Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 8,866

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Stop it, you're in danger of making me watch them again.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Haha, oh just wait until I come on here and report on how life changing the conclusion to Harry Potter is! 😜

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

Ralizah wrote:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_king_of_the_monster...

90% audience score. About what I expected. The kaiju fans who are going to see this are loving it.

Movie critics, once again, are demonstrating their own irrelevance.

No surprise there, the sequel's got a lot of epic monster fight scenes which is exactly what fans wanted to see in the first movie. On the other hand, I didn't care much for the human characters. Not to say the performances were bad but for the most part it felt like they're in the movie just to provide expositions. Interested to see if Godzilla vs. Kong will have both of them eventually teaming up to fight another monster.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

jacobia

Bought and watched Mandy on Blu-ray the other week.....crazy and beautiful movie starring Nicholas Cage. Great concept, stunningly shot, directed and scored, very trippy, but......the latter half doesn’t deliver what the set up intimates: Cage going full rage-crazy. Still very good though, definitely worth a watch...........👍🤪

Edited on by jacobia

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

kyleforrester87

@jacobia I agree, the second half (all the revenge stuff) is disappointing to be honest but the set up is fantastic and on the whole it’s an awesome game. The soundtrack throughout is amazing and those title cards are the nuts. Love the last scene with Cage in the car too.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RR529

Rim of the World (Netflix Original Film) - A callback to the 80's youth adventure genre (with a few other references, such as a nearly blatant copy of the Jurassic Park kitchen scene), that sees a group of young teens at summer camp end up on an adventure to save the planet from an alien invasion. It mixes comedy (these kids can have some potty mouths, particularly Dariush) with more tense moments. Overall it's mostly dumb fun not to be taken too seriously, and while the CGI isn't the best, due to the tone of the film I didn't mind. If you know what you're getting yourself into it can be a fun watch.

I only found out about it after I ran across a Yahoo article talking about how it was causing an "uproar" over racist jokes (and they even managed to scrounge up 4 or 5 negative tweets as proof!). Admittedly It does rely on a lot of established tropes & cliches (in all aspects), but it's all in an effort to capture the vibe of said 80's films, and while that may mean it has some humour that doesn't gel with with a certain very socially minded segment of today's population, the second coming of Birth of a Nation this is not.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Just got back from Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and it's official: I will never, ever trust the critical consensus on any film ever again. That was an experience. Which isn't to say it was perfect (the "comic relief" character who kept making fun of the monster names can go die in a ditch, please), but it was pretty much everything I could have ever expected from a Western-made Godzilla film: it was incredibly well-paced and never really had a "down moment," the effects and fights were absolutely spectacular (I love how Ghidorah is almost literally a force of nature, and, from a distance, you can see his spooky silhouette amidst a rumbling bank of storm clouds; they might have overdone Mothra's radiance a tad, but she was quite elegant and scene-stealing the few times she did show up), the human story perfectly supplemented the monster side of things without ever drawing attention away from it, and a LOT of personality was added to the monsters themselves. The score was great, too, especially near the end when they incorporated a lot of remixed but imminently recognizable classic Godzilla tunes.

Not as good as the best Japanese films, if only because the creature is uniquely Japanese and is much more meaningful in that context, whether it be the incarnation of American atomic death in the original, the representation of Japan's sins during WW2 in All-Out Monsters Attack, or a constantly looming threat that exposes the incompetence of Japan's government during crisis situations in Shin Godzilla, but it's absolutely tops when it comes to the more Creature-Featurey installments. This beats the pants off of something like Destroy All Monsters; just sayin'.

The human characters... are OK. Certainly more interesting than the non-entities in the 2014 film. Vera Farmiga's character is a bit much, but she's a stellar actress and does the best she can with what she was given. I feel like Ken Watanabe's character needed more... exploration to make his pivotal scene in the film really connect. In general, I do agree that more could have been done on the human side of things. But it wasn't nearly the train wreck it was made out to be by critics, and, more importantly, it integrated perfectly with the larger plot.

I really, really dig the stark, apocalyptic vibe of the final hour or so of the film. It was really well-done, and they did a great job selling Ghidorah as a terrifying threat.

Definitely my favorite non-documentary film of the year. It's not off to a super start in the States, but it seems to be performing well overseas. Hopefully it does well enough to justify continuing the development of this big-budget kaiju franchise after Kong vs. Godzilla next year.

Am I the only one who thinks they're totally foreshadowing Mecha-King Ghidorah in the after-credits scene?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Jaz007

I saw Aladdin yesterday. It was fantastic. It was a faithful renake of the original, and I don’t understand why people complain about how it is as shot for shot the original movie in a lot of ways. It’s supposed to be that. It’s a remake not a reboot. It’s a good thing.
They did make enough changes to fit live action. They say they handled Aladdin being a thief and a rogue was excellently done. The stealing and parkour were really cool. They also changed enough to allow for Will Smith’s Genie to shine while still being faithful.
Speaking of which, Will Smith is a perfect live action genie. He did it so well and exceeded expectations. He was hilarious and made it his own role.
The parade scene in particular was fantastic and was a complete and total joy to watch.
The new song, “Speechless” I think it’s called wasn’t the best. It felt a bit heavy handed and kinda like they’re trying to make Let it Go 2.0. They definitely changed Let it Go. A small complaint though.
Overall it was a amazing adaption and I highly recommend it

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah Cool! Hopefully I get to see it while it's still in rotation.

@Jaz007 Are there any 'trademark' Guy Ritchie moments/quick cut, quick fire 'this is the plan' explanation scenes?

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@Ralizah Is the movie worthwhile for someone who hasn’t followed the lore and genre of the Godzilla movies? I think I’ve seen one of them a few years ago, and I don’t even know what it was called.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 Colour me surprised!!

@Th3solution It's a direct sequel to the American 2014 film, so beyond that it should be alright... actually, even without seeing that I'm assuming it'll be alright

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Ralizah

@Th3solution There are a few recurring characters from the 2014 film, but this film explains anything you might need to know to enjoy it.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

@Th3solution @KALofKRYPTON It's a direct sequel to Godzilla (2014) as well as Kong: Skull Island. And will lead up to next year's release of Godzilla Vs King Kong.

Together they are the Monsterverse basically their take on a MCU.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Th3solution

@Tasuki oh, ok. I think I heard good things about Skull Island. Never saw it though. I think the 2014 Godzilla was the one I saw, but remember nothing about it.

KALofKRYPTON

@Tasuki I do hate the notion that they're going to have to contrive a way for King Kong to stand a chance against Godzilla 😂

jacobia

@KALofKRYPTON I think it was stated in Kong: Skull Island that he was still growing. That would certainly suffice for Kong to eventually be on par with Godzilla.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

KALofKRYPTON

@jacobia If Godzilla can still beat Ghidorah (which I'm assuming he does in the latest film, and that Ghidorah isn't nerfed), then really big ape shouldn't be a problem 😂

Even if Kong ends up the same same size as Godzilla, a quick nuclear-fire snog should sort him out! 😂😂

jacobia

@KAKofKRYPTON Yeah man, that nuclear-fire snog...get’s em every time!🤣....
But, seriously (as far as giant monsters-in-a-movie goes!), with Kong being a primate with a bigger brain than Godzilla, he might be smarter, plus he’s got longer arms, bigger hands (and you know what they say about primates with bigger hands), upper torso strength, moves around quicker and is much more agile than Godzilla 🤷🏻‍♂️

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

Th3solution

@jacobia @KALofKRYPTON Opposable thumbs rule the animal kingdom, bruh.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic