Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,561 to 3,580 of 8,866

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder No idea, as I haven't seen Mandy. But I saw a trailer for it on the DVD, and it looked fun as hell, so I'll be getting on that.

@nessisonett What issues did you have with TDK?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

belmont

@nessisonett In reprospective Batman VS Superman feels more like a Superhero film than the Batman trilogy. I like the trilogy but I always felt that they could be action cop movies with a policeman of something as the mean character

belmont

nessisonett

@Ralizah The sound mixing on TDK does my head in as the voices are really quiet and the action is way louder. I literally turned my TV audio up to 50 (it usually sits at around 17-18) and the voices were still muffled. In TDKR, the audio’s still wonky but with added Bane overdubbing which sounds really weird. I appreciate the change as otherwise he would be unintelligible but it really does sound wrong. Another problem for me with TDK is the action as it uses rapid cuts to mask the fact Batman isn’t actually punching the bad guys irl. This was carried through to TDKR and it just feels hectic and messy. I understand it’s not much better in Begins but that felt a bit better because Batman’s still training so it would be a bit messy. I’m going to post this video of Liam Neeson jumping a fence in Taken because I mentioned it in my previous take on TDK and it perfectly captures the fight choreography in the trilogy as a whole.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I never knew I needed so many angles of a man (or several men, let's be honest) jumping over a fence. Other fence-jumping films are gonna feel so empty now.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Mandy is certainly an aquired taste. I couldn't say it was a good film, but I could not take my eyes of it!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

Speaking of wrestling, Chris Hemsworth is portraying Hulk Hogan in a biopic directed by Todd Phillips.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

kyleforrester87

I picked up First Love from HVM today because I liked the cover, seems to have reviewed pretty well - excited to watch it on the weekend.

”One night in Tokyo, a self-confident young boxer and a prostitute get caught up in a drug-smuggling plot involving organized crime, corrupt cops and a female assassin.”

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah yeah Mandy is great. A film of two halves really, the first being my favourite by far but the entire thing has its moments. I don’t normally mind longer films, and I’m not even sure if it’s classed as a longer film if I am honest, but if I had to say something negative it’s probably 15-20 minutes too long for it’s own good. It’s almost time for me to give it another watch.

Edit: just realised you saw Colour Out of Space too. Looking forward to that (don’t think it’s out here yet?). It doesn’t look as good as Mandy though. If you do see Mandy soon it’d be good to hear which is better. Would like to be more excited to see Colour Out of Space, sooo...

(It’s out in the UK April 6th, apparently. Maybe it’s available for streaming sooner though!)

kyleforrester87

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 I saw that Colour Out of Space is available to buy or rent from Rakuten. It wasn't on any other service as I checked on the weekend.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo

speaking of Batman they have released pics of the new Batmobile, what do you think?

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo Woah I love it. It looks proper retro, kinda Dodge Challenger-esque. Very 70s cop car.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett that's the vibe i got too

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87 we talk about Star Wars in the Star Trek thread

i know, talking about Wars in a Trek thread but it's kind a become a Trek, Wars and Doctor Who thread now

kyleforrester87

@LN78 hmmm that sounds like one for Chit Chat if you ask me, after a couple of posts it’ll start leaning more toward one or the other and a responsible user can take it to the relevant location 👍🏻

kyleforrester87

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87 it's not too bad

kyleforrester87

@LN78 Second viewing - loved it. Have hardly stopped thinking about it since, actually. I really didn’t remember the last part from my first viewing, until it was happening.

This ones a bit different since I was pretty drunk the first time I saw it, but I do struggle to follow certain types of movie during the first viewing - whether that’s because they are complex, obtuse, I’m looking for something that isn’t there or if I’m just enjoying the imagery/sound or I’m a bit dumb, I don’t know.

So yes, second viewing was really worthwhile to me.

I still really loved Jennifer Carpenters scene. I read a review on IMDB afterwards, where the guy hated the movie and slated her part since it served no purpose. I thought it was a stroke of genius building her character up so much only to have her killed. In any other movie they’d have just cut to the bank job, killed a nobody and you’d not give a damn. I keep thinking about how bad her husband must have felt sending her off to work that day lol.

Also I loved all the static camera work. Kind of seemed amateurish, but I enjoyed it.

Edit:

As for plot holes I don’t get too worked up about those, like how is the lady at the end going to do anything with a box full of bullion 🤷‍♂️

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic