Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 9,501 to 9,520 of 10,090

nessisonett

@KAIRU It sounds like a funny thing when you say it like that but it’s a profoundly terrifying prospect growing up in a city with marches every July actively calling for your community to be murdered in their thousands. We make fun of it but from the outside looking in, it must seem rather mad to just accept that every year you have to stay indoors several weekends in case a mob of nutters smell the Catholic off you.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KAIRU

@nessisonett Guess you may stay in then.

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

nessisonett

@KAIRU It should be banned, crazy that you can march about celebrating murdering people.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @KAIRU Sounds like something out of The Purge films!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KAIRU

Removed - disrespecting others

"A corpse... should be left well alone. Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly. Only an honest death will cure you now. Liberate you, from your wild curiosity." - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower.

PSN: KairuDoes

oliverp

So I find it very interesting that there is so many games today, even modern ones which I feel are very underappreciated or basically unknown to most people.. Even among gamers.. Its really feel like almost all games deserves a community of its own. On another note it fleet very cool that I today learned a 50 year old lady to play Chinese checkers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_checkers). She had never played that board game before but seemed really delighted to learning it. Felt so glad that I had the chance to learn her a little bit about the game at least.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

oliverp

oliverp wrote:

So I find it very interesting that there is so many games today, even modern ones which I feel are very underappreciated or basically unknown to most people.. Even among gamers..

I guess it has something to do with there are like a few franchises that are so big today that it is also easy to miss out on many games..

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

MightyDemon82

@oliverp Yes we are spoiled for choice. Which ones in particular are you thinking of?

MightyDemon82

ralphdibny

Soooo, the flat above us has sprung a leak.

It's 10pm and they aren't home. Any tips? We've stuck a note through their door, do we just wait for them to come home?

I guess we can't call our own landlord/letting agent as we don't have their number/they are not open respectively. Even then, it's not like they have anything to do with the flat above us so far as we know.

It's tripped our breaker switch and we don't have any lighting. Not a major issue because we have lamps on a different breaker, just no ceiling lights.

It's not leaking heavily yet. It was coming out of a wall light fitting in the bathroom which tripped the breaker initially. An hour or 2 later, it's made a damp patch on the wall in our bedroom (opposite side to that wall light) and small drips have appeared on the bathroom ceiling and on the door frame of our boiler cupboard - it's obviously leaking through the walls and ceiling from the adjacent bathroom/boiler cupboard upstairs

Is it just a waiting game or does anyone know of anything we can do in the meantime?

Update: they've come home and turned their water off so hopefully it all dries out and we can have our lights back tomorrow!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@ralphdibny I would definitely contact your landlord to let them know, as they will need to see about who is paying for repairing any damage done.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

ralphdibny

@JohnnyShoulder cheers, have just submitted something through the letting agents online repair portal to keep them updated on the situation!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, I'd recommend getting your landlord / letting agent to perform an electrical check before you start trying to re-activate anything that tripped. From what you're describing, the damage doesn't sound like it'll be too extensive, but it's always better safe than sorry when it comes to electrics.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger cheers, yeah I'll see what they say! It doesn't look too bad but obviously got no idea what it looks like inside the walls/ceiling. Luckily because the power tripped, we were alerted immediately and could mop up and clean stuff so shouldn't have too much staining at least.

@kyleforrester87 you coming round to have a butchers? 😆🤣

See ya!

kyleforrester87

@ralphdibny Just fire her up, if she holds she's good, if she trips get the hairdryer out - it's all an electrician will do lol

These things often look worse than they are, good time of year to have a leak ultimately, and it getting through a light fitting is better than it soaking into walls and ceilings.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

ralphdibny

@kyleforrester87
Untitled

Cheers, well I've got the dehumidifiers running at the moment. Will probably check it again later.

Thankfully doesn't look too bad anyway, just no lights. But the plugs still working so we can light it up with lamps at least!

See ya!

render

@ralphdibny We had a leak from the upstairs bathroom but luckily that mostly came through a light fitting. There was an amazing amount of water from what was a very small leak but it had all gathered in the glass shade below and then eventually got too heavy and smashed down on floor. As most of the water had gone that way it was just a case of drying everything out and then doing a bit of patching up of the paintwork and buying a new light fitting. You can always use a dehumidifier if you've got one as that will speed up the drying process.

Edit: ignore the dehumidifier bit as it's a bit redundant now based on your previous post 😂

Edited on by render

render

ralphdibny

@render that's a point actually, I should probably check the main light fitting in the bathroom at some point. Just a bit of a waiting game at the moment so I have time.

Thankfully cosmetic damage doesn't look too bad, the paintwork in this flat wasn't in the best of conditions when we moved in anyway!

Haha yeah both my partner and I had dehumidifiers cos she had damp in her old apartment and my bedroom at my parents place was very mouldy at one point. Now we use them to dry our clothes. Very handy pieces of kit!

See ya!

Black_Swordsman

@LieutenantFatman It's perfectly alright old chap, I don't visit too often myself nowadays either. Good to hear about the tabletop games. No to Elden Ring, a sweet farming spot got locked off to me and that's normally how I complete these games - I am planning on playing Demon's Souls Remake at Christmas though. What are you playing?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

I'm looking to reduce my monthly outgoings further (I've already reduced my monthly payments for my electric and broadband), and as I've paid off my mobile phone now, that I was next on my hit list.

I usually upgrade, but as my phone is not broken or anything, I thought I'd go with a sim only package this time to save on some cash.

So I'm checking the app for my current provider to see what deals they have. It details that my monthly data usage is around 2.5gb. Of course, they recommend me a package with 30gb data allowance! 🙄

They obviously do have packages which suit me better, but I've shopped around a bit and have found a better deal. I've been thinking of changing for some time now, as the internet when I'm not home is not reliable. There have been at times at work when I get no internet connection even though the 4/5G symbol is up on my phone. I talked to a few people at work, and they have said they have similar issues on the same network as me. So I think now is a good time to change as any. Bit of a shame, as I've been with the same provider for about 20 years now.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic