bit gorier, but as a Spider-Man adjacent property that was never going to happen).

10. Jurassic World: Dominion (Theatre 3D) - While it was cool seeing most of the old cast again & there is an inherent level of fun with dinos, this was very been there seen that & it's disappointing because it didn't have to be. The big premise is that the dinos are finally out of the park/reserve, then they go ahead and reign it in to our heroes having to escape a dino reserve anyways.

9. the Bob's Burgers Movie (Hulu) - Bob's Burgers isn't one of my favorite adult animated comedies, but it's still pretty okay & this is pretty much a really long, better animated episode of the show. One for the fans.

8. Chip N' Dale: Rescue Rangers (Disney +) - A bit more of a B-grade Disney film, but it was still a pretty good time with some fun cameos.

7. Turning Red (Disney +) - As someone who was a young teen in the early 2000's with a taste for anime I thought this was pretty fun too. Not being a girl it didn't connect with me as well as it could have, but I'm glad it exists.

6. Lightyear (Theatre 3D) - Maybe the most controversial thing in this ranking, but I actually kinda liked this. Now, it probably didn't need to be a Toy Story tie in (though it made a few references) and I get why it could be a bit slow for young kids, but as someone who enjoys deep space sci-fi I thought it was actually a pretty good time (and had some cool 3D scenes), and is the best thing Pixar has released in awhile.

5. Prey (Hulu) - Really solid, back to basics Predator prequel, with some suitably brutal kills.

4. Doctor Strange & the Multiverse of Madness (Theatre 3D) - Maybe a bit high because I thought it made really good use of 3D, but I thought this was really fun & I liked the light horror elements.

3. Blonde (Netflix) - Parts of this were hard to watch (and from what I understand, it plays very fast & loose with the facts for drama's sake), but it was absolutely excellently shot & one of the most memorable things I've seen this year.

2. Top Gun: Maverick (Theatre) - The quintessential summer blockbuster. With a narrative that pays homage to the original without being overbearing with it, it's an absolute thrill on the big screen.

1. Avatar: the Way of Water (IMAX 3D) - The visuals & 3D are an absolute religious experience, and while the middle might be a tad slow the climax is a tour de force of thrilling action, and the story is quite a bit improved over the original with a family angle that gives it a more personal stakes.

Honorable mention to the Avatar rerelease (Theatre 3D), which while technically not a 2022 film was a fantastic theatre experience in it's own right (it'd easily fit there alongside Blonde or Maverick if I had to place it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

Everything Everywhere All at Once. Fantastic. Definitely one of my fave films of this year. Some bonkers fight scenes, and I can't decide which I preferred from the super pinky one or the scene before it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic