Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 8,081 to 8,100 of 10,077

Voltan

Gaming Twitter's been wild since the Final Fantasy announcements. I do not recommend it and I might need a break

Voltan

JohnnyShoulder

@Voltan I've not been on it since they announced it and am about to venture on there! Wish me luck!

@nessisonett Well done on your dissertation, and hope your foot is not as painful as it sounds.

@JudgeDredd That one heck of a week! Hope everything works out for you and your family.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

render

@nessisonett That’s a hell of an undertaking but ultimately sounds quite interesting. Did you actually produce a working system? I still remember doing mine - a radar line of sight system using data provided by the company I worked for on my year out. What made that worse was I had to write it in Ada which just made it a chore.

render

nessisonett

@render Yeah, it was based off a system my advisor developed back in 2009 so while I had the basic structure, I had to bring it up to modern standards. That mostly involved completely rewriting the system as a web app using JavaScript, PHP and everything in between. The original used Flash so it’s not as if I could really use much of the code! Thanks to the wonders of fair use, I could use roughly 8 seconds of copyrighted songs so the users selected clips of music which they would then pick out of a lineup. Because it was developed for older people, I used music from the 50s to 70s so it was from their younger days as it’s been proven that music stays in the memory way longer, even with fairly advanced dementia and Alzheimer’s. As much as it was just a prototype, I was pretty amazed by the results from my testers, there were people in their early 90s that were remembering this password a couple of weeks later. As much as they took a bit longer to log into the system, they did remember it at least.

Your paper actually sounds like it would be relatively interesting if it wasn’t for Ada! There were a few ones similar to that which I knew people were working on, although using weather data and the like rather than radar. The coolest one I saw during the development stage was a guy’s I had another class with, who created an image splitting app across several monitors. He demonstrated by showing us half a cat picture on his phone, and then the other half on his brother’s phone! When he put the two phones together, to create the full image, it blew my mind that he’d managed that amount of work so soon.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

render

@nessisonett Flash! I can understand why that was pretty much a write off. At one stage pretty much every website going was littered with the thing, usually just to load a custom font or to do some awful splash screen to waste your time. It also had the distinction for being the only plugin worse than Java applets for security holes 😂

Seriously though it really does sound like a great project, no doubt made more challenging due to the pandemic. Must have been rewarding to actually see how successful it was with some real user testing.

render

nessisonett

@render Yep, I took a look at the Flash code (seeing as I can’t even actually run it anymore) and realised I’d be better starting from complete scratch! I may have fond memories of Flash games but I absolutely understand why it’s been deprecated.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I could have done with that yesterday when I had forgotten my password at work! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Anti-Matter

I'm HUNGRY !!!
Untitled

Make me CHEESE BURGER !!! 🍔

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Thrillho

@JudgeDredd My dad always had a pair of Speedos when I was a kid and only got rid of them when the first S fell off the lettering on the front…

Thrillho

render

I prefer the Australian slang for a pair of Speedos - Budgie Smugglers! 😄

render

Anti-Matter

@lolwhatno
Speedo is sexy for bodybuilder. 😘

Also, I'm HUNGRY !!!
Go to the kitchen and make me cheese burger ! 🍔

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@lolwhatno
Because why not ?
To attract other peoples.
Men can be sexy with right fashion items and the styling.

Anti-Matter

nessisonett

@lolwhatno You know it’s bad when Anti-Matter is making more prevalent points.

LieutenantFatman

It is a dangerous game, you lose even if you win, plus you end up wanting a cheese burger. It's just not healthy. But it is tasty and that's what really matters.

LieutenantFatman

MightyDemon82

@lolwhatno You have to deliver Anti-Matter a cheese burger whilst wearing nothing but budgie smugglers 😂

MightyDemon82

Tjuz

@lolwhatno So your main argument for not allowing women to make their own choices on how to dress is... they might feel pressured into dressing a certain way? I'm sure there are plenty of men who might not feel the most comfortable showing a lot of their body while swimming who feel pressured as well, but that doesn't mean we've taken the freedom away to make your own choice. Should we start forcing men to cover up more too to protect them from peer pressure? Not to mention that this particular story is happening in Germany, where nudism in general is a lot more socially acceptable to begin with than in other countries. I'm sure that there are a lot of women who would happily embrace this change, and it's extremely arrogant to imply that you would know better than them. Besides, if your argument is leaning more towards eliminating the sexualisation of women in society... then I think you're heavily misguided in choosing this particular story as your hill to die on.

P.S. You clearly were trying to start an argument, which is obvious from you already debating points no one had even brought up yet in an attempt to get out in front of them. You can just stop trying to convince us otherwise and drop that facade already. Nothing wrong with a good, respectful debate.

Tjuz

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic